Author Topic: longest run merc vapor ballast still in use or died ?  (Read 2581 times)
prawnman88

View Posts
View Gallery

my old friend proteus the prawn!

longest run merc vapor ballast still in use or died ? « on: February 08, 2009, 07:34:42 PM » Author: prawnman88
how long do these go for ? new stuff u are lucky to get 3 years out of today's junk
DimBulb

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: longest run merc vapor ballast still in use or died ? « Reply #1 on: February 08, 2009, 11:10:20 PM » Author: DimBulb
As far as I know, my 1963 Powr/Bracket still has the original ballast and bulb. It was taken out of service in '04 or '05 and still works. A lot of older stuff just won't die! When I was a kid, it was rare to see a non working streetlight. Not like today.

My very first word was LIGHT!

Mercury Man

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: longest run merc vapor ballast still in use or died ? « Reply #2 on: February 08, 2009, 11:17:28 PM » Author: Mercury Man
I think that the length of time that a ballast survives not only depends on the quality of it, but also the fixture that it is housed in.  For example, I think the reason that NEMA head ballasts last so much longer than those in yardblasters is because NEMAs have larger ballast housings which don't cause the ballast to become seriously overheated.  My NEMA stays pretty cool after running for awhile, but my yardblaster gets BURNING hot.  I'm sure this has something to do with how long they last. 
gmercury2000

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: longest run merc vapor ballast still in use or died ? « Reply #3 on: February 09, 2009, 03:20:44 PM » Author: gmercury2000
Also think about the size of the ballast and the windings, If you look at the yardblaster. Most of them are 175 watt and the real NEMA has a 100 watt ballast and it is bigger and the windings are heavier duty. Of course many real NEMA's have 175watt also. Just the fact that the ballasts are larger, they are not over worked like the junk yardblasters.
fran4001

View Posts
View Gallery

Fran Festa hofnerholic
Re: longest run merc vapor ballast still in use or died ? « Reply #4 on: February 21, 2009, 10:47:14 PM » Author: fran4001
My Pemco 100w Merc NEMA head w/Lexalite optics is date coded to early 1965, went into service in June of '65 here in PPL territory, and served faithfully on US Route 6 in Honesdale PA until it was decomissioned in 1987 after 22 years. I saved her from the scrapheap and installed her at my house where she has continued to run every night, tonight included. I'm looking at her now over my detached garage's door as I write this. In a few months she'll have her 44th birthday providing my favorite light. Not bad service! By the way, she has a Jefferson Electric ballast inside and the original red Ripley SunSwitch on top too, which is also a great, long service for a PE if I must say so myself. This fixture is DEAD quiet still, and runs cool, which leads me to believe she'll continue to light my yard for another 30 years. I'l leave her up until she can't do it anymore. Not to worry though, I have three more ex-PPL units that are eager to get to work!  ;D
Silverliner
Administrator

View Posts
View Gallery

Rare white reflector

GoL
Re: longest run merc vapor ballast still in use or died ? « Reply #5 on: February 22, 2009, 01:14:45 AM » Author: Silverliner
My OV-14B served nightly from '57 until it was retired from street lighting duty in '06. The huge original ballast and three capacitors still work quietly to this day. It's still pretty clean inside except for dirt and dust on the door. Maybe it'll last another 50 years? I wouldn't doubt it.

Administrator of Lighting-Gallery.net. Need help? PM me.

Member of L-G since 2005.

Collector of vintage bulbs, street lights and fluorescent fixtures.

Electrician.

Also a fan of cars, travelling, working out, food, hanging out.

Power company: Southern California Edison.

TudorWhiz

View Posts
View Gallery

GoL
Re: longest run merc vapor ballast still in use or died ? « Reply #6 on: February 22, 2009, 05:14:33 AM » Author: TudorWhiz
My OV-14B served nightly from '57 until it was retired from street lighting duty in '06. The huge original ballast and three capacitors still work quietly to this day. It's still pretty clean inside except for dirt and dust on the door. Maybe it'll last another 50 years? I wouldn't doubt it.

Same for mine on the same date and area and all that....one more thing, mine's cleaner than Dave's!  :P
« Last Edit: February 27, 2009, 11:35:03 AM by TudorWhiz » Logged

For pictures of my streetlight collection and other streetlight pictures with some various pictures that are not in this website, please visit http://www.galleryoflights.org/  under GullWhiz

Administrator of Galleryoflights.org

chapman84
Re: longest run merc vapor ballast still in use or died ? « Reply #7 on: February 22, 2009, 10:54:58 AM » Author: chapman84
My Westinghouse OV-15 served the Duquesne Light area from 1970 until 2000 but it still works to this very day. So it had 30 years of good service.
prawnman88

View Posts
View Gallery

my old friend proteus the prawn!

Re: longest run merc vapor ballast still in use or died ? « Reply #8 on: February 22, 2009, 11:07:06 AM » Author: prawnman88
my old nema head that has the teardrop lens out front was dated arround early 60's and still is going strong newer bulb but still fires up every night i doubt the hps fixtures on the main street will even last that long . thx for sharing guys. mers diehard if they die
Print 
© 2005-2024 Lighting-Gallery.net | SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies