Author Topic: Why do eBay listings in “Web Finds” disproportionately feature US lamps?  (Read 7415 times)
Lightingguy1994
Administrator

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Why do eBay listings in “Web Finds” disproportionately feature US lamps? « Reply #30 on: November 18, 2020, 11:41:06 AM » Author: Lightingguy1994
....If anything posts on the board have led to inflated prices when a lot more people see the offering and put in bids.  >:(

Yes this has been one of the reasons LG didn't allow ebay links in the past.

Administrator #5

Andy

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Why do eBay listings in “Web Finds” disproportionately feature US lamps? « Reply #31 on: November 18, 2020, 02:51:26 PM » Author: Andy
I agree that it is an improvement that members must be logged in to see the Web Finds section.
I firmly believe that the posting of such things for anybody to see has led to inflated prices - especially on eBay.co.uk. I couldn't comment on eBay.com as I rarely look there.
What took me quite a while to realise and what many people perhaps haven't considered is that there are more lighting enthusiasts and collectors that do not participate in forums such as Lighting Gallery etc than there are that do.
This is one of the many reasons why interesting lamps seen on eBay never get seen again.

I'd like to see more in the way of members doing trades. I've done lots of good trades with good people on LG and hope to be able to continue to do more in the future!

I'm always interested in exchanging lamps with others. Send me a message if you would be interested in a trade. :)

Mandolin Girl

View Posts
View Gallery

Oil Lamp Addict

Re: Why do eBay listings in “Web Finds” disproportionately feature US lamps? « Reply #32 on: November 18, 2020, 05:32:46 PM » Author: Mandolin Girl
I'd like to see more in the way of members doing trades. I've done lots of good trades with good people on LG and hope to be able to continue to do more in the future!
That's what we did with you, and we're very happy with the result, we must really post a picture of that BC capped tube.  :a_fluor:
I couldn't find the little picture of the BC capped tube...  :'(

Hugs and STUFF Sammi xXx (also in Aberdeen) :love: :oil-ltn:
Published Author ;D
There are two kinds of light  -  the glow that illuminates, and the glare that obscures.
James Thurber
SMILEY ONLY ANSWERS WILL BE DELETED FROM MY POSTS

Mandolin Girl

View Posts
View Gallery

Oil Lamp Addict

Re: Why do eBay listings in “Web Finds” disproportionately feature US lamps? « Reply #33 on: November 20, 2020, 11:13:16 AM » Author: Mandolin Girl
I've posted on a couple of threads now that the listing has ended, it would be a great help to Anthony if other members could do the same thing.  :wndr:

Published Author ;D
There are two kinds of light  -  the glow that illuminates, and the glare that obscures.
James Thurber

WorldwideHIDCollectorUSA

View Posts
View Gallery

HID, LPS, and preheat fluorescents forever!!!!!!

Worldwide HIDCollectorUSA
Re: Why do eBay listings in “Web Finds” disproportionately feature US lamps? « Reply #34 on: November 20, 2020, 06:42:59 PM » Author: WorldwideHIDCollectorUSA
If some listings are ended and the same item gets relisted, we should have someone relist those items.

Desire to collect various light bulbs (especially HID), control gear, and fixtures from around the world.

DISCLAIMER: THE EXPERIMENTS THAT I CONDUCT INVOLVING UNUSUAL LAMP/BALLAST COMBINATIONS SHOULD NOT BE ATTEMPTED UNLESS YOU HAVE THE PROPER KNOWLEDGE. I AM NOT RESPONSIBLE FOR ANY INJURIES.

Lightingguy1994
Administrator

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Why do eBay listings in “Web Finds” disproportionately feature US lamps? « Reply #35 on: November 20, 2020, 07:02:49 PM » Author: Lightingguy1994
If some listings are ended and the same item gets relisted, we should have someone relist those items.

Not possible. Ebay listings for bidding always expire after 5-6 days and get relisted with a new link when they don't get bids. I'm not going to go around each day to update the bid links. I've have to search all 15 pages of posts just to weed out the bid links from the buy it now links which don't expire as often unless sold. Sometimes I'll update the links if I'm already doing a purge on the webfinds.

I'll do my best to explore the options of setting time limit on posts in the webfinds so they can auto delete themselves after 30-60 days from time posted. Sites like ebay or craigslist don't keep links/ads forever, why should we? Really we just need to patch in the code to make auto deleting happen.
« Last Edit: November 20, 2020, 07:04:40 PM by Lightingguy1994 » Logged

Administrator #5

WorldwideHIDCollectorUSA

View Posts
View Gallery

HID, LPS, and preheat fluorescents forever!!!!!!

Worldwide HIDCollectorUSA
Re: Why do eBay listings in “Web Finds” disproportionately feature US lamps? « Reply #36 on: November 20, 2020, 07:12:07 PM » Author: WorldwideHIDCollectorUSA
Will these links still get purged even if the item does get relisted?

Desire to collect various light bulbs (especially HID), control gear, and fixtures from around the world.

DISCLAIMER: THE EXPERIMENTS THAT I CONDUCT INVOLVING UNUSUAL LAMP/BALLAST COMBINATIONS SHOULD NOT BE ATTEMPTED UNLESS YOU HAVE THE PROPER KNOWLEDGE. I AM NOT RESPONSIBLE FOR ANY INJURIES.

Lightingguy1994
Administrator

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Why do eBay listings in “Web Finds” disproportionately feature US lamps? « Reply #37 on: November 20, 2020, 07:17:36 PM » Author: Lightingguy1994
Right now, when I do clean up the board, I'll replace the link if I see its relisted, but it's only going to last a few days which makes it kind of redundant.

What I'd like to see someday is have the board set up where each post only lasts 30 or 60 days.. in which case all the posts delete, active or not when their time comes due... And if there is any info the poster wishes to keep from the thread then they would need to move it to another board that doesn't self clean itself.

Administrator #5

wide-lite 1000

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Why do eBay listings in “Web Finds” disproportionately feature US lamps? « Reply #38 on: November 20, 2020, 11:58:34 PM » Author: wide-lite 1000
Make sense to me ! Do it like the newspaper classified adds , it runs for "X" number of weeks/days , then expires if the original lister doesn't renew it. Besides, it shouldn't have to be an Administrator's job to have to clean up after us ! How hard is it to occasionally check adds you posted and remove or update them ? I do !!

Collector,Hoarder,Pack-rat! Clear mercury Rules!!

Mandolin Girl

View Posts
View Gallery

Oil Lamp Addict

Re: Why do eBay listings in “Web Finds” disproportionately feature US lamps? « Reply #39 on: November 21, 2020, 06:23:47 AM » Author: Mandolin Girl
Would it be possible to make the threads so that only the OP can post on them with an update, rather than having discussions on the item. :wndr:
This could quite as easily be done on another board.  :wndr:

Published Author ;D
James Thurber

Rommie
Administrator

View Posts
View Gallery

Andromeda Ascendant

Re: Why do eBay listings in “Web Finds” disproportionately feature US lamps? « Reply #40 on: November 21, 2020, 06:40:53 AM » Author: Rommie
Would it be possible to make the threads so that only the OP can post on them with an update, rather than having discussions on the item. :wndr:
This could quite as easily be done on another board.
  :wndr:
There are options to set various permissions, but it's not something we as admins can modify too much, Patrick would have to look into what's possible there.

Ria (aka Rommie) in Aberdeen
Administrator, UK & European time zones. Any questions or problems, please feel free to get in touch :love:

"What greater gift than the love of a cat..?" - Charles Dickens
*** No smiley-only replies, please ***

funkybulb

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Why do eBay listings in “Web Finds” disproportionately feature US lamps? « Reply #41 on: November 25, 2020, 05:22:36 AM » Author: funkybulb
  One thing should not be posted is Auction style ebay listing
  That can cause crazy bidding wars,  And if i wanted somthing
    Dont advertise it u may be only bider and win the auction at
   Good price.   

Good example of this is the inside frost Mercury lamp from the UK

No LED gadgets, spins too slowly.  Gotta  love preheat and MV. let the lights keep my meter spinning.

Mandolin Girl

View Posts
View Gallery

Oil Lamp Addict

Re: Why do eBay listings in “Web Finds” disproportionately feature US lamps? « Reply #42 on: November 25, 2020, 07:54:25 AM » Author: Mandolin Girl
  One thing should not be posted is Auction style ebay listing
  That can cause crazy bidding wars,  And if i wanted somthing
    Dont advertise it u may be only bider and win the auction at
   Good price.   

Good example of this is the inside frost Mercury lamp from the UK

Very good suggestion, we much prefer seeing a buy it now option rather than having to wait days to see if you're the winning bidder, and usually end up losing out.  :curse:

Published Author ;D
James Thurber

Lightingguy1994
Administrator

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Why do eBay listings in “Web Finds” disproportionately feature US lamps? « Reply #43 on: November 25, 2020, 10:55:58 AM » Author: Lightingguy1994
I never bid on ebay stuff, theres usually that bunch who will dog pile bids at the last second. As for buy it now I don't share them on here unless I don't plan to buy or I already have and theres quantity left.

Administrator #5

Rommie
Administrator

View Posts
View Gallery

Andromeda Ascendant

Re: Why do eBay listings in “Web Finds” disproportionately feature US lamps? « Reply #44 on: November 25, 2020, 11:03:44 AM » Author: Rommie
I never bid on ebay stuff, theres usually that bunch who will dog pile bids at the last second. As for buy it now I don't share them on here unless I don't plan to buy or I already have and theres quantity left.
Bidding in the last few seconds is common practice and isn't unethical. As long as the amount you yourself bid is the maximum you are willing to pay, then there isn't a problem. If you win the auction, fine. If not, then the item sold for more than you'd have been willing to pay, simple. I often do this and some I've won, some I've lost. No point in griping over losing an item that sold for more than you were prepared to pay.

As far as the web finds board is concerned, my personal feeling is that listings should only be posted there if (a) it's buy it now (no auctions), (b) you've already bought one of several lamps or whatever available and you want to share your good fortune. Listing auctions provokes bidding wars, which benefits no-one (except perhaps the seller..!) or (c) in response to a "wanted" request.

Ria (aka Rommie) in Aberdeen
Administrator, UK & European time zones. Any questions or problems, please feel free to get in touch :love:

"What greater gift than the love of a cat..?" - Charles Dickens
*** No smiley-only replies, please ***

Print 
© 2005-2024 Lighting-Gallery.net | SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies