Author Topic: What are the early signs of HID ballast failure?  (Read 1035 times)
Burrito

View Posts
View Gallery

Shaded OVM

What are the early signs of HID ballast failure? « on: August 09, 2022, 10:19:59 PM » Author: Burrito
I'm aware of the flicker and cycling, but what other signs are there?

ON LG FOR 2 YEARS! Please don't ask to meet up with me, as I am still living with my mother. Don't send me items either please, thank you!
LED street lights are bad. Some look good though. HID is better.
Please, watch out for the future. It's not looking good. Loves instruction manuals of any kind!

Medved

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: What are the early signs of HID ballast failure? « Reply #1 on: August 10, 2022, 03:09:37 AM » Author: Medved
Depends what failure we are talking about.
Flickering and cycling use to be results of some nearly broken connection (dry solder joint, oxidation, loose conjection clamp, loose connector,...).
Failing winding insulation will have nearly no symptoms until the "magic smoke gets released". Initially for pulse start lamps it may cause longer and longer ignition times (with semiparallel ignitor type)
Rusting core uses to end up in failing insulation (it swells up, stressing the winding).
Failing capacitors (on CWA) yield reduced lamp power (and color shifts with MH).

But tyese were just the most common links between symptom and cause, sometimes it may behave differently.
And unless you are regularly checking the ballast temperature or condition, in many cases it really has no symptoms until complete failure.

No more selfballasted c***

xelareverse

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: What are the early signs of HID ballast failure? « Reply #2 on: August 10, 2022, 08:51:03 AM » Author: xelareverse
One coil getting way hotter than the other, lamp burning dim, windings changing color, swelling out of windings, extra amp draw.
wide-lite 1000

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: What are the early signs of HID ballast failure? « Reply #3 on: August 10, 2022, 10:41:19 AM » Author: wide-lite 1000
 If it has any  , check your capacitor(s) !! When I first lit my 700w OV-50 , it was also drawing a TON of amps ! Turned out that one of the caps was a dead short . That in itself will cook a ballast in short order  .  Dim lamp can also be a sign of a bad cap .

Collector,Hoarder,Pack-rat! Clear mercury Rules!!

Burrito

View Posts
View Gallery

Shaded OVM

Re: What are the early signs of HID ballast failure? « Reply #4 on: August 10, 2022, 10:47:55 AM » Author: Burrito
Is this ballast on it's way out?

ON LG FOR 2 YEARS! Please don't ask to meet up with me, as I am still living with my mother. Don't send me items either please, thank you!
Please, watch out for the future. It's not looking good. Loves instruction manuals of any kind!

wide-lite 1000

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: What are the early signs of HID ballast failure? « Reply #5 on: August 10, 2022, 10:52:55 AM » Author: wide-lite 1000
Looks perfectly fine to me .

Burrito

View Posts
View Gallery

Shaded OVM

Re: What are the early signs of HID ballast failure? « Reply #6 on: August 10, 2022, 10:54:01 AM » Author: Burrito
Ah, Ok, Cause it's pretty loud. It also operates my MH lamp a bit dim, but maybe that's just cause it's a Satco lamp

wide-lite 1000

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: What are the early signs of HID ballast failure? « Reply #7 on: August 10, 2022, 11:05:47 AM » Author: wide-lite 1000
Could also be a weak capacitor ! You should invest in a decent meter with the capacitance function if you don't already have one .

Burrito

View Posts
View Gallery

Shaded OVM

Re: What are the early signs of HID ballast failure? « Reply #8 on: August 10, 2022, 11:06:38 AM » Author: Burrito
No, I won't yet. Cause i'm not that great with math or reading meters

wide-lite 1000

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: What are the early signs of HID ballast failure? « Reply #9 on: August 10, 2022, 11:17:26 AM » Author: wide-lite 1000
Mine's all digital . You simply set the meter to the capacitance setting , remove the wires from the cap. (power off of course!) , touch the probes to the terminals of the cap , wait for the meter to display the results . The number you get should be pretty close to the uF rating of the cap.  For example , a 24uF cap. should read between 22-26uF anymore or less and somethings wrong .

Burrito

View Posts
View Gallery

Shaded OVM

Re: What are the early signs of HID ballast failure? « Reply #10 on: August 10, 2022, 11:18:31 AM » Author: Burrito
Ok, I'll try and see if i can buy one in the near future. First though, I need to get a book so i can restore vintage cars

joseph_125

View Posts
View Gallery

GoL
Re: What are the early signs of HID ballast failure? « Reply #11 on: August 10, 2022, 01:18:17 PM » Author: joseph_125
Another thing to keep an eye on is ballast hum. It could be indicative of something like a swelling core, or a failing winding. If the ballast suddenly develops a loud hum when it previously only had a slight hum is suspect and you might want to do some further checks.
Burrito

View Posts
View Gallery

Shaded OVM

Re: What are the early signs of HID ballast failure? « Reply #12 on: August 10, 2022, 01:19:25 PM » Author: Burrito
Yeah, this one is already loud. On video, it's a bit muted, but in real life, it's freaking loud!

joseph_125

View Posts
View Gallery

GoL
Re: What are the early signs of HID ballast failure? « Reply #13 on: August 10, 2022, 01:21:51 PM » Author: joseph_125
It's not a universal tell tale as some ballasts are loud out of the box and if you got it used you wouldn't know if it was loud when it was brand new.

But if your ballast was nearly silent or had only a slight hum, you might want to inspect it if it suddenly starts buzzing loudly.
Medved

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: What are the early signs of HID ballast failure? « Reply #14 on: August 10, 2022, 04:02:23 PM » Author: Medved
One coil getting way hotter than the other, lamp burning dim, windings changing color, swelling out of windings, extra amp draw.

That is definitely a sign of failure. Normally the ballasts use to be designed to have similar temperature at both coils. Plus obviously tye swelling or discoloration really means something ise severely on its way out.
Could be capacitor (it is the magnetic part that will overheat when the cap gets shorted), but it could as well be an interturn short circuit in the hotter running winding.

No more selfballasted c***

Print 
© 2005-2024 Lighting-Gallery.net | SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies