Author Topic: Anyone here use Sirius XM Radio?  (Read 3478 times)
Lightingguy1994
Administrator

View Posts
View Gallery

Anyone here use Sirius XM Radio? « on: December 08, 2020, 10:36:00 PM » Author: Lightingguy1994
Tl;dr Free Sirius XM radio speaker with radio I never used, discovered radio still plays without subscription when I found antenna for it. Checked radio id on site and offered 6 month free trial.

I have one of those Sirius boombox speaker docks that I found curb side a few years ago. These surprisingly have great sound. All it was missing was the XM antenna and the 12v plug. Since I had 12v, I was good. I always used the speaker with an AUX cable to my source and kept the radio off as it did nothing without the antenna. The radios in these boomboxes are removable and can be plugged into a car or any other dock made for them. The radio in my speaker is a Starmate 3.

Recently I came across another XM boombox being thrown out. This one had a radio still docked on it and also the antenna, I took both off and left the speaker behind (should have taken it too). When I connected the antenna to my own boombox with its Starmate 3 radio, it started playing to my surprise, even though I had it for ages and never once subscribed to XM.

I also tried the second radio I got along with the antenna, a Starmate 4, I tried that one too and it also worked and played music. After doing some research on this, it turns out that the XM service provider provides a deactivation (kill signal) when a radio is no longer subscribed for a few months and then only periodically afterwards. Any radios that were not powered on at all during this time will miss out on the signal and continue to be active for as long as they do not get used when the periodic signal is sent (usually once in a while or after a preview ends).

Now, when I checked the radio ID on the sirius site for both my radios, the Starmate 4 qualified for a free 6 month all access trial, so I made an account and applied (it didnt ask for payment) and have been playing music from it since LEGALLY to see how I like it. The Starmate 3 still plays but for how long? I only keep it as a spare anyway.

If you have an old radio kicking around, power it on and see if it still works, if it does it should last a bit before the kill signal comes for it. I don't know what I'll do after 6 month trial ends but for now I'll use it as it is nice to have music playing in the background.
« Last Edit: December 08, 2020, 10:39:12 PM by Lightingguy1994 » Logged

Administrator #5

HPSM250R2

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Anyone here use Sirius XM Radio? « Reply #1 on: December 08, 2020, 10:59:58 PM » Author: HPSM250R2
I don't think I have ever paid for Sirius XM radio. The only times I have used it in the past is when I would buy a new car and it would come with like 90 days Sirius XM for free.
joseph_125

View Posts
View Gallery

GoL
Re: Anyone here use Sirius XM Radio? « Reply #2 on: December 08, 2020, 11:55:17 PM » Author: joseph_125
Haven't really used Sirius XM as I never did have anything capable of receiving their service. I believe my car radio supports it but you need to purchase an add on tuner for it. I already subscribe to Spotify and that's enough for my music needs.
Lightingguy1994
Administrator

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Anyone here use Sirius XM Radio? « Reply #3 on: December 09, 2020, 12:00:00 AM » Author: Lightingguy1994
Yeah the XM/sirius thing seems to be falling out of popularity as I see these things turning up on buy and sell sites and I've seen at least 4 of these boomboxes thrown away in total over the years despite having no issue. But since I'm getting the service free for a little bit I figure I'll enjoy it as its just something to play in the background without internet or commercials. Don't think I'd ever pay to use it though since there is always good old Fm radio.

Administrator #5

joseph_125

View Posts
View Gallery

GoL
Re: Anyone here use Sirius XM Radio? « Reply #4 on: December 09, 2020, 12:20:19 AM » Author: joseph_125
Yeah same here, between streaming, analog formats like cassette and vinyl, and FM radio which there are quite a few stations in my area. I already have more than I need.

TBH streaming is handy in the car but I probably could switch back to cassette if I decide I no longer want to pay for it.
Lightingguy1994
Administrator

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Anyone here use Sirius XM Radio? « Reply #5 on: December 09, 2020, 12:26:43 AM » Author: Lightingguy1994
I bet the radio dial is full of stations from both Ontario and USA where you are in Southern Ontario. Even broadcast tv, you can stick an antenna on your flat screen and scan for channals and end up with at least 40 of them out there, most in HD. A far cry from where I am where there is only 2 channels, 3 if you're near a certain part of town lol.

If I'm not mistaken, many tv and radio stations in Toronto and area origionate from the CN towers transmitters

Administrator #5

tolivac

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Anyone here use Sirius XM Radio? « Reply #6 on: December 09, 2020, 01:49:53 AM » Author: tolivac
I have used SiriusXM--but don't like it becuase of BLABBY DJs that say NOTHING between records-and same records played over and over.Used to use it in the car.Have more music on my phone I downloaded and can hear what I want with NO blabbing DJ!They still nag me to re subscribe-just throw the stuff in the trash.I would think with downloads of various kinds-folks wouldn't be using them anymore.
Lightingguy1994
Administrator

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Anyone here use Sirius XM Radio? « Reply #7 on: December 09, 2020, 02:25:23 AM » Author: Lightingguy1994
I have used SiriusXM--but don't like it becuase of BLABBY DJs that say NOTHING between records-and same records played over and over.Used to use it in the car.Have more music on my phone I downloaded and can hear what I want with NO blabbing DJ!They still nag me to re subscribe-just throw the stuff in the trash.I would think with downloads of various kinds-folks wouldn't be using them anymore.

I haven't found it to be that bad so far, theres a few channels I'll flip to depending on mood. You'd hate the FM radio in my area in the mornings. All a bunch of hosts hyped up on caffiene talking about anything under the sun. Oh and at least one station is nothing but xmas music all month

Administrator #5

tolivac

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Anyone here use Sirius XM Radio? « Reply #8 on: December 12, 2020, 12:57:46 AM » Author: tolivac
I don't listen to AM or FM broadcast radio either,Too much TRASH music,talking ,ads that I don't want to hear-Thank goodness for music downloading!Also the stations audio-ESP "HD" FM-is so processed for the outdated "loudness Wars" stations should give this up since there are fewer lo-fi car and table radios out there.Today car radios and desk radios have BETTER fidelity than what they used to-so the loud processed stations sound like CRAP on such sets.Also Sirius XM does some processing,too-makes them sound bad.
joseph_125

View Posts
View Gallery

GoL
Re: Anyone here use Sirius XM Radio? « Reply #9 on: December 12, 2020, 01:29:49 AM » Author: joseph_125
I bet the radio dial is full of stations from both Ontario and USA where you are in Southern Ontario. Even broadcast tv, you can stick an antenna on your flat screen and scan for channals and end up with at least 40 of them out there, most in HD. A far cry from where I am where there is only 2 channels, 3 if you're near a certain part of town lol.

If I'm not mistaken, many tv and radio stations in Toronto and area origionate from the CN towers transmitters

Oh yeah, there are at least 20-25 stations on the FM dial alone on my radio. Great for finding a station for music you want but bad if you're still relying on a FM transmitter for your music. And oh yeah I rarely listen to the FM radio here and don't get me started about said station with only Christmas music. Fortunately I only ever have to listen to it when I'm in a store.
Cole D.

View Posts
View Gallery

123 V 60 CPS

Dk944Mr-jX4jbnoUUj7xAw
Re: Anyone here use Sirius XM Radio? « Reply #10 on: December 12, 2020, 06:45:24 PM » Author: Cole D.
I have Sirius XM in my car, but I don't pay to subscribe to it. Sometimes they do a free trial at certain times, and it will start working for a week or two. Usually they seem to do it during the holidays, like around Thanksgiving I noticed it was working. If I happen to catch it being on, then I listen to it.

To me it isn't really worth paying for, because they tend to play the same songs over and over on the stations, just not much variety. What I did find was cool is you could also bring up a weather radar map and it would show you the gas prices at each station too.

Usually if I driving, I listen to FM radio or sometimes I will listen to music on Pandora, from my phone. But usually I don't bother with that, unless I driving long distances, like out of town or something.

Collect vintage incandescent and fluorescent fixtures. Also like HID lighting and streetlights.

RyanF40T12

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Anyone here use Sirius XM Radio? « Reply #11 on: December 13, 2020, 03:27:42 AM » Author: RyanF40T12
I have it in my truck and have had it in previous vehicles as well.  I love it.  I am so fed up with commercials and other crap out there.  Negotiating them down to $9.00 a month or so is reasonable i believe. If they don't bite, I don't subscribe for awhile until they send me offers or a free trial and then we try it again. 

The more you hate the LED movement, the stronger it becomes.

CEB1993

View Posts
View Gallery

Camden

Camdenburns93
Re: Anyone here use Sirius XM Radio? « Reply #12 on: December 14, 2020, 11:57:43 PM » Author: CEB1993
Yes! I love Sirius XM radio. No commercials and a huge variety of music. I listen during my work commute. Some of my favorite channels:

50’s on 5
90’s on 9
Radio Margaritaville
Classic Vinyl Classic Rock
Deep Tracks Classic Rock
The Message Christian
Bluegrass Junction
Classic Jazz
Siriusly Sinatra
Hallmark Christmas Music

Philips DuraMax and GE Miser forever!  Classic incandescents are the best incandescents!

Stop the lamp bans!

RyanF40T12

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Anyone here use Sirius XM Radio? « Reply #13 on: December 15, 2020, 03:15:42 AM » Author: RyanF40T12
I enjoy
40s Junction
70s on 7
80s on 8
90s on 9
1st Wave
Radio Margaritaville
U2 Channel
Spa
NASCAR Radio
PGA Golf
BYU Radio
Rural Radio
Road Dog Trucking Channel (sometimes)
I do listen to a few of the talk channels as well. 

The more you hate the LED movement, the stronger it becomes.

DieselNut

View Posts
View Gallery

John

jonathon.graves johng917 GeorgiaJohn
Re: Anyone here use Sirius XM Radio? « Reply #14 on: December 15, 2020, 01:07:55 PM » Author: DieselNut

I had Sirius XM when I purchased my truck and the wife renewed it for my birthday.  I found myself rarely listening to it, as I cannot stand the babbling DJs either.  I hate commercials on regular radio but hate those babbling DJs nearly as much and dont have to pay for regular radio.  I also do not watch TV so I get my local news in the mornings and afternoons in the truck. 

Preheat Fluorescents forever!
I love diesel engines, rural/farm life and vintage lighting!

Print 
© 2005-2024 Lighting-Gallery.net | SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies