Author Topic: Do you *really* hate LED's?  (Read 19131 times)
Mandolin Girl

View Posts
View Gallery

Oil Lamp Addict

Re: Do you *really* hate LED's? « Reply #75 on: December 15, 2017, 06:04:57 PM » Author: Mandolin Girl
That's if the LED's fixture aren't totally sealed in so you have to chuck out the entire fixture.

That's the worst case scenario... >:(

Hugs and STUFF Sammi xXx (also in Aberdeen) :love: :oil-ltn:
Published Author ;D
There are two kinds of light  -  the glow that illuminates, and the glare that obscures.
James Thurber
SMILEY ONLY ANSWERS WILL BE DELETED FROM MY POSTS

Beta 5

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Do you *really* hate LED's? « Reply #76 on: December 15, 2017, 06:21:10 PM » Author: Beta 5
That's the worst case scenario... >:(

Yes it mostly applies to unbranded rubbish.

Fluorescent Forever :lfl:

Lodge

View Posts
View Gallery

18W Goldeye / 52W R&C LED front door lighting

Re: Do you *really* hate LED's? « Reply #77 on: December 15, 2017, 07:38:00 PM » Author: Lodge
There are domestic fittings I don't like, though. We have a floor lamp which we got from our friend, it works well, but the LED in it is not replaceable. When it dies, the whole fitting is scrap. That to me is waste, and I hate waste.

Me to, and I love those little stickers that say no user serviceable parts inside, so when there is an issue I get out the warranty violator (leatherman tool) and start taking it apart and for the most part they are fixable, it's just not as easy as screwing in another bulb...   
Mandolin Girl

View Posts
View Gallery

Oil Lamp Addict

Re: Do you *really* hate LED's? « Reply #78 on: December 17, 2017, 05:30:59 PM » Author: Mandolin Girl
Me to, and I love those little stickers that say no user serviceable parts inside, so when there is an issue I get out the warranty violator (leatherman tool) and start taking it apart and for the most part they are fixable, it's just not as easy as screwing in another bulb...   

My warranty violator is a big hammer...  ::)

Published Author ;D
There are two kinds of light  -  the glow that illuminates, and the glare that obscures.
James Thurber

Rommie
Administrator

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Do you *really* hate LED's? « Reply #79 on: December 17, 2017, 05:49:14 PM » Author: Rommie
My warranty violator is a big hammer...  ::)

Where's me 'ammer..? I ain't 'avin' it..!

Ria (aka Rommie) in Aberdeen
Administrator, UK & European time zones. Any questions or problems, please feel free to get in touch :love:

"What greater gift than the love of a cat..?" - Charles Dickens
*** No smiley-only replies, please ***

AngryHorse

View Posts
View Gallery

Rich, Coaster junkie!

Re: Do you *really* hate LED's? « Reply #80 on: December 17, 2017, 06:14:38 PM » Author: AngryHorse
I much prefer the softer glow of SOX/HPS lighting, as it is soothing on the eye at night time, a human's night vision is monochromatic, so having a full spectrum glare bomb is pointless. Seeing a car coming towards you is much better than knowing that the car you just hit because of the glare was red.

When it comes to replacing EoL fittings LED at its worst means replacing the whole fixture and at its best you would have to isolate the supply,  go up in a cherry picker, unscrew at least 4 screws, then you can put a new LED element in and replace the screws.

Compare that to SOX/HPS, with them when it gets to EoL all you need to do is isolate the supply, go up in the cherry picker unclip the bowl, replace the lamp and clip the bowl back in place. All done in a fraction of the time.
Unless something on the gear tray has died? ;D, most, decent commercial LED lanterns are driver and diode changeable just like any HID lantern is gear and lamp changeable, so theres not a lot of difference.

I have to say though, I think LED is much easier on the eyes than HID, after 40 years of seeing sodium lighting here, I do prefer seeing our town back in white again, at night, like the MBF nights of the 70s I remember as a kid, it looks so much better being able to see the green of the grass and trees, and other colours. To me this gives a `warmer, softer glow` at night if that makes any sense???

« Last Edit: December 17, 2017, 06:20:14 PM by AngryHorse » Logged

Current: UK 230V, 50Hz
Power provider: e.on energy
Street lighting in our town: Philips UniStreet LED (gen 1)
Longest serving LED in service at home, (hour count): Energetic mini clear globe: 54,050 hrs @ 10/2/24

Welcome to OBLIVION

Rommie
Administrator

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Do you *really* hate LED's? « Reply #81 on: December 17, 2017, 06:21:43 PM » Author: Rommie
I have to say though, I think LED is much easier on the eyes than HID, after 40 years of sodium lighting, I do prefer seeing our town back in white again, at night, like the MBF night of the 70s I remember as a kid.

Well, there we'll have to agree to differ then, because one of the main reasons I do detest LED street lighting is precisely that, the light is white. The soft orange glow of HPS is far easier on my eyes, SOX is better still if I'm driving  :a_sox:  :)

Administrator, UK & European time zones. Any questions or problems, please feel free to get in touch :love:

Mandolin Girl

View Posts
View Gallery

Oil Lamp Addict

Re: Do you *really* hate LED's? « Reply #82 on: December 17, 2017, 06:23:13 PM » Author: Mandolin Girl
Unless something on the gear tray has died? ;D, most, decent commercial LED lanterns are driver and diode changeable just like any HID lantern is gear and lamp changeable, so theres not a lot of difference.

I have to say though, I think LED is much easier on the eyes than HID, after 40 years of sodium lighting, I do prefer seeing our town back in white again, at night, like the MBF night of the 70s I remember as a kid.

That's as maybe, but the bean counters want the lighting departments to buy the cheapest fitting on the market.

I for one much prefer a softer light as previously stated, having to wear glasses means that any glare is intensified for me.
« Last Edit: December 17, 2017, 06:28:33 PM by Miss Cuddly » Logged

Published Author ;D
James Thurber

Mercurylamps

View Posts
View Gallery

240V 50Hz

Re: Do you *really* hate LED's? « Reply #83 on: December 17, 2017, 06:36:16 PM » Author: Mercurylamps
I won't be happy if they decide on using white light where I live. I'm so used to having SOX lit roads where I live and love their yellow glow.
Mandolin Girl

View Posts
View Gallery

Oil Lamp Addict

Re: Do you *really* hate LED's? « Reply #84 on: December 17, 2017, 06:41:57 PM » Author: Mandolin Girl
I won't be happy if they decide on using white light where I live. I'm so used to having SOX lit roads where I live and love their yellow glow.

Absolutely.!!!!  ;D

Published Author ;D
James Thurber

AngryHorse

View Posts
View Gallery

Rich, Coaster junkie!

Re: Do you *really* hate LED's? « Reply #85 on: December 18, 2017, 03:34:04 AM » Author: AngryHorse
We have had LPS lighting here as far back as the early 60s, indeed I grew up with the change over from mercury lamps to SOX, it was also the LPS lamp that got me interested in lighting in the first place.
It must be an age thing with me though, I hate the colour of them now :-[

I take our dog out at 5 each morning, and walking from LED lit roads to SOX lit roads just looks awful!, one of the reasons SOX was used at night, (apart from the 70s energy crisis), is the human eye achieves a higher visual acuity under its light, this was one of the first things I remember reading about them years ago.

However I do find myself questioning this now!, as I have always had good eyesight until I turned 40, when it starts to go downhill! :D, but I can see so much more under 4000K of LED lanterns than I can under SOX now!,
due to LEDs sharper light.
For instance, a bush by a gate post in the distance can look like a person standing there under 1800K of SOX, as they make everything look a dark black/grey, (Ash, my slightly antisocial German Shepard doesn`t really do random people standing in gateways early in the morning darkness), so I usually cross the road to avoid a nasty surprise!.

This situation improved slightly with HPS lamps, but a bush/person under LED looks like a bush/person as your eyes can see what it really is in white light!
As for not wanting to lose SOX street lighting, sadly there will be no choice in another 3 years, as there just won`t be any made to keep using!

Your right about the `council bean counters` Sammi, but I`d be interested to know what make/model of LED street lighting they have started to install in your area, that make them so bad?
Our council tested just 3 lanterns in different roads last year, No1 the DW Kirium, (just nasty shocking glare bombs)!, No2 Urbis`s Ampara, (ugly and with a tendency to let water in)!, and No3 Philips`s Uni-Street.

Philips won ;), and no surprise really, as the Uni-Street is perfection as far as LED lanterns go, good output, good colour, not glarey, and their a smarter design on the end of the poles than all the others.
This time last year Cheshire East started to fit them in mass, and now their almost done, out of a 100% SOX lit streets in my town, we have just 7 SOX left in service, and 3 SON!

Current: UK 230V, 50Hz
Power provider: e.on energy
Street lighting in our town: Philips UniStreet LED (gen 1)
Longest serving LED in service at home, (hour count): Energetic mini clear globe: 54,050 hrs @ 10/2/24

Welcome to OBLIVION

F96T12 DD VHO

View Posts
View Gallery

Just chilling I guess

https://www.facebook.com/ Unreleasedwav UC2Uv7t9KgigOoT6blff2t3w i.d._official
Re: Do you *really* hate LED's? « Reply #86 on: December 31, 2017, 10:09:16 AM » Author: F96T12 DD VHO
LEDs are best for stage lighting this also goes along with the color changing LED bulb
Anything else I think is stupid (My opinion)

Music Producer/Light Enthusiast

Mandolin Girl

View Posts
View Gallery

Oil Lamp Addict

Re: Do you *really* hate LED's? « Reply #87 on: December 31, 2017, 11:58:57 AM » Author: Mandolin Girl
LEDs are best for stage lighting this also goes along with the color changing LED bulb
Anything else I think is stupid (My opinion)

Yes, in that application they work well, but there are some places that LEDs should never be used.

Published Author ;D
James Thurber

Rommie
Administrator

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Do you *really* hate LED's? « Reply #88 on: December 31, 2017, 12:02:08 PM » Author: Rommie

We have had LPS lighting here as far back as the early 60s, indeed I grew up with the change over from mercury lamps to SOX, it was also the LPS lamp that got me interested in lighting in the first place.
It must be an age thing with me though, I hate the colour of them now :-[

The first street lights I remember in our road when I was very small were 500W incandescents (showing my age now..!) but they soon changed to HPMV's, not sure of the wattage, but given the type of road, probably around 250/400W.

I take our dog out at 5 each morning, and walking from LED lit roads to SOX lit roads just looks awful!, one of the reasons SOX was used at night, (apart from the 70s energy crisis), is the human eye achieves a higher visual acuity under its light, this was one of the first things I remember reading about them years ago.

5am  :o :o :o  Well more fool you for going out at that God-forsaken hour  :D :D :D

Yes, the human eye is at its most sensitive at the same part of the spectrum as the LPS lamp output. They are also IMO the best to drive under at night; personally I hate driving under LED or other white light, LPS is far better, if only for the reason that it is easier to perceive movement than under other light. I would much rather be able to clearly see a car coming towards me than knowing the car that just hit me was red..!

However I do find myself questioning this now!, as I have always had good eyesight until I turned 40, when it starts to go downhill! :D, but I can see so much more under 4000K of LED lanterns than I can under SOX now!,
due to LEDs sharper light.
For instance, a bush by a gate post in the distance can look like a person standing there under 1800K of SOX, as they make everything look a dark black/grey, (Ash, my slightly antisocial German Shepard doesn`t really do random people standing in gateways early in the morning darkness), so I usually cross the road to avoid a nasty surprise!.

I must confess I don't really do much walking outside at night, except the short walk to the supermarket (5 minutes) which is at the moment mainly metal halide, although LED is encroaching, unfortunately  :(

This situation improved slightly with HPS lamps, but a bush/person under LED looks like a bush/person as your eyes can see what it really is in white light!
As for not wanting to lose SOX street lighting, sadly there will be no choice in another 3 years, as there just won`t be any made to keep using!

If I can't have SOX, then I definitely prefer HPS. We still have them in our street, but I suspect their days are numbered  :( I will definitely be keeping an eye out for the crews when they do get taken down..!

Your right about the `council bean counters` Sammi, but I`d be interested to know what make/model of LED street lighting they have started to install in your area, that make them so bad?
Our council tested just 3 lanterns in different roads last year, No1 the DW Kirium, (just nasty shocking glare bombs)!, No2 Urbis`s Ampara, (ugly and with a tendency to let water in)!, and No3 Philips`s Uni-Street.

Philips won ;), and no surprise really, as the Uni-Street is perfection as far as LED lanterns go, good output, good colour, not glarey, and their a smarter design on the end of the poles than all the others.
This time last year Cheshire East started to fit them in mass, and now their almost done, out of a 100% SOX lit streets in my town, we have just 7 SOX left in service, and 3 SON!

I don't know what make/model they are, and to be quite honest I don't really care. I detest LED street lighting and I doubt anything is going to change my mind any time soon.

« Last Edit: December 31, 2017, 12:03:41 PM by MissRiaElaine » Logged

F96T12 DD VHO

View Posts
View Gallery

Just chilling I guess

https://www.facebook.com/ Unreleasedwav UC2Uv7t9KgigOoT6blff2t3w i.d._official
Re: Do you *really* hate LED's? « Reply #89 on: December 31, 2017, 06:43:13 PM » Author: F96T12 DD VHO
Yes, in that application they work well, but there are some places that LEDs should never be used.

Like street lighting

Music Producer/Light Enthusiast

Print 
© 2005-2024 Lighting-Gallery.net | SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies