Author Topic: How to look for uncoated mercury vapor lamps?  (Read 872 times)
Laurens

View Posts
View Gallery

How to look for uncoated mercury vapor lamps? « on: January 15, 2024, 03:43:53 PM » Author: Laurens
I'd like to have a 80w or 50w uncoated HID mercury vapor lamp. I know those are relatively common in the USA but i've literally never seen one in my life, that isn't the Narva UVC eye burner at work. I'm hesitant to go for transatlantic shipping.

I know some for actual street lighting use have been made by Narva in the eastern bloc, but what are the type numbers so i can punch those in at our local classifieds sites?
Have Philips or Osram or one of the other big ones ever made them?

Thanks for any information, and if you live within the EU (i don't want to bother with weird customs charges on devices that the officials most certainly do not know the value of) and have one you wanna get rid of, let me know!
BT25

View Posts
View Gallery

Vintage HID Collector

Re: How to look for uncoated mercury vapor lamps? « Reply #1 on: January 15, 2024, 06:34:57 PM » Author: BT25
If you were in North America, it's best to use all variations of ANSI codes. As to Europe, couldn't tell you.

First known case of Westinghouse Lifeguard Disease! :lol:
If you can say yes to any of the following, you may have it too: :poof:
Can't resist buying more even if you already have an example in your collection? :lol:
Bank account/CC statement shows unnecessary spending? ::)

James

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: How to look for uncoated mercury vapor lamps? « Reply #2 on: January 17, 2024, 05:14:44 PM » Author: James
The 50W clear seem to be very rae in Europe, but you should be able to find an 80W or 125W fairly easily.  Probably most common are the Narva Naviflux NF80-00 and NF125-00 (NF = Naviflux and -00 indicats clear bulb).  The Osram lamps are slightly rarer, and are the types HQA 50W, 80W, 125W.  Philips also produced HP 50, 80, 125W but are difficult to find because searches tend to show the modern similarly-named HPL fluorescent types.
Mandolin Girl

View Posts
View Gallery

Oil Lamp Addict

Re: How to look for uncoated mercury vapor lamps? « Reply #3 on: January 18, 2024, 10:41:59 AM » Author: Mandolin Girl
We've found a 50W one, Ria just looked in a box and there it was...  :mrg: :mv:

Photos to follow...  :mv:

PS We're keeping it.
« Last Edit: January 18, 2024, 10:45:25 AM by Mandolin Girl » Logged

Hugs and STUFF Sammi xXx (also in Aberdeen) :love: :oil-ltn:
Published Author ;D
There are two kinds of light  -  the glow that illuminates, and the glare that obscures.
James Thurber
SMILEY ONLY ANSWERS WILL BE DELETED FROM MY POSTS

Laurens

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: How to look for uncoated mercury vapor lamps? « Reply #4 on: January 18, 2024, 04:30:05 PM » Author: Laurens
The 50W clear seem to be very rae in Europe, but you should be able to find an 80W or 125W fairly easily.  Probably most common are the Narva Naviflux NF80-00 and NF125-00 (NF = Naviflux and -00 indicats clear bulb).  The Osram lamps are slightly rarer, and are the types HQA 50W, 80W, 125W.  Philips also produced HP 50, 80, 125W but are difficult to find because searches tend to show the modern similarly-named HPL fluorescent types.
Thanks!
James

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: How to look for uncoated mercury vapor lamps? « Reply #5 on: January 18, 2024, 05:57:29 PM » Author: James
Very helpful comment!
I also searched and found another new one which is available.  Link sent via PM.  Good luck :-)

James
Mandolin Girl

View Posts
View Gallery

Oil Lamp Addict

Re: How to look for uncoated mercury vapor lamps? « Reply #6 on: January 18, 2024, 06:07:08 PM » Author: Mandolin Girl
My apologies, it was a tongue in cheek comment and wasn't meant to cause offence.  :(

Published Author ;D
There are two kinds of light  -  the glow that illuminates, and the glare that obscures.
James Thurber

Rommie
Administrator

View Posts
View Gallery

Andromeda Ascendant

Re: How to look for uncoated mercury vapor lamps? « Reply #7 on: January 23, 2024, 05:54:56 PM » Author: Rommie
We were going through a recently acquired job lot of lamps and there was a 50W clear Iwasaki EYE lamp in there. As Sammi said, no offence was intended. We've got it lit at the moment, photos will be up soon  :mv: :love:

Ria (aka Rommie) in Aberdeen
Administrator, UK & European time zones. Any questions or problems, please feel free to get in touch :love:

"What greater gift than the love of a cat..?" - Charles Dickens
*** No smiley-only replies, please ***

Mandolin Girl

View Posts
View Gallery

Oil Lamp Addict

Re: How to look for uncoated mercury vapor lamps? « Reply #8 on: January 23, 2024, 07:10:11 PM » Author: Mandolin Girl
Photo is now up.!  :mv: 8)

Published Author ;D
James Thurber

Laurens

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: How to look for uncoated mercury vapor lamps? « Reply #9 on: January 24, 2024, 02:17:05 PM » Author: Laurens
I've gotten a few tips via DM, as well found a local person who has a bunch of 400w ones with ballast (a bit much) but might also have a 80w one sitting around.

Thanks for all the advice! I think i'll manage to grab one now. The odd thing i like about them, is that the light color looks fairly white to the eye - yet there's no color rendering to speak of, and cameras interpret the light as green!

« Last Edit: January 24, 2024, 02:28:33 PM by Laurens » Logged
Print 
© 2005-2024 Lighting-Gallery.net | SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies