Author Topic: Where to buy an FML27 Ballast?  (Read 4893 times)
LampLover

View Posts
View Gallery
120/240VAC @ 60HZ

GoL PeterYachymczyk UCYBAif_ag4v8nIcCU3VAmag
Where to buy an FML27 Ballast? « on: April 23, 2012, 07:36:02 PM » Author: LampLover
I have one of those infamous Daylight lamps and the ballast failed, I first thought the lamp died, but I tried a new $$costly$$ lamp and it still does not light I checked the socket + cord and all is good except the ballast

Is there a standard size for these or are they made specialty to fit the small arm of the fixture?
The lamp says FML/27/865

LED Free Zone!
All For HID, magnetic rapid-start Preheat & old-school electronic Only (no instant start F17T8 & F32T8 allowed)

arcblue

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Where to buy an FML27 Ballast? « Reply #1 on: April 26, 2012, 03:59:33 PM » Author: arcblue
There isn't a replacement, to my knowledge. You may be able to extract the ballast, find some replacement capacitors of the same (or higher voltage) ratings, and replace the capacitors to revive the existing ballast. It's usually not worth the trouble.

The "ballasts" are usually just a simple unencased circuit board. You could also try removing a "ballast" from a Lights of America 27w wall or flood light, a 27w LOA CFL (if you can still find one), or even their 30w circline adapter (I have run one of my FML27's from a LOA 30w electronic ballast with no problems - and the plug fits the lamp base perfectly).

A remote magnetic ballast would be a nice upgrade, but I'm not sure of the proper current for a 27w CFL - it might be about the same as a 28w PL-C. A 22w preheat circline ballast will light the lamp, but I'm sure it underdrives it.

I'm lampin...

Luminaire

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Where to buy an FML27 Ballast? « Reply #2 on: April 26, 2012, 10:12:45 PM » Author: Luminaire
FML27 sounds like a Japanese spec lamps.  Lights of America is known to sell products that use them.  Their 30W Circline is one of them.  They use 30W 600mA Japanese spec Circline that we can't buy here. 
toomanybulbs

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Where to buy an FML27 Ballast? « Reply #3 on: April 27, 2012, 08:20:25 PM » Author: toomanybulbs
the panasonic version with 2g11 base is 600ma.
WorldwideHIDCollectorUSA

View Posts
View Gallery

HID, LPS, and preheat fluorescents forever!!!!!!

Worldwide HIDCollectorUSA
Re: Where to buy an FML27 Ballast? « Reply #4 on: July 07, 2022, 12:11:38 PM » Author: WorldwideHIDCollectorUSA
A pair of F15T8 preheat fluorescent tube choke ballasts connected in parallel will run FML27 CFL lamps at full power.

Desire to collect various light bulbs (especially HID), control gear, and fixtures from around the world.

DISCLAIMER: THE EXPERIMENTS THAT I CONDUCT INVOLVING UNUSUAL LAMP/BALLAST COMBINATIONS SHOULD NOT BE ATTEMPTED UNLESS YOU HAVE THE PROPER KNOWLEDGE. I AM NOT RESPONSIBLE FOR ANY INJURIES.

funkybulb

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Where to buy an FML27 Ballast? « Reply #5 on: July 07, 2022, 10:50:41 PM » Author: funkybulb
A pair 15 watt chokes with 360 mA current is a bit high

I would recomend a pair crappy GE chokes that Home depot once sold before gone off the shelf those would of been perfect as choke
 Is 320 mA and be about with in
Spec of the lamp if it combined with two chokes

Or u can take a 25 watt preheat ballast but that only
 430 mA

No LED gadgets, spins too slowly.  Gotta  love preheat and MV. let the lights keep my meter spinning.

joseph_125

View Posts
View Gallery

GoL
Re: Where to buy an FML27 Ballast? « Reply #6 on: July 07, 2022, 10:57:35 PM » Author: joseph_125
I believe the Fullham WH22 and WH33 are listed to run those. I believe Robertson also made a good solution too, it was a 2xF15 preheat ballast but it was just two chokes in the same case so if you connect the outputs in parallel, you'll have a magnetic solution that is only s single ballast.
bulb_tester2009

View Posts
View Gallery

Resolutely crack down on inferior LED lighting!!

GoL
Re: Where to buy an FML27 Ballast? « Reply #7 on: July 07, 2022, 11:06:57 PM » Author: bulb_tester2009
You must use the FCL30 ballast made in Japan or the European standard circular tube 32W ballast :choke:.

I've been collecting light bulbs since I was 2 years old and I've been collecting them ever since.
 :hps::hps::hps:
由于我来自中国,所以英语不精通,大部分内容都是翻译的,所以可能不通顺,请大家谅解
Note:
Bulb base in China:E12(CES) E14(SES) B22d(BC) E27(ES) E40(GES)

WorldwideHIDCollectorUSA

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Where to buy an FML27 Ballast? « Reply #8 on: July 07, 2022, 11:21:36 PM » Author: WorldwideHIDCollectorUSA
A pair 15 watt chokes with 360 mA current is a bit high

I would recomend a pair crappy GE chokes that Home depot once sold before gone off the shelf those would of been perfect as choke
 Is 320 mA and be about with in
Spec of the lamp if it combined with two chokes

Or u can take a 25 watt preheat ballast but that only
 430 mA

@funkybulb, A F15T8 fluorescent tube actually runs at 57v 0.30a. Since a FML27 lamp runs at 55v 0.61a, a pair of dedicated F15T8 preheat fluorescent tube choke ballasts will run a FML27 at full power. Alternatively, a pair of 13w GX23 PL-S/PL-C preheat CFL choke ballasts in parallel will also run a FML27 at full power too.
« Last Edit: July 08, 2022, 12:34:41 AM by WorldwideHIDCollectorUSA » Logged

Desire to collect various light bulbs (especially HID), control gear, and fixtures from around the world.

DISCLAIMER: THE EXPERIMENTS THAT I CONDUCT INVOLVING UNUSUAL LAMP/BALLAST COMBINATIONS SHOULD NOT BE ATTEMPTED UNLESS YOU HAVE THE PROPER KNOWLEDGE. I AM NOT RESPONSIBLE FOR ANY INJURIES.

WorldwideHIDCollectorUSA

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Where to buy an FML27 Ballast? « Reply #9 on: July 08, 2022, 12:33:39 AM » Author: WorldwideHIDCollectorUSA
You must use the FCL30 ballast made in Japan or the European standard circular tube 32W ballast :choke:.

@bulb_tester2009, a Japanese FCL30 ballast will be able to properly run a FML27 CFL lamp at full power, but however, a FML27 CFL lamp will overheat a 32w circline ballast because FML27 CFL lamps run at 55v 0.61a and all 32w circline lamps in the world run at 80v 0.43a and the lower arc voltage drop from the FML27 CFL lamp will cause the 32w circline ballast to draw more current than it is designed to handle and that will cause the ballast’s insulation to break down and cause the coils to short out with the core.

Tourist From Universe

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Where to buy an FML27 Ballast? « Reply #10 on: July 25, 2022, 10:45:13 AM » Author: Tourist From Universe
In China, fml27 is often used in desk lamps. They often use warm-start electronic ballast to run, but low-power operation, the actual power is only 18watt, and the service life will be longer.

我来自中国,我不精通英语,使用谷歌翻译,如果有任何错误,请纠正它们,谢谢

Print 
© 2005-2024 Lighting-Gallery.net | SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies