Author Topic: Has anyone gotten around to 3D printing mogul bi-pin sockets?  (Read 1854 times)
HomeBrewLamps

View Posts
View Gallery

SodiumVapor 105843202020668111118 UCpGClK_9OH8N4QkD1fp-jNw majorpayne1226 187567902@N04/
Has anyone gotten around to 3D printing mogul bi-pin sockets? « on: December 05, 2020, 05:26:18 PM » Author: HomeBrewLamps
I need a pair for my super diazo lamp and I'm not too worried about heat. I figure a piece of tin foil or something will dissipate heat well enough.

I don't immediately need them as I have yet to ship a package out to Mike, but once my monetary situation comes around to stability again I'd appreciate something other than a pair of wires wrapped around the pins.

~Owen

:colorbulb: Scavenger, Urban Explorer, Lighting Enthusiast and Creator of homebrewlamps 8) :colorbulb:

Binarix128

View Posts
View Gallery
220V AC 50Hz, NTSC

GoL UCOUT2noI2R__jgPSJUjGRtA
Re: Has anyone gotten around to 3D printing mogul bi-pin sockets? « Reply #1 on: December 05, 2020, 05:48:06 PM » Author: Binarix128
I would 3D-print the socket mold instead, for them make the final socket of clay or cement, by this way you get cheaper, faster making and long term sockets.
joseph_125

View Posts
View Gallery

GoL
Re: Has anyone gotten around to 3D printing mogul bi-pin sockets? « Reply #2 on: December 05, 2020, 06:56:26 PM » Author: joseph_125
I have, although I don't have any lamps to do an actual fit test with. The one I have is made from PLA so it's pretty much only good for a fit test. You really want a higher temp rated + flame retardant plastic if you were to actually use it with a lamp.

IIRC I think you might bet able to use a European style terminal strip with those T17 pins for a cleaner setup..
Binarix128

View Posts
View Gallery
220V AC 50Hz, NTSC

Re: Has anyone gotten around to 3D printing mogul bi-pin sockets? « Reply #3 on: December 05, 2020, 06:59:19 PM » Author: Binarix128
Oh, my error, I thought you wanted screw sockets. Yes, 3D-printing them is the best option I see. Again, you can make molds of it and use a resin to make the sockets.
Bulbman256

View Posts
View Gallery

Mad Max

Bulbman256
Re: Has anyone gotten around to 3D printing mogul bi-pin sockets? « Reply #4 on: December 05, 2020, 07:00:56 PM » Author: Bulbman256
Wonder if this can be pulled of for admedium sockets because if so, i would order 2! :D

Collecting light bulbs since 2012, a madman since birth.

Ash

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Has anyone gotten around to 3D printing mogul bi-pin sockets? « Reply #5 on: December 05, 2020, 07:01:22 PM » Author: Ash
At one point (around 2014 ?) I wanted to make a clone of a Gaash 2000 (not particularly common lantern, although probably not classed as rare either), so asked some of the UK members for measurements of the GEC Europa sockets (same design) to start drawing, and yep, 3D print the sockets. Then before i even started any real work on it, i got a few real 2000's in the collection.....

Another option to consider is to make the socket faces (with conductors and everything) as a printed circuit board, and solder on spring terminals (there are many all over Digikey) that would make the lamp connection. Make a 2nd piece as the back of the socket to enclose it

Besides, 4 pin HDD power connectors (the type commonly called "Molex", with Yellow Black Black Red wires) plug quite well onto tube pins, thouth i have only tested with G5 (works great) and G13 (pins pitch dont line up, so have to use 2 connectors, but otherwise works)
joseph_125

View Posts
View Gallery

GoL
Re: Has anyone gotten around to 3D printing mogul bi-pin sockets? « Reply #6 on: December 05, 2020, 07:09:41 PM » Author: joseph_125
I got as far as designing the actual copper contacts that got into the lampholder but I never ended up making them as I didn't have any lamps to test them with. I think 3d printing them straight out of something like fire retardant ABS or PC might work well enough.

The alternate way would to design a different version that could be machined easily instead...perhaps a turret style holder with sprung contacts. However if machining, you might be better off making a mold instead.
WorldwideHIDCollectorUSA

View Posts
View Gallery

HID, LPS, and preheat fluorescents forever!!!!!!

Worldwide HIDCollectorUSA
Re: Has anyone gotten around to 3D printing mogul bi-pin sockets? « Reply #7 on: December 05, 2020, 10:05:46 PM » Author: WorldwideHIDCollectorUSA
What about trying to 3D print 3 pin BC lampholders for older British low wattage mercury vapor lamps?

Desire to collect various light bulbs (especially HID), control gear, and fixtures from around the world.

DISCLAIMER: THE EXPERIMENTS THAT I CONDUCT INVOLVING UNUSUAL LAMP/BALLAST COMBINATIONS SHOULD NOT BE ATTEMPTED UNLESS YOU HAVE THE PROPER KNOWLEDGE. I AM NOT RESPONSIBLE FOR ANY INJURIES.

Lumex120

View Posts
View Gallery

/X rated

UCM30tBQDUECOV6VeG5W87Vg
Re: Has anyone gotten around to 3D printing mogul bi-pin sockets? « Reply #8 on: December 05, 2020, 11:32:13 PM » Author: Lumex120
How hot do T17 lamps get on the ends? I think it could totally be done with the right material. (HTPLA comes to mind first, PETG might work since it doesn't really burn well but it might soften if it gets too hot).

Unofficial LG Discord

joseph_125

View Posts
View Gallery

GoL
Re: Has anyone gotten around to 3D printing mogul bi-pin sockets? « Reply #9 on: December 06, 2020, 12:07:15 AM » Author: joseph_125
If it's anything like the T12 HO lamps, then around hot to touch. Unfortunately I don't have any lamps or a ballast to test.

The F40T17 lamps would probably run significantly cooler due to the lower power loading.
Lumex120

View Posts
View Gallery

/X rated

UCM30tBQDUECOV6VeG5W87Vg
Re: Has anyone gotten around to 3D printing mogul bi-pin sockets? « Reply #10 on: December 06, 2020, 12:17:37 AM » Author: Lumex120
If it's anything like the T12 HO lamps, then around hot to touch. Unfortunately I don't have any lamps or a ballast to test.

The F40T17 lamps would probably run significantly cooler due to the lower power loading.
Looking at your design for the bipin sockets that you 3D printed, I'm thinking you could maybe even make the contacts out of strips cut from an aluminum can with the plastic sanded/burned off. Might be an easier way to make some quickly just for testing purposes.

Unofficial LG Discord

joseph_125

View Posts
View Gallery

GoL
Re: Has anyone gotten around to 3D printing mogul bi-pin sockets? « Reply #11 on: December 06, 2020, 12:30:41 AM » Author: joseph_125
I actually had a contact design in mind for those lampholders but I never got around to making the contacts. I even got a copper strip lying around somewhere that I intended to install in them as a test.

If I ever manage to get a T17 lamp I'd probably revisit this project and finish the contacts.
Medved

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Has anyone gotten around to 3D printing mogul bi-pin sockets? « Reply #12 on: December 06, 2020, 03:45:17 PM » Author: Medved
I think if you are able to use ABS, it should work for low heat lamps.
But the UV could be a problem. I don't know if the filament materials have any UV stabilizers in them...

And the porosity of the extruded print would be an insulation problem (it will hold moisture and so form current paths).
So the print may need some good sealing treatment.

No more selfballasted c***

Binarix128

View Posts
View Gallery
220V AC 50Hz, NTSC

Re: Has anyone gotten around to 3D printing mogul bi-pin sockets? « Reply #13 on: December 06, 2020, 04:08:51 PM » Author: Binarix128
@Medved: By 3D-printing just the mold and then pouring your own material is better, because you can choose the right resin or cement that can resist UV and heat, also you will get a faster and cheaper sockets. I've seen 3D prints being processed with blue light, so they are extremely sensitive and the tube will eat the sockets within days, also they won't be happy with the heat because 3D filament is designed to be extruded with rather low temperature around 70°C, just like normal hot melt glue.
Ash

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Has anyone gotten around to 3D printing mogul bi-pin sockets? « Reply #14 on: December 06, 2020, 04:34:05 PM » Author: Ash
The sockets can be made of 2 parts, the face being an FR4 circuit board (with all the cuts being designed into it as a circuit board), and the back shell (that does not touch the lamp) as a 3D printed part

Something overall like in older British T12 lanterns like GEC Europa (Gaash 2000), Fitzgerald Lightpack (~early 90s version for 1 tube) etc
Print 
© 2005-2024 Lighting-Gallery.net | SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies