Author Topic: I broke my 3500K Mazda lamp  (Read 3304 times)
Powell

View Posts
View Gallery

I broke my 3500K Mazda lamp « on: January 28, 2012, 08:26:00 PM » Author: Powell
 :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'(
I HAD put away almost all of my older lamps except this one which was still in the fixture with the SP-35, and my ham 2 meter /440 megahertz hand held fell onto it and it broke, The SP-35 didn't. It broke close to one end and this glass didn't break up into a lot of pieces. ANd this lamp has little metal rods parallel to the cathodes as rudimentary cathode guards, but this did not really help in end blackening in these. Short cathode stem.  I am so bummed.

I was very careful in disposing of the glass and have been running the vent fan in the kitchen. 

Powell

NNNN!

funkybulb

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: I broke my 3500K Mazda lamp « Reply #1 on: January 28, 2012, 11:51:25 PM » Author: funkybulb
what a sad day powel for that :a_fluor: must of been pretty old GE mazda lamp

No LED gadgets, spins too slowly.  Gotta  love preheat and MV. let the lights keep my meter spinning.

Silverliner
Administrator

View Posts
View Gallery

Rare white reflector

GoL
Re: I broke my 3500K Mazda lamp « Reply #2 on: January 29, 2012, 01:22:05 AM » Author: Silverliner
Sucks to hear it broke. But watch out for the beryllium!!!

Administrator of Lighting-Gallery.net. Need help? PM me.

Member of L-G since 2005.

Collector of vintage bulbs, street lights and fluorescent fixtures.

Electrician.

Also a fan of cars, travelling, working out, food, hanging out.

Power company: Southern California Edison.

RyanF40T12

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: I broke my 3500K Mazda lamp « Reply #3 on: January 29, 2012, 02:30:25 PM » Author: RyanF40T12
73s :(

The more you hate the LED movement, the stronger it becomes.

Powell

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: I broke my 3500K Mazda lamp « Reply #4 on: January 29, 2012, 03:51:28 PM » Author: Powell
Lucky it did not break into thousands of pieces and I was very careful in disposing of the pieces. I did not get to take a picture of it with the 1950's black ender 20 watt WHITE Sylvania which I have moved where IT can't break ! ! !

NNNN!

slipperypete

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: I broke my 3500K Mazda lamp « Reply #5 on: February 03, 2012, 01:45:41 AM » Author: slipperypete
I hate breaking lamps!  Sorry about your loss.

Bulb bans = Fascism

vintagefluorescent

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: I broke my 3500K Mazda lamp « Reply #6 on: February 04, 2012, 09:48:08 PM » Author: vintagefluorescent
I share youre loss, The same thing happened to a 20 watt mazda fluorescent bulb I had , No problem, I took it to my neon guy , He cleaned up the break & fused it back together ,Its now a 14 watt :D  I`m now the owner of the brightest 14 watt vintage fluorescent bulb I have ever seen :D

Note - If the bulb is not busted up to bad , Save it & have it refused like I did , If its a total loss then I HIGHLY recommend you keep those brass end caps you might need them in the future either to repair a bulb or for display purposes , I`m not kidding !!!

:'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'(
I HAD put away almost all of my older lamps except this one which was still in the fixture with the SP-35, and my ham 2 meter /440 megahertz hand held fell onto it and it broke, The SP-35 didn't. It broke close to one end and this glass didn't break up into a lot of pieces. ANd this lamp has little metal rods parallel to the cathodes as rudimentary cathode guards, but this did not really help in end blackening in these. Short cathode stem.  I am so bummed.

I was very careful in disposing of the glass and have been running the vent fan in the kitchen.  

Powell
« Last Edit: February 04, 2012, 09:57:08 PM by vintagefluorescent » Logged
slipperypete

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: I broke my 3500K Mazda lamp « Reply #7 on: February 10, 2012, 12:34:19 AM » Author: slipperypete
At least you didn't get hurt
 :o

Bulb bans = Fascism

Powell

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: I broke my 3500K Mazda lamp « Reply #8 on: February 10, 2012, 01:46:30 PM » Author: Powell
No but the words I used were....ah.... well ..... you know....... :P

NNNN!

MikeT1982

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: I broke my 3500K Mazda lamp « Reply #9 on: February 29, 2012, 04:22:32 AM » Author: MikeT1982
Hi Powell.  I just read your post and figured I would share my  happenings with you to hopefully make you feel better!  When moving last March (and bringing my 18yr old HPS wall pack along and all excited to wire it up) I was showing it to a friend and explaining its sentimentary value to me and how I bought it with my father when I was 12 because I could not afford a Phillips Mini-SOX wall pack, dad had t up for 13 years, then gave to me with the move, etc etc. and this got me excited as to dig out my most prized bulb, a simple 1950's GE Neon Glow Lamp, you know the big ones that look about the size of an a clear appliance bulb, I loved it, I searched for decades for one and it worked beautifully. Well as I was unwrapping out of rs special box I made it in tissue paper and bubble wrap it I started walking and tripped sending it flying out of my hands and smashed on the ceramic tile floor into millions of pieces :-(. Talk about depressing, I was in the middle of a move and it was all packed away safe, but I had gotten excited when my dad surprised me by uninstalling and bringing over to my house my HPS wallpack, that I took a break from the monotony and started talking vintage lighting to my buddy helping me with the move and wanted to show him my prized neon glow lamp and this happened :-(. So I feel your pain brother!
« Last Edit: February 29, 2012, 04:27:06 AM by MikeT1982 » Logged
toomanybulbs

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: I broke my 3500K Mazda lamp « Reply #10 on: February 29, 2012, 09:11:05 AM » Author: toomanybulbs
my rare stuff is in sleeves and then in a padded box.
not for the hazmat aspect but to minimise the chance of killing something that has survived to twice my age or more and is still working.
these relativly young bulbs i post are nothing.
i need to post a pic of one of my audions sometime.
Powell

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: I broke my 3500K Mazda lamp « Reply #11 on: February 29, 2012, 01:39:19 PM » Author: Powell
I know what an audion is and NO, I don't have anything that uses them. I am not THAT old....... ;D ;D

NNNN!

Print 
© 2005-2024 Lighting-Gallery.net | SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies