Author Topic: What did you do today lighting wise?  (Read 261295 times)
Mandolin Girl

View Posts
View Gallery

Oil Lamp Addict

Re: What did you do today lighting wise? « Reply #1230 on: October 16, 2022, 11:09:36 AM » Author: Mandolin Girl
I spent half an hour trying to get the wick winding mechanism of my Chalwyn Lynx lantern to feed the wick correctly. :curse:

It's still not doing it smoothly, so that lantern is going to be a standby one.  :oil-ltn:

Hugs and STUFF Sammi xXx (also in Aberdeen) :love: :oil-ltn:
Published Author ;D
There are two kinds of light  -  the glow that illuminates, and the glare that obscures.
James Thurber
SMILEY ONLY ANSWERS WILL BE DELETED FROM MY POSTS

Bulbman256

View Posts
View Gallery

Mad Max

Bulbman256
Re: What did you do today lighting wise? « Reply #1231 on: October 16, 2022, 01:46:50 PM » Author: Bulbman256
Yesterday i went to 7 restores in my local area, I think I might have beat an LG record for most Restore Visits in 1 day. Got a bunch of cool stuff including an old westy power meter and a 400w Sylvania Clear top that is absolutely mint and is either from 1970 or 1960. :bulbman:

Collecting light bulbs since 2012, a madman since birth.

joseph_125

View Posts
View Gallery

GoL
Re: What did you do today lighting wise? « Reply #1232 on: October 16, 2022, 04:26:49 PM » Author: joseph_125
7 in a day seems to be a record. I usually manage 3-4 different Restores in a day at most. Sounds like you got some great stuff though.
Rommie
Administrator

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: What did you do today lighting wise? « Reply #1233 on: October 16, 2022, 05:21:36 PM » Author: Rommie
At least you have seven to visit, we'd settle for just one, but things like this are unknown this side of the pond  :sadbulb:

Ria (aka Rommie) in Aberdeen
Administrator, UK & European time zones. Any questions or problems, please feel free to get in touch :love:

"What greater gift than the love of a cat..?" - Charles Dickens
*** No smiley-only replies, please ***

108CAM

View Posts
View Gallery

Diehard MV, HPS, SOX & Preheat Fluorescent Fanatic

UCG6Xojn8dNgDuN9J7_Gnj8w
Re: What did you do today lighting wise? « Reply #1234 on: October 17, 2022, 03:34:44 AM » Author: 108CAM
I bought a Toshiba 250w MV lamp from an antiques store and posted the 1234th reply to this topic

Fluro starter pings combined with a 50hz ballast hum and blinking tubes is music to my ears.

Rest in Peace Electronic Lamp Manufacturers of Australia
1925-2002

Bring back the AJF Zodiacs!

Total incidents since joining LG: 17
Lamps accidently broken or smashed: 14
Ballast explosions/burnouts: 3

Mandolin Girl

View Posts
View Gallery

Oil Lamp Addict

Re: What did you do today lighting wise? « Reply #1235 on: October 17, 2022, 11:42:32 AM » Author: Mandolin Girl
I've just bought another of the Chalwyn Oily Lampses, this time a New Pilot model.  :oil-ltn:  :love:

Published Author ;D
There are two kinds of light  -  the glow that illuminates, and the glare that obscures.
James Thurber

Olav

View Posts
View Gallery

Olav Kettner
Re: What did you do today lighting wise? « Reply #1236 on: October 17, 2022, 03:24:54 PM » Author: Olav
I am currently doing the rest of the work on the test boards that magslight has been very diligent in building for all of me.

The little rubber "feet" were still missing, so that the test boards can stand up well and the table doesn't get scratched by all the nuts and bolts sticking out on the underside.

It is a work that is "invisible" later. It's done and no longer noticeable. It's not fun when you have to do it at home, but the work pays off.
So I always do one thing after the other and drill the holes and then build in the countersunk screws with the rubber foot and a nut.

Mandolin Girl

View Posts
View Gallery

Oil Lamp Addict

Re: What did you do today lighting wise? « Reply #1237 on: October 17, 2022, 04:35:35 PM » Author: Mandolin Girl
Nice construction work, I wish we had the space in our flat to have a pillar drill.  8)

Published Author ;D
James Thurber

Olav

View Posts
View Gallery

Olav Kettner
Re: What did you do today lighting wise? « Reply #1238 on: October 17, 2022, 06:30:24 PM » Author: Olav
It's all improvised. The small drill press is on top of the washing machine in my kitchen. There is little space.
Olav

View Posts
View Gallery

Olav Kettner
Re: What did you do today lighting wise? « Reply #1239 on: October 18, 2022, 09:19:24 AM » Author: Olav
Another picture here from the next completed test board.
Here you can see the "feet" made of black rubber.
An oldie was allowed to do the first test run today.

Rommie
Administrator

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: What did you do today lighting wise? « Reply #1240 on: October 18, 2022, 10:50:27 AM » Author: Rommie
60W "Bamboo" lamp, nice one, love the colour of the start-up on these, due to the Xe-Ne-He fill  :lps: 8)

We used to make boards like that, but we found it easier to separate the ballast from the lamp, in order that lamps that require specific burning positions could be accommodated, so we now have the lamps themselves held in laboratory retort stands and plugging into a socket on the ballast board:

Ria (aka Rommie) in Aberdeen
Administrator, UK & European time zones. Any questions or problems, please feel free to get in touch :love:

"What greater gift than the love of a cat..?" - Charles Dickens
*** No smiley-only replies, please ***

Olav

View Posts
View Gallery

Olav Kettner
Re: What did you do today lighting wise? « Reply #1241 on: October 18, 2022, 12:40:49 PM » Author: Olav
This is a good solution.
Starting with 90W LPS, it makes sense to make a division:

- one plate for the gear
- one plate (or alternative bracket) for the lamp. 

That's my plan, too.
RyanF40T12

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: What did you do today lighting wise? « Reply #1242 on: October 18, 2022, 01:55:31 PM » Author: RyanF40T12
Been busy converting 150W Mogul base HPS to LED.  One building got new bulbs in existing fixtures with ballast bypass/removal since there was not a wide area that needed to be covered with light and which I did not want to glare bomb the houses to the sides and behind the building, and another building is getting new Keystone LED area lights. (4000K)  (Special order, as we needed white fixtures to match the poles) 

https://keystonetech.com/xfit-area-lights/

« Last Edit: October 18, 2022, 01:57:38 PM by RyanF40T12 » Logged

The more you hate the LED movement, the stronger it becomes.

RyanF40T12

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: What did you do today lighting wise? « Reply #1243 on: October 19, 2022, 03:18:46 AM » Author: RyanF40T12
Converted another 2 fixtures over.  have 2 remaining, that I will do tomorrow. 
Ordered a bunch of lighting stuff off of ebay.  75W MV bulbs, 70 watt MH bulbs, a lithonia F40T12 VHO fixture and some vintage Westinghouse cool white tubes to go along with them.  <evil grin>

The more you hate the LED movement, the stronger it becomes.

108CAM

View Posts
View Gallery

Diehard MV, HPS, SOX & Preheat Fluorescent Fanatic

UCG6Xojn8dNgDuN9J7_Gnj8w
Re: What did you do today lighting wise? « Reply #1244 on: October 19, 2022, 03:29:24 AM » Author: 108CAM
I started work on restoring a cast aluminium light pole that I found in a trash pile.

Fluro starter pings combined with a 50hz ballast hum and blinking tubes is music to my ears.

Rest in Peace Electronic Lamp Manufacturers of Australia
1925-2002

Bring back the AJF Zodiacs!

Total incidents since joining LG: 17
Lamps accidently broken or smashed: 14
Ballast explosions/burnouts: 3

Print 
© 2005-2024 Lighting-Gallery.net | SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies