Author Topic: Linear fluorescent tube sizes, US versus Europe  (Read 10545 times)
arcblue

View Posts
View Gallery

Linear fluorescent tube sizes, US versus Europe « on: August 18, 2007, 05:48:26 AM » Author: arcblue
I'm trying to get a handle on the differences between typical, traditional commercial & residential fluorescent lamps.

In the U.S., the most common fluorescent fixture until recently would use a 48 inch, 40 watt T12 lamps and a rapid start magnetic ballast. Next most common would be the 96 inch, 75w T12 fixture with an instant-start ballast and single-pin lamps. Reduced-wattage versions were made in 34 and 60 watts, respectively. Nowadays the 32w T8 with electronic instant start ballast is most common for the 48 inch size.

24 inch, 20 watt T12's and 15w T8 18 inch lampswith preheat ballasts were common for the smaller lamps, the latter of which is still common but with electronic instant-start ballasts. On the high output side, 8 foot, 110w 800ma or 8 foot, 215w 1500ma VHO lamps were probably most common. These were T12 on magnetic rapid-start ballasts and were usually found in sign or other outdoor lighting.

So, what would be the European equivalents? I see reference to 36w and 58w lamps - are these metric lengths? Also it seems that because of the higher mains voltage, preheat choke type ballasts appeared to be the norm until relatively recently. What would be the most common sizes for typical home & office lighting?

I'm lampin...

SeanB~1

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Linear fluorescent tube sizes, US versus Europe « Reply #1 on: August 19, 2007, 11:44:29 AM » Author: SeanB~1
The 36W refers to a T8 4 foot tube, the 56W is a T8 5 footer. Mostly used here in South Africa. Generally older fittings are a rapid start, only the last year is electronic ballasting starting to appear, with lighting made in this country from Chinese components.

The majority are 1.2m and 1.5m ( 4ft and 5ft) and are almost entirely rapid start, although the instant ballasts are extremely common in dual 40W, but are slowly being replaced as they fail, as well as them for some reason not running T8 tubes well, the T12 being a higher cost item, and generally for that reason less common.

The 0.9m ( 3ft) size and smaller linear is not too common, and there are a lot of 20-30 year old installations with T12 8 foot fittings, they are invariably being replaced with 56W fittings rather than replacing ballasts, as they fail, simply due to the ballast cost being more than the fitting and tubes combined. ( I paid R135 ZAR/$20 for the last 1.5m fittings, the 8ft ballast alone was R250/$35)

Powergrove is exceedingly rare, most must date to the early 1970's, and I have not seen them for years now. Circline and U tubes are not visible at all.

As an aside, an electrician friend was responsible for lamping the Gateway Mall service area ( largest shopping mall in Southern hemisphere according to their claims) and he reckoned he installed 15km/10 miles of cable and fittings in total there to provide service and garage lighting.
TudorWhiz

View Posts
View Gallery

GoL
Re: Linear fluorescent tube sizes, US versus Europe « Reply #2 on: August 19, 2007, 12:58:07 PM » Author: TudorWhiz
3 footers around here aren't common either, they are 30 watters.....for T12s.....I also have T8 colored 3 footers, a blue and gold....

it seems different wattages  because of different cycles and voltage huh?

For pictures of my streetlight collection and other streetlight pictures with some various pictures that are not in this website, please visit http://www.galleryoflights.org/  under GullWhiz

Administrator of Galleryoflights.org

sparkie

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Linear fluorescent tube sizes, US versus Europe « Reply #3 on: November 08, 2007, 01:41:21 PM » Author: sparkie
Here's a list of all the linear fluorescents that I have seen here in UK:
If anyone knows of other lengths/wattages that I have missed, feel free to add them!

Less than 2Ft

6"  4w T5
9"  6w T5
12" 8w T5
18" 15w T8
21" 13w T5

2Ft and longer

2ft 18w T8
2ft 20w T12
3ft 30w T8
3ft 30w T12
4ft 36w T8
4ft 40w T12
5ft 58w T8
5ft 65w T12
5ft 80w T12
6ft 70w T8
6ft 75w T12

8ft 80w T12
8ft 100w T12
8ft 125w T12

The most common control gear for fluorescents here is glow-switch-start. Tubes of 2ft or less are wired in series pairs when used in multiple lamp fixtures. Of course ECG is rapidly taking over although I have seen some recent new installations with conventional gear.

I have deliberately left out the 'new generation' T5 lamps (HE and HO types)as I do not know much about them.
Michael

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Linear fluorescent tube sizes, US versus Europe « Reply #4 on: December 01, 2007, 01:20:39 PM » Author: Michael
We also know the 4feet T8 32W in Europe. This lamp will be used only with electronic ballasts!
There are also the 2feet  T8 16W and 5 feet T8 50W. all made by PHILIPS. ( PHILIPS TL-D 32W/830 HF Electronic)

They were made for the first electronic ballast generation back in the eighties.

Medved

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Linear fluorescent tube sizes, US versus Europe « Reply #5 on: March 24, 2009, 08:24:27 PM » Author: Medved
Czech republic:
Present day, most used are (sorted by usage):
"120cm" (4ft) F36T8 (replaced F40T12)
"60cm" (2ft) F18T8 (replaced F20T12) - two of these run usually in series on F36W ballast
"150cm" (5ft) F58T8 (replaced F65T12)
PL-S 7/9/11W
Then the range 8..24W T5 with electronic ballast fixtures, appearing recently (in last 10 years)

But last week i discovered some old Tesla ~100cm F24T12 lamp, don't know, how old it is, on the ballast was year around 1967...

No more selfballasted c***

Roi_hartmann

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Linear fluorescent tube sizes, US versus Europe « Reply #6 on: March 25, 2009, 04:41:19 AM » Author: Roi_hartmann
These tubes are most common in Finland

120cm (4ft) F36T8
60cm (2ft) F18T8, two of these run usually in series on F36W ballast
150cm (5ft) F58T8, usually used by insdustrial & shoplighting. Rare in residential use.
90cm (3ft) 30w T8, previously not so common but now almost rare. replace lamps available but expensive
43cm (18") 15w T8 Used in some small special fixtures. Repalced mostly by PL-S lamps. Replace lamps available but expensive, two of these run usually in series on F30W ballast

T12s are long gone, you can stille get new lamps but they are very expensive.

Most ballast have been Preheat type with glow-switch-start until recently ECG starts to be common in industrial and office lighting. Residential lighting still uses preheat ones.
Rapid and instant start ballast is very uncommon.

T5 lamps is taking the business, but slowly.

Aamulla aurinko, illalla AIRAM

sotonsteve

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Linear fluorescent tube sizes, US versus Europe « Reply #7 on: March 25, 2009, 11:16:09 AM » Author: sotonsteve
In the old days you would see 5ft 80w T12 fluorescent lamps, but improvement in lamp technology means that 5ft 58w T8 fluorescent lamps can now be used instead. The most common fluorescent battens you can pick up in DIY shops in Britain are for 4ft 36w T8 lamps and 5ft 58w T8 lamps. However, there are many different types of fluorescent lamp on the market, and with a wide variety of wattages. However, go to the DIY shop to buy a fitting for your garage or shed and you'll no doubt walk away with a 36w or 58w fitting.
Print 
© 2005-2024 Lighting-Gallery.net | SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies