Author Topic: What do you do with rare lamps which lost all vacuum  (Read 2121 times)
veryhighonoutput

View Posts
View Gallery

T12

What do you do with rare lamps which lost all vacuum « on: July 16, 2016, 06:04:28 PM » Author: veryhighonoutput
Like f48 pgs and f90t17's when there junk??? I hate to destroy or recycle but I have no room ether!

T12/ t17 there's a reason they made heavy magnetic ballasts

wattMaster

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: What do you do with rare lamps which lost all vacuum « Reply #1 on: July 16, 2016, 09:33:45 PM » Author: wattMaster
I don't have any, but I would reuse them as a sleeve for other tubes, or maybe for testing germicidal lamps, or put a working lamp lit in them to light it up.

SLS! (Stop LED Streetlights!)

Medved

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: What do you do with rare lamps which lost all vacuum « Reply #2 on: July 17, 2016, 12:44:30 AM » Author: Medved
I don't have any, but I would reuse them as a sleeve for other tubes, or maybe for testing germicidal lamps, or put a working lamp lit in them to light it up.

Well, if you manage to cut out the ends without breaking the tube...
Plus in any way the thin glass tube will be extremely fragile...

No more selfballasted c***

Ash

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: What do you do with rare lamps which lost all vacuum « Reply #3 on: July 17, 2016, 01:25:33 AM » Author: Ash
And if you manage to not scratch off the Phosphor when using it as a sleeve..

How about backlighting the tube with a T5 or some CCFLs
sol

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: What do you do with rare lamps which lost all vacuum « Reply #4 on: July 17, 2016, 06:19:56 AM » Author: sol
Assuming you have enough, you could build a fixture like this or like this.
Solanaceae

View Posts
View Gallery

All photos are brought to you by Bubby industries.

GoL Solanaceae.Keif.Fitz Keif Fitz bubby_keif
Re: What do you do with rare lamps which lost all vacuum « Reply #5 on: July 17, 2016, 11:09:59 AM » Author: Solanaceae
"Fluorescent lamps are synonymous with the most depressing aspects of modern life: their soulless flickering presides over vast aisles of big box stores, server farms , fields of cubicles, or server farms." ha! Classic! You're good!
My version: LED lamps are are synonymous with the most depressing aspects of modern life: their soulless flicker presides over every single use, causing migranes and casting an unappealing off white hue. 

Me💡Irl
My LG Gallery
My GoL Gallery

wattMaster

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: What do you do with rare lamps which lost all vacuum « Reply #6 on: July 17, 2016, 12:26:58 PM » Author: wattMaster
"Fluorescent lamps are synonymous with the most depressing aspects of modern life: their soulless flickering presides over vast aisles of big box stores, server farms , fields of cubicles, or server farms." ha! Classic! You're good!
My version: LED lamps are are synonymous with the most depressing aspects of modern life: their soulless flicker presides over every single use, causing migranes and casting an unappealing off white hue. 
My version: HPS lamps are synonymous with ugly, strobing orange light that fills streets with a horrid glow.

Medved

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: What do you do with rare lamps which lost all vacuum « Reply #7 on: July 18, 2016, 01:20:19 PM » Author: Medved
Well, "the most depressing aspects of modern life" could be any form of lighting, if you do the fixture design in a careless way. And the main part of the "fixture design" is the proper selection of the fixture concept.
The same tube could be a soul-less light, as well as a center piece of an artistic creation. It only depends on in how and where it is used.

No more selfballasted c***

Ash

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: What do you do with rare lamps which lost all vacuum « Reply #8 on: July 18, 2016, 04:40:48 PM » Author: Ash
I dont think it is related much to the lighting at all, but to anything else that is performed under the same lighting. For one who works too many hours in a cubicle any type of lighting thats used in his cubicle will be associated with depression... And the /640 Fluorescents were just there to get the bad name
veryhighonoutput

View Posts
View Gallery

T12

Re: What do you do with rare lamps which lost all vacuum « Reply #9 on: July 18, 2016, 04:46:20 PM » Author: veryhighonoutput
I was thinking of making a ultimate egg holder with the power grooves just hot glue it on a board and whala! Egg holder you could even color them for easter in each individual groove wow! Or Dimond cut one end off and stuff Christmas lights down in. Or donate to a museum or something. So many possibilities .

T12/ t17 there's a reason they made heavy magnetic ballasts

wattMaster

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: What do you do with rare lamps which lost all vacuum « Reply #10 on: July 18, 2016, 04:46:39 PM » Author: wattMaster
I dont think it is related much to the lighting at all, but to anything else that is performed under the same lighting. For one who works too many hours in a cubicle any type of lighting thats used in his cubicle will be associated with depression... And the /640 Fluorescents were just there to get the bad name
And you wonder why 8000K fluorescents don't get the bad press, while the standard cool white ones do. :-\

Ash

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: What do you do with rare lamps which lost all vacuum « Reply #11 on: July 18, 2016, 05:01:18 PM » Author: Ash
The standard CW ones are what was installed in cubicles at the time when it was "Incandescent at home vs Fluorescent at work", so when all that bad press was forming up first time. Like in the 60s/70s
wattMaster

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: What do you do with rare lamps which lost all vacuum « Reply #12 on: July 18, 2016, 05:07:51 PM » Author: wattMaster
The standard CW ones are what was installed in cubicles at the time when it was "Incandescent at home vs Fluorescent at work", so when all that bad press was forming up first time. Like in the 60s/70s
Then the health nuts came, with silly claims about Cool White...
« Last Edit: July 18, 2016, 05:10:34 PM by wattMaster » Logged

Ash

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: What do you do with rare lamps which lost all vacuum « Reply #13 on: July 18, 2016, 05:50:03 PM » Author: Ash
And claims that appear plausible. After all. CRI 60 is not CRI 70/80/90, i is indeed visible that the light qulity of those tubes is not too high. Little do they (or the ones they try to convince) know that CRI or light quality is not directly related to health effects, it is the spectral content that is.. Fun thing is that old warm color tubes have CRI in the 50s, their light is indeed very poor, yet there were way less claims in regards to them being depressing or anything
wattMaster

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: What do you do with rare lamps which lost all vacuum « Reply #14 on: July 18, 2016, 06:03:20 PM » Author: wattMaster
And claims that appear plausible. After all. CRI 60 is not CRI 70/80/90, i is indeed visible that the light qulity of those tubes is not too high. Little do they (or the ones they try to convince) know that CRI or light quality is not directly related to health effects, it is the spectral content that is.. Fun thing is that old warm color tubes have CRI in the 50s, their light is indeed very poor, yet there were way less claims in regards to them being depressing or anything
Maybe it's the correlation with gloomy offices.
I actually like old-school WW, it has a nice, "feel" to it, and makes colors look funny.

Print 
© 2005-2024 Lighting-Gallery.net | SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies