Author Topic: 70W HPS Ballast Wiring Help  (Read 689 times)
Maxim

View Posts
View Gallery

Stop replacing fixtures that can be retrofitted.

70W HPS Ballast Wiring Help « on: October 18, 2023, 04:09:09 PM » Author: Maxim
Hi all,

Just got my very first HID ballast, from a friend.

It's a Sola Basic 70W S-62 ballast with all wires in the same color (white).

The ballast was previously used, so a good number of connections are already in place. Now I'm left with the line/neutral connections, as well as the lampholder.

PS the black wirenuts in the photo below denote the ballast / lamp ignitor connections. One goes to the large section, whilst the other goes to the small section.

Attached below is a photo. Thanks so very much!!!
« Last Edit: October 18, 2023, 04:34:16 PM by Maxim » Logged

Collector of all kinds of lamps, gear, and fixtures.
My favorite lighting technologies at the moment are incandescent and mercury vapor, and my favorite Big 3 lighting brand of the late 20th century is GTE Sylvania.

About that Westinghouse Lifeguard disease, I think I've caught it. Thanks Eric! 8)

RRK

View Posts
View Gallery
Roman

Re: 70W HPS Ballast Wiring Help « Reply #1 on: October 19, 2023, 12:07:26 AM » Author: RRK
Well, this is not the easiest. With a bunch of unmarked white wires even seasoned people can easily get confused. You can look at useful references like https://hid.venturelighting.com/TechCenter/BallastTypes.html for familiar wiring patterns.

By the way, that kind of question definitely deserves a better photo, where all the wires are visible and are spread out in a meaningful way as to be able to trace their origins!

From the picture, this is definitely an (auto)transformer ballast. For a small lamp, most likely just a leakage transformer (HX) or less likely, CWA circuit.

The coil with the most wires should be multi-tap primary. Sometimes, the connection to secondary is at 120V tap. In that case you can easily deduct this. Sometimes no, may be will require a creative play with an ohm-meter.
« Last Edit: October 19, 2023, 12:18:51 AM by RRK » Logged
WorldwideHIDCollectorUSA

View Posts
View Gallery

HID, LPS, and preheat fluorescents forever!!!!!!

Worldwide HIDCollectorUSA
Re: 70W HPS Ballast Wiring Help « Reply #2 on: October 19, 2023, 04:48:42 AM » Author: WorldwideHIDCollectorUSA
I found an identical ballast just like this one and it contains the wiring diagram to help you make your connections:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/273629086823

Let me know if this diagram seen on the eBay listing helps.

Desire to collect various light bulbs (especially HID), control gear, and fixtures from around the world.

DISCLAIMER: THE EXPERIMENTS THAT I CONDUCT INVOLVING UNUSUAL LAMP/BALLAST COMBINATIONS SHOULD NOT BE ATTEMPTED UNLESS YOU HAVE THE PROPER KNOWLEDGE. I AM NOT RESPONSIBLE FOR ANY INJURIES.

Bottled lightning

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: 70W HPS Ballast Wiring Help « Reply #3 on: October 23, 2023, 07:46:12 PM » Author: Bottled lightning
Often the labels are printed on the wires.
Maxim

View Posts
View Gallery

Stop replacing fixtures that can be retrofitted.

Re: 70W HPS Ballast Wiring Help « Reply #4 on: October 23, 2023, 07:49:15 PM » Author: Maxim
So, I see the wiring diagram, thanks, but how do I read A and all of the other demarcations for said ballast? It looks to be much more complex than that of say a fluorescent lamp, etc.

Collector of all kinds of lamps, gear, and fixtures.
My favorite lighting technologies at the moment are incandescent and mercury vapor, and my favorite Big 3 lighting brand of the late 20th century is GTE Sylvania.

About that Westinghouse Lifeguard disease, I think I've caught it. Thanks Eric! 8)

Bottled lightning

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: 70W HPS Ballast Wiring Help « Reply #5 on: October 23, 2023, 11:57:18 PM » Author: Bottled lightning
What does the printing on the wires say? I think I see "lamp" on one of the wires going to the black wire nuts.
Print 
© 2005-2024 Lighting-Gallery.net | SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies