Author Topic: SOX lamp warm up times  (Read 4175 times)
ElectroLite

View Posts
View Gallery

SOX lamp warm up times « on: May 17, 2015, 10:20:17 AM » Author: ElectroLite
Just for reference, does anyone know the average warm up times for all common SOX lamps?

I can't seem to find anywhere that specifically tells you about each wattage.
dor123

View Posts
View Gallery

Other loves are computers, office equipment, A/Cs

Re: SOX lamp warm up times « Reply #1 on: May 17, 2015, 10:45:07 AM » Author: dor123
The warm-up time of LPS lamps, ranges from 5 to 15 mins. Average is 9 mins.
You can find videos of LPS lamps run-up quite easily in youtube, which also illustrate their warm-up time.

I"m don't speak English well, and rely on online translating to write in this site.
Please forgive me if my choice of my words looks like offensive, while that isn't my intention.

I only working with the international date format (dd.mm.yyyy).

I lives in Israel, which is a 220-240V, 50hz country.

ElectroLite

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: SOX lamp warm up times « Reply #2 on: May 17, 2015, 11:24:11 AM » Author: ElectroLite
How much time would it take for just for a 55 watt lamp?
dor123

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: SOX lamp warm up times « Reply #3 on: May 17, 2015, 01:09:46 PM » Author: dor123
The warm-up time is the same in all wattages.

I"m don't speak English well, and rely on online translating to write in this site.
Please forgive me if my choice of my words looks like offensive, while that isn't my intention.

Solanaceae

View Posts
View Gallery

All photos are brought to you by Bubby industries.

GoL Solanaceae.Keif.Fitz Keif Fitz bubby_keif
Re: SOX lamp warm up times « Reply #4 on: May 18, 2015, 12:02:27 AM » Author: Solanaceae
There are SOX lamps with curled at tubes within the outer envelope like in helical CFLs. The goal is to trap heat in, making them strike and run better in cold climates. The outer glass is coated with a special substance that reduces the IR radiation lost, so the lamp will warm up and stay warm, while spending more energy on brightness.

Me💡Irl
My LG Gallery
My GoL Gallery

dor123

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: SOX lamp warm up times « Reply #5 on: May 18, 2015, 12:56:48 AM » Author: dor123
Helical LPS lamps, are only made by chinese unknown factories, because this design have one great disadventage: The light from the sodium in one side of the tube, would be absorbed by the sodium vapour on the other side, and efficiency would be lost.
IR coating is present in all SOX lamps, and they have a vaccum outer to provide thermal isolation.

Mercurylamps

View Posts
View Gallery

240V 50Hz

Re: SOX lamp warm up times « Reply #6 on: May 18, 2015, 02:32:01 AM » Author: Mercurylamps
Have a look at this website. It's fascinating and dedicated to SOX/LPS lamps. :)
« Last Edit: October 12, 2023, 01:34:32 AM by HomeBrewLamps » Logged
ElectroLite

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: SOX lamp warm up times « Reply #7 on: May 18, 2015, 09:18:49 AM » Author: ElectroLite
Oh yes, I know that website! That was the first website I went to when I found out about SOX lamps.

I was just wondering how long it takes to warm up a 55 watt sox lamp. I am running one off of a Fulham workhorse 5 ballast and when I use 2 red, which is 55 watt it tens to warm up super fast! The sodium melts within 1:30 after switch on! It even finishes warming up at 5mins. However when I just use one red, it takes 10min+ to warm up. Which combination should I use? My beta 5 which has a proper 35 watt SOX ballast warms the lamp up in 5 mins as well.
Mercurylamps

View Posts
View Gallery

240V 50Hz

Re: SOX lamp warm up times « Reply #8 on: November 15, 2015, 12:18:28 AM » Author: Mercurylamps
Oh yes, I know that website! That was the first website I went to when I found out about SOX lamps.

I was just wondering how long it takes to warm up a 55 watt sox lamp. I am running one off of a Fulham workhorse 5 ballast and when I use 2 red, which is 55 watt it tens to warm up super fast! The sodium melts within 1:30 after switch on! It even finishes warming up at 5mins. However when I just use one red, it takes 10min+ to warm up. Which combination should I use? My beta 5 which has a proper 35 watt SOX ballast warms the lamp up in 5 mins as well.

I just checked it right now, the domain has expired.  :(
Medved

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: SOX lamp warm up times « Reply #9 on: November 17, 2015, 03:04:52 PM » Author: Medved
The warm up time is not that much dependent on the wattage, but it is strongly dependent on the actual lamp design (and that varied over time, even for the same wattages) and maybe even age (wear) of the lamp. So really you can not get better figure than the 5..15 minute range posted above...

No more selfballasted c***

tolivac

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: SOX lamp warm up times « Reply #10 on: November 18, 2015, 12:36:36 AM » Author: tolivac
Would think temparature would affect the warm-up time.Like on a very cold night would take longer for the lamp to come up.
lights*plus

View Posts
View Gallery

George Liv Photo

GoL george.liv.37 UC_OfF2pa6aOcXLAut16jw9g
Re: SOX lamp warm up times « Reply #11 on: January 03, 2016, 02:30:50 AM » Author: lights*plus
I've been searching our wonderful LG forum for all info on running LPS or SOX lamps with ballasts other than their dedicated & conventional ballasts. What comes up often are the Fulham workhorse ballasts. But I've found other little electronic ballasts that work exceptionally well & are much cheaper than Fulham ballasts. Obviously they are a fraction of the weight of any magnetic LPS ballast, and obviously smaller. I'll be organizing & posting the tests I've done within a month.

As important as the 5-15 minute warm up TIME for SOX lamps, is the correct running current, watts, but ALSO the running temperature of the ballast (ballast case of CFL, linear or whatever). Personally, if I measure anything above 32°C after 30 minutes, I'd forget about it. Ballast is getting taxed and will not last. Lucky I've got a Spot Temperature Gun. So the values I've gleaned from LG (please correct if you see errors) are:

18w SOX need 0.35amps
35W & 55w SOX need 0.6amps
90w (& above) need 0.95amps

Thus far, for 18w Sox lamps, I've seen that a CFL electronic ballast rated for 1-42w CFL or 1-32w linear lamp is required without undully warming up.
Rommie
Administrator

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: SOX lamp warm up times « Reply #12 on: November 12, 2017, 02:10:55 PM » Author: Rommie
Have a look at this website. It's fascinating and dedicated to SOX/LPS lamps. :)

That address is now sadly defunct  :(

Ria (aka Rommie) in Aberdeen
Administrator, UK & European time zones. Any questions or problems, please feel free to get in touch :love:

"What greater gift than the love of a cat..?" - Charles Dickens
*** No smiley-only replies, please ***

Lodge

View Posts
View Gallery

18W Goldeye / 52W R&C LED front door lighting

Re: SOX lamp warm up times « Reply #13 on: November 12, 2017, 02:53:23 PM » Author: Lodge
That address is now sadly defunct  :(

The Domain is gone, but it was archived here on The Way Back Machine (it's like an internet time machine) https://web.archive.org/web/20140324071532/http://www.soxlamps.com:80/ and this is from 2014-03-24 but you can play with it to go forward and backwards in time as well, and if you visit smaller sites that might go the way of the dodo consider getting the way back machine to archive them every couple of visits so the site and the knowledge is not lost forever when it closes down (it's free to do this.)

And it's actually an interesting page if your into SOX lamps, there is a few things I didn't know about them...

Oh and the warm up time on my 55 Watt SOX indoors at room temp is 11 min and once it gets to -40° outside I'll let you know how long it takes when they are about as cold as it gets here.. 
HomeBrewLamps

View Posts
View Gallery

SodiumVapor 105843202020668111118 UCpGClK_9OH8N4QkD1fp-jNw majorpayne1226 187567902@N04/
Re: SOX lamp warm up times « Reply #14 on: November 12, 2017, 04:54:10 PM » Author: HomeBrewLamps
The Domain is gone, but it was archived here on The Way Back Machine (it's like an internet time machine) https://web.archive.org/web/20140324071532/http://www.soxlamps.com:80/ and this is from 2014-03-24 but you can play with it to go forward and backwards in time as well, and if you visit smaller sites that might go the way of the dodo consider getting the way back machine to archive them every couple of visits so the site and the knowledge is not lost forever when it closes down (it's free to do this.)

And it's actually an interesting page if your into SOX lamps, there is a few things I didn't know about them...

Oh and the warm up time on my 55 Watt SOX indoors at room temp is 11 min and once it gets to -40° outside I'll let you know how long it takes when they are about as cold as it gets here.. 
Unfortunately alt of the formating and images apear to be broken, but the information is still there which is good.

~Owen

:colorbulb: Scavenger, Urban Explorer, Lighting Enthusiast and Creator of homebrewlamps 8) :colorbulb:

Print 
© 2005-2024 Lighting-Gallery.net | SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies