Author Topic: What did you do today lighting wise?  (Read 261381 times)
AngryHorse

View Posts
View Gallery

Rich, Coaster junkie!

Re: What did you do today lighting wise? « Reply #1530 on: March 30, 2024, 04:00:51 PM » Author: AngryHorse
Sounds interesting  ;), it would be cool to work in LED filament tech, and try out different phosphor combinations to try and recreate discharge colours!
Although the current LED filament phosphor they use in 2700, 4000 and 6500 all have their own unique colour in a way!  8)

Current: UK 230V, 50Hz
Power provider: e.on energy
Street lighting in our town: Philips UniStreet LED (gen 1)
Longest serving LED in service at home, (hour count): Energetic mini clear globe: 54,050 hrs @ 10/2/24

Welcome to OBLIVION

RRK

View Posts
View Gallery
Roman

Re: What did you do today lighting wise? « Reply #1531 on: March 30, 2024, 05:39:18 PM » Author: RRK
In fact, with enough motivation, this can be easily done at 'kitchen level' ;)

Start with a blue filament lamp with uncoated LEDs, then mix you desired phosphors in a clear silicone, and put the mix on the filaments. Voila.

I did custom coating in neons, that involves glassworking, burners, vacuum manifold, bombarder etc, here everything is done at room temperature without any specialized equipment. Probably some effort is needed to evenly disperse phosphor powders in silicone before coating.
Laurens

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: What did you do today lighting wise? « Reply #1532 on: March 31, 2024, 05:22:21 AM » Author: Laurens
Laser tech - which is not a DIY thing - can also create many different monochromatic colors. The latest of Braniac made me think of mercury's yellow spectrum line pair: https://youtu.be/0TG7qjn5QE0
Laurens

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: What did you do today lighting wise? « Reply #1533 on: March 31, 2024, 08:15:59 AM » Author: Laurens
I hung up my T12s along the ceiling and wall of my room. Aesthetically it can look quite nice once i hide the wiring and the ballast. However, it does not do what i want it to do, which is create a daylight-like effect in my room in the daytime, lessening the gloomy corners of my room when outdoor light starts to get blocked by trees.

Meanwhile, what's running over there is the 80w HPL-4 Pro - a Deluxe 3400k long life HPMV lamp.  This very much does what i want it to do. So in the end, i might have to drill more holes in the concrete and move the T12s...

Not sure how to exactly arrange them, though. Perhaps it has something to do with the low surface brightness and how all the light is spread out, instead of being a strong point source like the HPMVs?

Perhaps it would already be enough to move the T12s more towards the little window - because of the shadow of the shelves, that whole area remains mostly unlit. But that's quite a lot of work, taking stuff off the shelves again, drilling new holes... Maybe i should just put the 20w Caddilac tube in that open space there.
« Last Edit: March 31, 2024, 08:48:00 AM by Laurens » Logged
RRK

View Posts
View Gallery
Roman

Re: What did you do today lighting wise? « Reply #1534 on: March 31, 2024, 07:28:12 PM » Author: RRK
I bet you need some kind of indirect lighting on the ceiling to create a daylight effect. Light source is of your choice - from CMH uplighter to some shielded high-CRI LED string.
Econolite03

View Posts
View Gallery

Matthew E.

Re: What did you do today lighting wise? « Reply #1535 on: April 01, 2024, 05:13:18 PM » Author: Econolite03
It’s that time of year again, check out my gallery for another old trade ad.

Now on Linktree

LightsAreBright27

View Posts
View Gallery

Cheap LED Assassin

Re: What did you do today lighting wise? « Reply #1536 on: April 04, 2024, 06:24:31 AM » Author: LightsAreBright27
Today I found this philips 40w incandescent on the roadside. There was a public toilet nearby which used a 60w version of the same thing.

Holder of the rare and sacred :sfl: F10T12/BL :sfl: lamps here!
Also known as LAB27 for short.
One of the only Indian members here!
245v 50Hz

LightsAreBright27

View Posts
View Gallery

Cheap LED Assassin

Re: What did you do today lighting wise? « Reply #1537 on: April 05, 2024, 07:41:27 AM » Author: LightsAreBright27
Yesterday, I started an experiment where I dipped two cfl top halves in sanitizer to remove the tubes from the plastic top. Today I found out that it worked!

245v 50Hz

Laurens

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: What did you do today lighting wise? « Reply #1538 on: April 05, 2024, 08:49:18 AM » Author: Laurens
Checked out the fluorescent lamp aisle of the diy store again. It's finally happening - their final stock is in the store. Only Philips 18w 830 and 840 fluorescents left (for €1,60 a piece!) and a bunch of Sylvania Circline stuff which is allowed to remain in production a year longer. Possibly because our national railways use circline lamps in their station clocks, but idk.
Laurens

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: What did you do today lighting wise? « Reply #1539 on: April 05, 2024, 03:40:44 PM » Author: Laurens
https://nl.aliexpress.com/item/32761452139.html

Ordered a pair of these SB "fluorescent" lamps. I wonder what i'll get when they arrive!

These just arrived. They are stamped in chinese 'Minghua Yaming Ballasted Fluorescent Mercury' and HY-GYZ-125w.

One of them looks in good shape, the other one has an impact mark in the inner coating of the balloon, from the filament holders impacting it. This is because the whole filament/arc tube assembly is melted into the balloon at a slight angle, compounded with some shocks it has received in transit. Do not expect any semblance of quality control with these things. Price-quality wise it's fine, for less than 30 euro including shipping from the other side of the globe, and in a fairly short time, i'm not complaining about that. Things would be different if i were to buy one locally, from a well known brand.

The packaging was excellent. Sturdy double corrugated box with thick layers of bubble wrap around the lamps, which are shipped without their boxes. Probably for the better, as they would likely be able to rattle around in those boxes.

I was already trying to figure out what the coating is exactly. It appears the same as the coating in my recently bought halophosphate 530 lamps spectrum wise. But the color's different and i just haven't figured it out yet. The 530s i bougth are also very different from what i'm used to, spectrum wise. Color wise they're similar to my older lamps. I had already written down a bunch, and then decided it warrants its own forum or gallery thread with spectrum pictures and such. Not gonna do it right now, too late at night for that.

Who knew that in such mundane things as light bulbs, there is so much to discover.
AngryHorse

View Posts
View Gallery

Rich, Coaster junkie!

Re: What did you do today lighting wise? « Reply #1540 on: April 06, 2024, 12:45:59 PM » Author: AngryHorse
Checked out the last surviving REVO, 135watt SOX, Hyperion A, in my neighbouring town of Northwich, whilst out to get some wiper blades for the car, sadly its gone now, replaced with a CRT SLX2  :-\
This was probably the last working SOX lantern in Northwich and was quite rare today!

Current: UK 230V, 50Hz
Power provider: e.on energy
Street lighting in our town: Philips UniStreet LED (gen 1)
Longest serving LED in service at home, (hour count): Energetic mini clear globe: 54,050 hrs @ 10/2/24

Welcome to OBLIVION

LightsAreBright27

View Posts
View Gallery

Cheap LED Assassin

Re: What did you do today lighting wise? « Reply #1541 on: April 09, 2024, 02:30:16 AM » Author: LightsAreBright27
Bought an osram HQI-TS 70w lamp in cool daylight colour. Weird shape!

245v 50Hz

BT25

View Posts
View Gallery

Vintage HID Collector

Re: What did you do today lighting wise? « Reply #1542 on: April 11, 2024, 12:40:59 PM » Author: BT25
I'm going to be installing some cobra-heads this weekend... ;D

First known case of Westinghouse Lifeguard Disease! :lol:
If you can say yes to any of the following, you may have it too: :poof:
Can't resist buying more even if you already have an example in your collection? :lol:
Bank account/CC statement shows unnecessary spending? ::)

wide-lite 1000

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: What did you do today lighting wise? « Reply #1543 on: April 11, 2024, 06:42:16 PM » Author: wide-lite 1000
 For yourself or someone else ?

Collector,Hoarder,Pack-rat! Clear mercury Rules!!

BT25

View Posts
View Gallery

Vintage HID Collector

Re: What did you do today lighting wise? « Reply #1544 on: April 11, 2024, 08:16:47 PM » Author: BT25
It's for my dad...he currently has some HPS yard-blasters installed. Going to replace them with ITT/American-Electric S13's with drop lens and FCO optics. I converted them to CMH using Philips CDM70/U/PS/4K, and CDM150/U/PS/4K Master-Color lamps...and of course new ballasts. It's time for beautiful
white 90% + CRI lighting!

First known case of Westinghouse Lifeguard Disease! :lol:
If you can say yes to any of the following, you may have it too: :poof:
Can't resist buying more even if you already have an example in your collection? :lol:
Bank account/CC statement shows unnecessary spending? ::)

Print 
© 2005-2024 Lighting-Gallery.net | SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies