Author Topic: Do mixed color temperatures annoy you?  (Read 3325 times)
Michael

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Do mixed color temperatures annoy you? « Reply #15 on: December 29, 2020, 02:52:19 AM » Author: Michael
No it does not at all! As long as there are only two different colours.

Used to be it was done here intentionally on streets and factories. On streets we had those large street light fixtures incorporating two bulbs, one MV together with a SOX tube. Or high bay lights in factories and low bay lights in ice hockey rinks with two bulbs, one HPS together with one MH lamp.

In primary school the class rooms were lit mostly with two lamp fixtures which some had the old 65W/34 De Luxe tubes and the replacement tubes were 65W/33 cool white tubes that were mixed together.
CreeRSW207

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Do mixed color temperatures annoy you? « Reply #16 on: December 29, 2020, 07:58:14 PM » Author: CreeRSW207
Yes they do!!! There was a construction project a couple years ago where they installed pedestrian crossing lights complete with 3000K Leotek GCL fixtures that the construction company installed, near that the Utility installed a 4000K GE ERS2 on top of that there’s HPS fixtures surrounding the LEDs!

Long live the Incandescent streetlights!
Power Company: Eversource
Startup Landscaping/LED retrofit business.

BG101

View Posts
View Gallery

EYE H80 Mercury Vapour

Brian TheTellyman
Re: Do mixed color temperatures annoy you? « Reply #17 on: December 31, 2020, 05:34:14 PM » Author: BG101
It depends on which colours are being mixed and (most importantly IMHO) whether this also mixes well with natural daylight.

I find that mixing natural daylight with anything under 4000°K indoors to be unacceptable. Mixing different colours only really works where the light is coming from (very close to) the same source.

Say NO to DICTATORSHIP in the form of bulb/tube/ballast bans !!

takemorepills

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Do mixed color temperatures annoy you? « Reply #18 on: January 03, 2021, 12:39:40 AM » Author: takemorepills
I have a new neighbor.

Previously the entire house was lit by incan or WW CFL. The house is very traditional and the exterior is red brick.

The new owner has gone through and put cold white/blue LED lighting inside the house. All of it. Bright too. Probably 6000K.

Most of the exterior lights he hasn't gotten around to yet, they are still 2700ish, but there is one exterior light with a 4000K in it!

It's bugging the crap out of me because 1. To me, bluish lights clash with this type of home, 2. yes the mixed K's annoy me, 3. the interior lights are so bright and glary (he has installed open fixtures) that when he turns on certain lights it illuminates the interior of my house with that ghoulish light :curse:
Michael

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Do mixed color temperatures annoy you? « Reply #19 on: January 03, 2021, 02:32:45 AM » Author: Michael
Virtually all lighting in places here (schools, etc) used to be maintained by spot relamping

In my schools, especially the high school that was older so most lamps were not the originals - there was a mix of everything - Daylight, Cool White, (of different manufacturers and different wear levels, so looking different even when they are the same ratings), mix of T8 and T12 in the same luminaires, etc. But they were always all working - Janitor was walking by with a ladder and a box of tubes every once in a while, and faithfully doing his job.

That was exactly the case here in my school. There were three colour types of tubes mixed in the classrooms. The oldest tubes 65W34 (3850K) with the more modern 58W/84 (4000K) and the most newest which were again 65W but the colour 33 (4300K and bad CRI).
One thing I remember is that even in the atomic power plant I did work occasionally there were mostly mixed colour temperatures. Here the oldest were 65W/25 and 65W/33 then later replaced by 58W/33 and 58W/840W. In between GE Polylux 58W from GB were used. These started quite quickly to shift their light colour as they aged to a more greenish hue while the Philips tubes did burn stable.
joseph_125

View Posts
View Gallery

GoL
Re: Do mixed color temperatures annoy you? « Reply #20 on: January 04, 2021, 12:37:12 AM » Author: joseph_125
Years ago, Widelite marketed a high bay luminaire that used a HPS and MH lamp in the same reflector to improve the overall colour rendering.

Around the same time, it was suggested to retrofit twin lamp 400w mercury high bay luminaires with a MH retrofit lamp on the lead side and a HPS retrofit lamp on the lag side. This was done to save a bit of energy but more done to increase light output and improve colour rendering over MV. 

Print 
© 2005-2024 Lighting-Gallery.net | SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies