Author Topic: Switzerland is banning HID Lamps  (Read 8817 times)
RRK

View Posts
View Gallery
Roman

Re: Switzerland is banning HID Lamps « Reply #90 on: January 26, 2024, 06:49:32 PM » Author: RRK
Negativity or not, knowing the composition, not much useful can be recycled from spent LED lamps bodies and boards. Some aged plastic of unknown composition is worthless, as is PC board. May be a little bit of copper and tin - but not much, hard to separate, and I bet generally much more expensive than just to smelt new from the ore.

Recycling something larger like white goods *may* be viable as some iron and copper can be taken, but not worth for typical LED lamps. These are not problematic to just landfill, though. Separate collection was encouraged (with varying efficiency) for mercury containing lamps, but the reason was mostly to avoid mercury going directly to environment. 

« Last Edit: January 26, 2024, 07:01:31 PM by RRK » Logged
wide-lite 1000

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Switzerland is banning HID Lamps « Reply #91 on: January 27, 2024, 06:05:34 PM » Author: wide-lite 1000
 My recycle bin gets my paper , glass and most plastics (some plastics they don't want) Mine specifically say not to put lightbulbs window glass or glass dishes in the bin ! Everything else goes in the "normal" trash . My grocery store does have a collection bin for plastic grocery bags and I think Home Depot still has recycle bins for CFLs and batteries . They will not take "standard" fluorescents or HID lamps .
« Last Edit: February 02, 2024, 12:02:45 PM by wide-lite 1000 » Logged

Collector,Hoarder,Pack-rat! Clear mercury Rules!!

Mandolin Girl

View Posts
View Gallery

Oil Lamp Addict

Re: Switzerland is banning HID Lamps « Reply #92 on: January 28, 2024, 12:37:20 PM » Author: Mandolin Girl
The problem here is that the Council controls the landfill site, so they don't do everything that they can to help you recycle.  >:(

Hugs and STUFF Sammi xXx (also in Aberdeen) :love: :oil-ltn:
Published Author ;D
There are two kinds of light  -  the glow that illuminates, and the glare that obscures.
James Thurber
SMILEY ONLY ANSWERS WILL BE DELETED FROM MY POSTS

Michael

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Switzerland is banning HID Lamps « Reply #93 on: February 02, 2024, 12:17:47 AM » Author: Michael
Landfilling is a thing of the past here in Switzerland. Since the 1970s all waste disposal site have been closed and sealed. New incineration plants took over the waste management since then and pretty much all landfill sites are currently to be emptied and re- cultivated.

Since the 1990s Switzerland is one of the leader countries for recycling waste. It is mandatory to dispose trash in a controlled manner. Like glass, paper, carton and PET. Electronic waste including batteries, HID and other discharge lamps must be collected and recycled. Every new lamp or electronic appliance is charged with a recycling fee which is included in the purchase price. All grocery shop chains here are taking back electronic waste and lamps.
Rommie
Administrator

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Switzerland is banning HID Lamps « Reply #94 on: February 02, 2024, 07:35:28 AM » Author: Rommie
It'll be a while if ever before that happens here. There's been a massive backlash against incinerators here from residents in a lot of areas, the usual 'NIMBY' response, like those that don't want mobile phone masts, electricity pylons or windfarms. How are they going to make mobile phone calls, or get their electricity..?  ::)

Ria (aka Rommie) in Aberdeen
Administrator, UK & European time zones. Any questions or problems, please feel free to get in touch :love:

"What greater gift than the love of a cat..?" - Charles Dickens
*** No smiley-only replies, please ***

Michael

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Switzerland is banning HID Lamps « Reply #95 on: February 02, 2024, 08:48:06 AM » Author: Michael
As long as they get their electricity out of their wall sockets… who cares….  :-\
Mandolin Girl

View Posts
View Gallery

Oil Lamp Addict

Re: Switzerland is banning HID Lamps « Reply #96 on: February 02, 2024, 09:55:59 AM » Author: Mandolin Girl
They would care if the National Grid said to them, 'Fine you don't want pylons, then obviously you don't want to have an electricity supply.' CLICK
Leave them to stew for a few hours and they'll change their tune.
And before anybody says that's holding them to ransom over the issue, it's just showing them the reality of the situation,
because if the grid isn't overhauled, everybody is going to end up being in the darkness when it falls over, and it will, especially with the spike in EV ownership.  :poof:

Hugs and STUFF Sammi xXx (also in Aberdeen) :love: :oil-ltn:
Published Author ;D
There are two kinds of light  -  the glow that illuminates, and the glare that obscures.
James Thurber
SMILEY ONLY ANSWERS WILL BE DELETED FROM MY POSTS

wide-lite 1000

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Switzerland is banning HID Lamps « Reply #97 on: February 02, 2024, 12:20:27 PM » Author: wide-lite 1000
 Both of the nearby incinerators , one of which was the infamous trash burning power plant , were shut down and demolished years ago due to high cost overruns and the amount of highly toxic emissions coming from the stacks !  A golf course that was build on top of the old City Landfill was also permenantly close due to methane gas leaching up thru the soil ! 

RRK

View Posts
View Gallery
Roman

Re: Switzerland is banning HID Lamps « Reply #98 on: February 02, 2024, 09:58:30 PM » Author: RRK
Well, Switzerland may force their residents to collect spent LED lamps separately, but the question still remains, what to do with them next. They are heavily optimized for lowest cost possible, not for recyclability. Everything is glued, you can sure shred them, but this will mix the materials with a mass of useless plastic, increasing the cost and energy requirements for separation. It is probably possible to extract a tiny amount of copper, but at great expense. May be a little bit of metal from the base, but this is iron or aluminium, pretty low value. Compared to computer waste, there is practically no gold or silver. In the end the cost of recycling may end up larger than the new lamp price, which is crazy. Dont't tell me the lamps are going to Africa or India actually :)
AngryHorse

View Posts
View Gallery

Rich, Coaster junkie!

Re: Switzerland is banning HID Lamps « Reply #99 on: February 03, 2024, 08:14:32 AM » Author: AngryHorse
They would care if the National Grid said to them, 'Fine you don't want pylons, then obviously you don't want to have an electricity supply.' CLICK
Leave them to stew for a few hours and they'll change their tune.
And before anybody says that's holding them to ransom over the issue, it's just showing them the reality of the situation,
because if the grid isn't overhauled, everybody is going to end up being in the darkness when it falls over, and it will, especially with the spike in EV ownership.  :poof:
Luckily the ‘backside’ has fallen out of the EV industry, nobody wants them now, their too dear to insure, their plagued by fires starting randomly, their batteries are more than the cars are worth, and so I’m told, customers are bringing them back to dealers as their so heavy, tyres and suspension parts are waring out fast!
I don’t think the grid is in any immediate danger from mass EV ownership for a few years yet?

Current: UK 230V, 50Hz
Power provider: e.on energy
Street lighting in our town: Philips UniStreet LED (gen 1)
Longest serving LED in service at home, (hour count): Energetic mini clear globe: 54,050 hrs @ 10/2/24

Welcome to OBLIVION

RRK

View Posts
View Gallery
Roman

Re: Switzerland is banning HID Lamps « Reply #100 on: February 03, 2024, 09:05:30 AM » Author: RRK
I heard there is brand of EV that is advertised with UPS capability. That way, the charger circuitry is reversible and can generate back AC voltage from car battery in emergency! Or for a camping.
« Last Edit: February 03, 2024, 09:15:53 AM by RRK » Logged
wide-lite 1000

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Switzerland is banning HID Lamps « Reply #101 on: February 03, 2024, 09:11:32 AM » Author: wide-lite 1000
 Ford advertises that feature with it's Lightning electric pickup truck .

Michael

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Switzerland is banning HID Lamps « Reply #102 on: February 03, 2024, 09:48:41 AM » Author: Michael
Well, Switzerland may force their residents to collect spent LED lamps separately, but the question still remains, what to do with them next. They are heavily optimized for lowest cost possible, not for recyclability. Everything is glued, you can sure shred them, but this will mix the materials with a mass of useless plastic, increasing the cost and energy requirements for separation. It is probably possible to extract a tiny amount of copper, but at great expense. May be a little bit of metal from the base, but this is iron or aluminium, pretty low value. Compared to computer waste, there is practically no gold or silver. In the end the cost of recycling may end up larger than the new lamp price, which is crazy. Dont't tell me the lamps are going to Africa or India actually :)

Well nobody can tell to where the electronic scrap is going to. Though there are a couple shredding plants throughout Europe but it is quite possible that our stuff is shipped to China or other poor countries.
Richmond2000

View Posts
View Gallery

120V 60HZ

Re: Switzerland is banning HID Lamps « Reply #103 on: February 05, 2024, 12:44:29 AM » Author: Richmond2000
Ford advertises that feature with it's Lightning electric pickup truck .
we have one of them lightnings at work and the sparky wired in a "grizzl-E" brand EVSE to a 50A circuit and ford finally delivered the charger it is supposed to have ( a year later) and it is popping an 80A breaker in our panel
and the sparky is having to replace it with 100A
my house has 200A service and 100of that is for my BOILER leaving the other 100A for everything else - the ioniq charges on 30A power like tesla model 3
the ioniq 5 has a car to load capability and most if not all "Chademo" based cars are equipped with car to load as it is part of the standard they are built to

Print 
© 2005-2024 Lighting-Gallery.net | SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies