Author Topic: Anyone use External Hard Drives on the Daily?  (Read 4156 times)
F96T12 DD VHO

View Posts
View Gallery

Just chilling I guess

https://www.facebook.com/ Unreleasedwav UC2Uv7t9KgigOoT6blff2t3w i.d._official
Anyone use External Hard Drives on the Daily? « on: June 09, 2018, 08:34:22 AM » Author: F96T12 DD VHO
I do since I'm a DJ/Producer and I have lots of music files from other artists and myself
It's another way to keep my MacBook Air saying it's running out of space
I have 5 of them and yes I use them all 
I use THIS
Yes I paid for them but not at the same time (I got 3 in 2017 and the remaining I got just 2 weeks ago)
Without these my laptop would be slower than time and I wouldn't be able to post this thread

Music Producer/Light Enthusiast

dor123

View Posts
View Gallery

Other loves are computers, office equipment, A/Cs

Re: Anyone use External Hard Drives on the Daily? « Reply #1 on: June 09, 2018, 08:56:11 AM » Author: dor123
I uses a WD My Passport Ultra 1TB external HDD to backup my computer and a WD My Passport 1TB to backup my data at my father computer.
« Last Edit: June 09, 2018, 09:53:45 AM by dor123 » Logged

I"m don't speak English well, and rely on online translating to write in this site.
Please forgive me if my choice of my words looks like offensive, while that isn't my intention.

I only working with the international date format (dd.mm.yyyy).

I lives in Israel, which is a 220-240V, 50hz country.

Rommie
Administrator

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Anyone use External Hard Drives on the Daily? « Reply #2 on: June 09, 2018, 09:54:27 AM » Author: Rommie
I use two Buffalo Terastation Pro NAS (Network Accessible Storage) drives, which live in the main network rack. That way all the data on them is accessible from any computer on the network.

« Last Edit: September 21, 2019, 02:28:17 PM by sox35 » Logged

Ria (aka Rommie) in Aberdeen
Administrator, UK & European time zones. Any questions or problems, please feel free to get in touch :love:

"What greater gift than the love of a cat..?" - Charles Dickens
*** No smiley-only replies, please ***

F96T12 DD VHO

View Posts
View Gallery

Just chilling I guess

Re: Anyone use External Hard Drives on the Daily? « Reply #3 on: June 09, 2018, 10:59:03 AM » Author: F96T12 DD VHO
I use two Buffalo Terastation Pro NAS (Network Accessible Storage) drives, which live in the main network rack. That way all the data on them is accessible from any computer on the network.

You always have the most of computer products

Rommie
Administrator

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Anyone use External Hard Drives on the Daily? « Reply #4 on: June 09, 2018, 11:05:38 AM » Author: Rommie
You always have the most of computer products
Hey, if I had the money, I'd have a lot more than this, I can tell you..!

I don't believe in skimping on things like this, I prefer to install the best that I can afford, upgrading when finances permit. That little lot took about 2 years to build up and we still haven't finished what we want to do..!

The next job is to install some dado trunking above the desks for power and Ethernet:

Administrator, UK & European time zones. Any questions or problems, please feel free to get in touch :love:

F96T12 DD VHO

View Posts
View Gallery

Just chilling I guess

Re: Anyone use External Hard Drives on the Daily? « Reply #5 on: June 09, 2018, 11:46:48 AM » Author: F96T12 DD VHO
Sorry if I triggered you
But all I have is a Dell PC, MacBook Air, and 6 Pioneer CDJs
Mackenzie has a MacBook Air too

Rommie
Administrator

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Anyone use External Hard Drives on the Daily? « Reply #6 on: June 09, 2018, 12:09:38 PM » Author: Rommie
Sorry if I triggered you
But all I have is a Dell PC, MacBook Air, and 6 Pioneer CDJs
Mackenzie has a MacBook Air too

Don't know what you mean by triggered, I suppose I do sometimes go off on one..! I think it's my autistic streak showing. I've never officially been diagnosed, but it explains all the symptoms I've had over the years.

I like Dell stuff, my laptop is a Dell Latitude E6420, and I also have an old Inspiron 9400 which still has XP on it that doesn't get used, I might dig it out one day and see if I can get Linux up and running on it.

I'm sorry to say it, but I detest Macs, they are fine for things like desktop publishing and similar purposes, but as an office machine they're worse than useless in my opinion.

That reminds me, Sammi used to volunteer for a local charity alongside someone who was called Max. One day they were in the office and the paid staff member who was there suddenly let out an expletive while working on the (Mac) computer: "I [censored] hate [censored] Macs..!"

Upon which Max sat up and said "What have I done..?"  :o  :D

tolivac

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Anyone use External Hard Drives on the Daily? « Reply #7 on: June 10, 2018, 12:34:57 AM » Author: tolivac
I use an external HD to store pictures and videos from my cameras.
icefoglights

View Posts
View Gallery

ITT Low Pressure Sodium NEMA

GoL
Re: Anyone use External Hard Drives on the Daily? « Reply #8 on: June 12, 2018, 12:42:39 AM » Author: icefoglights
I currently have a USB 3.0 WD MyBook that I keep extra stuff on, and run backups from my laptop to.  Since this new laptop doesn't have an internal optical drive, I also have an external DVD writer plugged in too.  Both are plugged into an external USB hub connected to the USB-C port on my laptop, keeping the internal USB ports free for other stuff.

I would love to find an enclosure that combines a CD/DVD drive with a hard drive in one enclosure with one connection.  A built-in USB hub would be nice too.

01010010 01101111 01100010 01100101 01110010 01110100

icefoglights

View Posts
View Gallery

GoL
Re: Anyone use External Hard Drives on the Daily? « Reply #9 on: April 19, 2020, 10:03:16 PM » Author: icefoglights
I haven't found a combination CD/HDD enclosure, but I did find a USB docking station with a space for a 2.5" HDD, 6 USB ports, network, monitor and sound connectors.  At the time I got it, the hard drive capacity was limited to 2TB, as the 15MM 3TB hard drives were too tall to fit inside the case.  I currently have my CD/DVD drive, external speakers, and printer plugged into it, and connect it to the USB C port on my laptop.

LampLover

View Posts
View Gallery
120/240VAC @ 60HZ

GoL PeterYachymczyk UCYBAif_ag4v8nIcCU3VAmag
Re: Anyone use External Hard Drives on the Daily? « Reply #10 on: April 20, 2020, 03:45:48 PM » Author: LampLover
I have quite a few external drives in use.

I have a SST-DS321 with 2x 1TB drives in each slot/bay

I have 2 Rosewill Armer RX304-APU3-35B drive cases one with a 4TB drive and the other with a 2TB drive.

Unfortunately the blue power LED is dying on both of them with a symptom that I have never seen before it will lit dimly sometimes other times flicker but most of the time it is off, I wish it would make up its mind already ;D

I also just bought an 8TB just to 'shuck' it for the actual SATA hard disk drive that is inside the case. I find it odd that buying an external drive (with the added costs of the SATA to USB converter and case and the power supply) is actually cheaper then buying a bare SATA disk but that is capitalism at its finest I guess ;D

@icefoglights I have never seen HDD/ODD enclosure before but I do miss the days when pre-built computers still used full size (5.25") optical drives now the new trend seems to be the slimline (AKA laptop style ones) are used if the computer even has one included as a lot of newer computers do not have one.

I just built a new computer with a Ryzen 7 3700X to replace my i7-4790K that I was using for years. I made sure to pick a case that had bays for atleast 2 full sized optical drives. I have a DVD/CD reader/writer and a Blu-Ray reader CD/DVD reader/writer I don't have the need or want for a Blu-Ray writer

LED Free Zone!
All For HID, magnetic rapid-start Preheat & old-school electronic Only (no instant start F17T8 & F32T8 allowed)

icefoglights

View Posts
View Gallery

GoL
Re: Anyone use External Hard Drives on the Daily? « Reply #11 on: April 20, 2020, 07:38:08 PM » Author: icefoglights
When I built my desktop a little over a year ago (still don't know why I did it), I had to do some searching for a case.  There were many huge ATX cases with 4 5.25" drive bays, but I didn't want something that big.  My chosen board was micro-ATX, but almost all micro-ATX cases lacked any kind of external drive bays.  I finally found a nice little tower with one 5.25" bay for the CD/DVD reader/writer, and one 3.5" drive bay for the card reader.

Technically the "full size" 5.25" drive bays are really half-height.  Real full size 5.25" drives were the tall floppy disk drives that were used with likes of the Apple II+ and IBM PC/XT.  But I do know what you mean about the laptop ODDs in desktop cases.

LampLover

View Posts
View Gallery
120/240VAC @ 60HZ

GoL PeterYachymczyk UCYBAif_ag4v8nIcCU3VAmag
Re: Anyone use External Hard Drives on the Daily? « Reply #12 on: April 20, 2020, 10:53:56 PM » Author: LampLover
When I built my desktop a little over a year ago (still don't know why I did it), I had to do some searching for a case.  There were many huge ATX cases with 4 5.25" drive bays, but I didn't want something that big.  My chosen board was micro-ATX, but almost all micro-ATX cases lacked any kind of external drive bays.  I finally found a nice little tower with one 5.25" bay for the CD/DVD reader/writer, and one 3.5" drive bay for the card reader.

Technically the "full size" 5.25" drive bays are really half-height.  Real full size 5.25" drives were the tall floppy disk drives that were used with likes of the Apple II+ and IBM PC/XT.  But I do know what you mean about the laptop ODDs in desktop cases.

This is the case I actually got and I think I got the last one in stock. It was the only one I could find with 2 half height 5.25" bays and a 3.25" bay for my card reader. It was also the cheapest part of my Ryzen build

Yes I do remember the full height floppy drives (back when they could really be called that, before the hard plastic micro "floppy" disks came out).

I remember back around 1996 I was given my Uncles old computer it was a Tandy 1000 I don't remember the exact version or model (after all I was only 12 years old in 1996) but I do remember it have dual 5.25" floppy drive that were black in color while the rest of the machine was a beige color.

Oh now I wish I had not gotten rid of when I had to move out of that condo sometime in late 1999 after my Grandfather passed in 1998 the condo was sold to settle the estate but such is life :(

If I still had some of the things from when I was young I would not be living in an apartment I would be living in a multi-million dollar mansion but oh well 8;). It seems stuff that was thought to be old junk is now worth money and is cool again :'-)
« Last Edit: April 20, 2020, 10:58:02 PM by LampLover » Logged

LED Free Zone!
All For HID, magnetic rapid-start Preheat & old-school electronic Only (no instant start F17T8 & F32T8 allowed)

icefoglights

View Posts
View Gallery

GoL
Re: Anyone use External Hard Drives on the Daily? « Reply #13 on: April 21, 2020, 07:10:58 AM » Author: icefoglights
This is the case I actually got and I think I got the last one in stock. It was the only one I could find with 2 half height 5.25" bays and a 3.25" bay for my card reader. It was also the cheapest part of my Ryzen build

Small world!  My case is actually the MATX version of that!

Rommie
Administrator

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Anyone use External Hard Drives on the Daily? « Reply #14 on: April 21, 2020, 08:14:32 AM » Author: Rommie
Technically the "full size" 5.25" drive bays are really half-height.  Real full size 5.25" drives were the tall floppy disk drives that were used with likes of the Apple II+ and IBM PC/XT.  But I do know what you mean about the laptop ODDs in desktop cases.
I remember them well..! The first IBM PC I ever used was one of these which was a hybrid of an XT and a mainframe terminal. The keyboard was huge  :lol:

The HDD was a whopping (wait for it....) 10MB  :o  :lol:

Print 
© 2005-2024 Lighting-Gallery.net | SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies