Author Topic: Chinese EYE mercury lamps?  (Read 670 times)
HIDLad001

View Posts
View Gallery

Alex

GoL UCwvPaxz1-rbLAjLpk55zl1A
Chinese EYE mercury lamps? « on: May 04, 2024, 10:03:38 AM » Author: HIDLad001
I came across a listing with two EYE 400w MV lamps, and the odd thing was that the label on the package and the etch said that the lamps were made in China.
This is odd because EYE lamps are usually made in Japan, so seeing one that was made in China is definitely weird.
Does anyone have more info on Chinese made EYE lamps and does anyone know if the quality is better or worse than the Japanese made ones?

If you don't have anything nice to say, don't say it
HID Fixtures should stay HID, but I think LED is fine too.
Any new photos are taken with a Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ35!
Local power is 120/240VAC 60Hz, TV is NTSC 480i 59.94, DTV is ATSC 1.0 and simulcast ATSC 3.0.
-Using Lighting-Gallery since 2022-

BT25

View Posts
View Gallery

Vintage HID Collector

Re: Chinese EYE mercury lamps? « Reply #1 on: May 05, 2024, 04:08:47 PM » Author: BT25
Quality is worse...they take what seems like forever to come to full brightness. I had some clear ones...ended up donating them to the ReStore... :sick:

First known case of Westinghouse Lifeguard Disease! :lol:
If you can say yes to any of the following, you may have it too: :poof:
Can't resist buying more even if you already have an example in your collection? :lol:
Bank account/CC statement shows unnecessary spending? ::)

HIDLad001

View Posts
View Gallery

Alex

Re: Chinese EYE mercury lamps? « Reply #2 on: May 05, 2024, 05:32:17 PM » Author: HIDLad001
The reason I asked is because I kind of want an affordable BT Shaped 400W mercury lamp, So I guess my best bet would be to get a Sylvania.

Local power is 120/240VAC 60Hz, TV is NTSC 480i 59.94, DTV is ATSC 1.0 and simulcast ATSC 3.0.

BT25

View Posts
View Gallery

Vintage HID Collector

Re: Chinese EYE mercury lamps? « Reply #3 on: May 05, 2024, 05:58:48 PM » Author: BT25
Do you want clear or phosphored?

Can't resist buying more even if you already have an example in your collection? :lol:

wide-lite 1000

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Chinese EYE mercury lamps? « Reply #4 on: May 05, 2024, 06:09:54 PM » Author: wide-lite 1000
Quality is worse...they take what seems like forever to come to full brightness. I had some clear ones...ended up donating them to the ReStore... :sick:

My EYE 700w does that !

Collector,Hoarder,Pack-rat! Clear mercury Rules!!

James

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Chinese EYE mercury lamps? « Reply #5 on: May 06, 2024, 01:44:09 AM » Author: James
I am surprised to hear of a quality difference.  Iwasaki moved its arc tube production to Dalian in China over 20 years ago, and Japan only did the outer jacketing.  Now the latter has also been relocated.  If the run-up is slower it could only be due to a change in gas type and/or pressure but I do not see why they would do that, it’s been fixed for most mercury lamps since the 1950s.  Another possibility is that Iwasaki also stopped making the arc tubes and just buys in the complete lamp from another supplier.
Richmond2000

View Posts
View Gallery

120V 60HZ

Re: Chinese EYE mercury lamps? « Reply #6 on: May 06, 2024, 04:15:11 AM » Author: Richmond2000
believe EYE has moved sourcing / production to China for a lot of there "international" gear and now lamps
I have seen LED fixtures from them from China for 120V markets
HIDLad001

View Posts
View Gallery

Alex

Re: Chinese EYE mercury lamps? « Reply #7 on: May 06, 2024, 09:14:41 AM » Author: HIDLad001
Another possibility is that Iwasaki also stopped making the arc tubes and just buys in the complete lamp from another supplier.
I would expect that because EYE probably make their own stuff to quite high standards considering stories from other members about how high quality they are.

HIDLad001

View Posts
View Gallery

Alex

Re: Chinese EYE mercury lamps? « Reply #8 on: May 06, 2024, 09:16:13 AM » Author: HIDLad001
Do you want clear or phosphored?
A few minutes after posting this I found a coated 400w Westinghouse Lifeguard for a reasonable price. I am still open to offers though.

BT25

View Posts
View Gallery

Vintage HID Collector

Re: Chinese EYE mercury lamps? « Reply #9 on: May 06, 2024, 09:21:19 AM » Author: BT25
I was wondering if you bought that one...no, I'm not the seller.

Maxim

View Posts
View Gallery

Stop replacing fixtures that can be retrofitted.

Re: Chinese EYE mercury lamps? « Reply #10 on: May 06, 2024, 09:26:50 AM » Author: Maxim
Eric, what's your eBay username, if you don't mind me asking? I'd love to buy some of your "excess" lamps...  :mrg: :lol:

Collector of all kinds of lamps, gear, and fixtures.
My favorite lighting technologies at the moment are incandescent and mercury vapor, and my favorite Big 3 lighting brand of the late 20th century is GTE Sylvania.

About that Westinghouse Lifeguard disease, I think I've caught it. Thanks Eric! 8)

Silverliner
Administrator

View Posts
View Gallery

Rare white reflector

GoL
Re: Chinese EYE mercury lamps? « Reply #11 on: May 06, 2024, 02:51:12 PM » Author: Silverliner
I heard from a street light lineman that the Chinese EYE mercury lamps go dim after 2-3 years, which is unfortunate. There are two strip malls with mercury downlights near me with Japanese EYE lamps and many were already there when I moved here in 2007, still going strong.

Administrator of Lighting-Gallery.net. Need help? PM me.

Member of L-G since 2005.

Collector of vintage bulbs, street lights and fluorescent fixtures.

Electrician.

Also a fan of cars, travelling, working out, food, hanging out.

Power company: Southern California Edison.

BT25

View Posts
View Gallery

Vintage HID Collector

Re: Chinese EYE mercury lamps? « Reply #12 on: May 07, 2024, 06:35:00 PM » Author: BT25
Eric, what's your eBay username, if you don't mind me asking? I'd love to buy some of your "excess" lamps...  :mrg: :lol:
I have nothing posted on there currently. :sadbulb: Unfortunately, one has to charge a high price to make money... ::)

Maxim

View Posts
View Gallery

Stop replacing fixtures that can be retrofitted.

Re: Chinese EYE mercury lamps? « Reply #13 on: May 07, 2024, 07:11:16 PM » Author: Maxim
Agreed. It's insane. I listed some lamps, sold at asking price, and made about 50% of what was actually listed in the end. $10 for all that hassle? No thanks.

Collector of all kinds of lamps, gear, and fixtures.
My favorite lighting technologies at the moment are incandescent and mercury vapor, and my favorite Big 3 lighting brand of the late 20th century is GTE Sylvania.

About that Westinghouse Lifeguard disease, I think I've caught it. Thanks Eric! 8)

BT25

View Posts
View Gallery

Vintage HID Collector

Re: Chinese EYE mercury lamps? « Reply #14 on: May 07, 2024, 07:29:15 PM » Author: BT25
I used to sell here, but got tired of the runaround.
Example: a member says to me that they want to buy some lamps, and ask me to provide a shipping quote. So I go through the effort to pack them up to get an accurate weight, and then they back out...it becomes a waste of time...so I quit.
My items usually sell on eBay, even with the hassle...I just have to price them high so I don't lose money...

Print 
© 2005-2024 Lighting-Gallery.net | SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies