Author Topic: Light fixtures that you find nostalgic  (Read 2375 times)
WorldwideHIDCollectorUSA

View Posts
View Gallery

HID, LPS, and preheat fluorescents forever!!!!!!

Worldwide HIDCollectorUSA
Light fixtures that you find nostalgic « on: February 03, 2022, 12:58:17 AM » Author: WorldwideHIDCollectorUSA
While remembering my childhood in the days before LED was used for general illumination, there are certain types of light fixtures that I tend to find particularly nostalgic. Personally, I find 400w M59 probe start metal halide transparent high bay fixtures, 1000w M47 probe start metal halide transparent high bay fixtures, 4 lamp F40T12 magnetic rapid start 2’x4’ fluorescent tube troffers with prismatic diffusers, 3 lamp F32T8 electronic instant start 18 cell 2’x4’ parabolic fluorescent tube troffers to be some examples of light fixtures that trigger nostalgia in me because I recall seeing them used everywhere in public as a child before LED lighting took over here in the USA. Does anyone else find any particular light fixtures triggering nostalgic vibes as well?

Desire to collect various light bulbs (especially HID), control gear, and fixtures from around the world.

DISCLAIMER: THE EXPERIMENTS THAT I CONDUCT INVOLVING UNUSUAL LAMP/BALLAST COMBINATIONS SHOULD NOT BE ATTEMPTED UNLESS YOU HAVE THE PROPER KNOWLEDGE. I AM NOT RESPONSIBLE FOR ANY INJURIES.

fluorescent lover 40

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Light fixtures that you find nostalgic « Reply #1 on: February 03, 2022, 01:23:44 AM » Author: fluorescent lover 40
Younger one here.

-----

interior lights

fluorescent wrap lights
fluorescent troffers, mainly the 4x F40T12 ones
high or low bay of any kind
8ft fluorescent strip lights
Recessed lighting

-----

exterior lights

Lithonia TWP
Hubbell Perimaliter (all types, except the LED ones)
Shoebox (any brand and model that isn't LED)
Wallpack (any brand and model that isn't LED)
Hubbell RLC and RLG
Westinghouse OV-25
GE M-250A
GE M-250R1
GE M-250R2
AE Series 113

-----

on the CalTrans system

GE Versaflood II (MV)
GE Versaflood III (induction)
fluorescent sign lights
GE M-400 (all types, M-400 first-generation look, M-400A, M-400R2, M-400A2, and M-400 and M-400A last generations used respectively)
GE M-1000
AE/ITT Series 25
AE Series 325
soffit lights (MV and HPS, flat glass and refractored versions respectively)
GE Lowmount HPS lights
Philips/AE SRP
GE and Holophane highmast lights (both HPS and MH, both light sources used on the same pole)

_

There's a lot more for sure...
joseph_125

View Posts
View Gallery

GoL
Re: Light fixtures that you find nostalgic « Reply #2 on: February 03, 2022, 02:06:36 AM » Author: joseph_125
Mostly older stuff, some might still be found in my area if you look deeper:

Interior Lighting:
Louvered fluorescent fixtures, especially if mounted on stem mounts
100w, 125w, and 175w MV recessed cans, seems like every mall built from 1970-1990 had them at one point here. They slowly went away in the 2000s with only a few places having working examples.
8ft fluorescent strips or recessed strips, was common in older supermarkets and department stores.
CMH track and recessed lights, they took off after the mid 2000s but also went away fairly quickly once LEDs ere cheap.
4x4 fluorescent troffers, a lot of older 1960s era department stores had them. Unfortunately store renovations and closures saw the end of most of them. 
MH highbays These were the mainstay in big box stores from the 1980s to the mid 2000s. Replaced by T8/T5 fluorescent highbays and later by LEDs. 

Outdoor/Roadway Lighting:
Powerlite cobraheads, especially the B2255, B2227, and R47
Westinghouse OV15 and OV15
McGraw Unidor 250 and 400
Any incandescent traffic signal but the old CGE signals in particular (12-8-8, 8-8-8, and 12" pedestrian configs) that were common before the late 2000s. Some places still have a few CGE signals in use but LED converted.
Cooper URB gumballs, technically still around for the time being.
The old Philips and Thorn SOX 135 and 180 luminaires on the municipal expressways here. Removed in stages beginning in 1997 to 2005.
The Steel-Art Illuminated Street Signs that used to be on every pole in the central part of Toronto and in some subdivisions. They were incandescent and were phased out starting in 2000. A few lingered on with long dead bulbs and I think the last one in Toronto proper was removed in 2020. The ones pictured are in a subdivision that opted to keep their signs...they even got converted to LED. 
Econolite03

View Posts
View Gallery

Matthew E.

Re: Light fixtures that you find nostalgic « Reply #3 on: February 03, 2022, 02:33:47 AM » Author: Econolite03
I’ve only existed since the early 2000s but here it is:

Indoor:
  • Half Circle Sconces
  • PAR38 Track Lights
  • Louvered T8 Troffers

Outdoor:
  • Gardco Form 10s
  • Kim Lighting CMH Scarabs
  • Smoked Glass Cubes
  • Incandescent Traffic Signals
  • Nu•Art Street Name Signs
  • GE M-400R2 FCOs

I also enjoy watching old TV shows such as TJ Hooker, as they also tend to feature numerous examples of lighting from back in the day.
 :bulbman:

Now on Linktree

Mandolin Girl

View Posts
View Gallery

Oil Lamp Addict

Re: Light fixtures that you find nostalgic « Reply #4 on: February 03, 2022, 07:55:47 AM » Author: Mandolin Girl
A veritable river of SOX illuminated highway.  :love: :lps: :lps: :lps: :lps: :lps: :lps:

Hugs and STUFF Sammi xXx (also in Aberdeen) :love: :oil-ltn:
Published Author ;D
There are two kinds of light  -  the glow that illuminates, and the glare that obscures.
James Thurber
SMILEY ONLY ANSWERS WILL BE DELETED FROM MY POSTS

Rommie
Administrator

View Posts
View Gallery

Andromeda Ascendant

Re: Light fixtures that you find nostalgic « Reply #5 on: February 03, 2022, 08:19:13 AM » Author: Rommie
What she said   :love: :lps: :lps: :lps: :lps: :lps: :lps: :love:

Ria (aka Rommie) in Aberdeen
Administrator, UK & European time zones. Any questions or problems, please feel free to get in touch :love:

"What greater gift than the love of a cat..?" - Charles Dickens
*** No smiley-only replies, please ***

AgentHalogen_87

View Posts
View Gallery

Long Live SOX!

Re: Light fixtures that you find nostalgic « Reply #6 on: February 03, 2022, 09:29:23 AM » Author: AgentHalogen_87
There are several fittings I find nostalgic. One being this style of GLS bulkhead fitting.
Another being sox warming up in any fixture, particularly in a Thorn Beta 5.
A third being the old Mellor style of UK traffic light, especially if it has a green arrow.
Fun fact: when I was younger we would regularly go to the cinema. On our route out there was a Mellor traffic light with a 'spotty green arrow', similar to the one linked above but with the arrow on the right. This verry signal gave me my interest in lighting.
Mandolin Girl

View Posts
View Gallery

Oil Lamp Addict

Re: Light fixtures that you find nostalgic « Reply #7 on: February 03, 2022, 09:35:27 AM » Author: Mandolin Girl
The warming up of Johnny, our Beta 5 happens here every day. :soxltrn:

Sometimes we even wake up in time to see it.  :lol:
« Last Edit: February 03, 2022, 09:45:32 AM by Mandolin Girl » Logged

Published Author ;D
There are two kinds of light  -  the glow that illuminates, and the glare that obscures.
James Thurber

AgentHalogen_87

View Posts
View Gallery

Long Live SOX!

Re: Light fixtures that you find nostalgic « Reply #8 on: February 03, 2022, 09:42:03 AM » Author: AgentHalogen_87
A great sight to see, isn't it.  :sox35: :soxltrn:
I found your river by the way.
Mandolin Girl

View Posts
View Gallery

Oil Lamp Addict

Re: Light fixtures that you find nostalgic « Reply #9 on: February 03, 2022, 09:52:11 AM » Author: Mandolin Girl
The river I was thinking of is just short of London, we came round the corner to the on ramp, and there it was laid out in front of us.  :lps: :lps: :lps: :lps: :lps: :lps: :love:

Unfortunately we didn't have a camera accessible to take a picture.  :( :curse:

Published Author ;D
James Thurber

AgentHalogen_87

View Posts
View Gallery

Long Live SOX!

Re: Light fixtures that you find nostalgic « Reply #10 on: February 03, 2022, 09:57:28 AM » Author: AgentHalogen_87
Ah right. and dam that's annoying  :-\. But it must have been glorious to see in the flesh.
Rommie
Administrator

View Posts
View Gallery

Andromeda Ascendant

Re: Light fixtures that you find nostalgic « Reply #11 on: February 03, 2022, 09:58:55 AM » Author: Rommie
It was, if I recall correctly it was on the M40 leading up to the M25 :lps: :lps: :lps:

Administrator, UK & European time zones. Any questions or problems, please feel free to get in touch :love:

AngryHorse

View Posts
View Gallery

Rich, Coaster junkie!

Re: Light fixtures that you find nostalgic « Reply #12 on: February 03, 2022, 02:32:54 PM » Author: AngryHorse
Mine would have to be the good old coach lantern  :D

Current: UK 230V, 50Hz
Power provider: e.on energy
Street lighting in our town: Philips UniStreet LED (gen 1)
Longest serving LED in service at home, (hour count): Energetic mini clear globe: 54,050 hrs @ 10/2/24

Welcome to OBLIVION

Rommie
Administrator

View Posts
View Gallery

Andromeda Ascendant

Re: Light fixtures that you find nostalgic « Reply #13 on: February 03, 2022, 02:36:48 PM » Author: Rommie
Only with a proper lamp in it, surely even you wouldn't say it looks ok with one of those things  :'( :eoled:

AngryHorse

View Posts
View Gallery

Rich, Coaster junkie!

Re: Light fixtures that you find nostalgic « Reply #14 on: February 03, 2022, 02:42:49 PM » Author: AngryHorse
This has previously had a 50 watt SON-T in it!  ::)

Current: UK 230V, 50Hz
Power provider: e.on energy
Street lighting in our town: Philips UniStreet LED (gen 1)
Longest serving LED in service at home, (hour count): Energetic mini clear globe: 54,050 hrs @ 10/2/24

Welcome to OBLIVION

Print 
© 2005-2024 Lighting-Gallery.net | SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies