Author Topic: You guys do realize that LEDs will one day become valuable.  (Read 7962 times)
Mandolin Girl

View Posts
View Gallery

Oil Lamp Addict

Re: You guys do realize that LEDs will one day become valuable. « Reply #15 on: November 17, 2020, 05:31:48 PM » Author: Mandolin Girl
What has really soured us towards L*D is that it's slowly eroding our choice in what we use for lighting.  >:(  :'(
We are left with what we can get online. :-\
« Last Edit: November 17, 2020, 05:35:03 PM by Mandolin Girl » Logged

Hugs and STUFF Sammi xXx (also in Aberdeen) :love: :oil-ltn:
Published Author ;D
There are two kinds of light  -  the glow that illuminates, and the glare that obscures.
James Thurber
SMILEY ONLY ANSWERS WILL BE DELETED FROM MY POSTS

AngryHorse

View Posts
View Gallery

Rich, Coaster junkie!

Re: You guys do realize that LEDs will one day become valuable. « Reply #16 on: November 17, 2020, 05:33:39 PM » Author: AngryHorse
Yeah, that is indeed a valid point!  :o

Current: UK 230V, 50Hz
Power provider: e.on energy
Street lighting in our town: Philips UniStreet LED (gen 1)
Longest serving LED in service at home, (hour count): Energetic mini clear globe: 54,050 hrs @ 10/2/24

Welcome to OBLIVION

LightsoftheWest

View Posts
View Gallery

SRP for life.

streetlightian
Re: You guys do realize that LEDs will one day become valuable. « Reply #17 on: November 17, 2020, 06:03:49 PM » Author: LightsoftheWest
Oh wow!  :o I had no idea that this topic would ever be as popular as it is now!  ;D

LG's #1 North American light fixture identifier

HPS_250

View Posts
View Gallery

Long live the HPS and SOX!

UCAjfrNb4v77ybEBBYqxZxiw
Re: You guys do realize that LEDs will one day become valuable. « Reply #18 on: November 17, 2020, 07:03:08 PM » Author: HPS_250
Well, I might use a limited amount of LEDs in places where other light sources can’t be used, such as high recessed cans, where you can’t get up to them to change incandescent lamps, for example. I don’t think I will ever collect LEDs though.

I’ve always been interested in all kinds of lighting, mainly incandescent and HID, and especially all kinds of sodium lamps (HPS/LPS). I’ll tolerate LED but I’m not a fan of it.
I’m not proud to say that my city has Devolved to LED.

Silverliner
Administrator

View Posts
View Gallery

Rare white reflector

GoL
Re: You guys do realize that LEDs will one day become valuable. « Reply #19 on: November 17, 2020, 07:47:37 PM » Author: Silverliner
I looked at fluorescent lighting lately and I feel nostalgic. Even though they are modern T8s. Is this bad?

Administrator of Lighting-Gallery.net. Need help? PM me.

Member of L-G since 2005.

Collector of vintage bulbs, street lights and fluorescent fixtures.

Electrician.

Also a fan of cars, travelling, working out, food, hanging out.

Power company: Southern California Edison.

High Intensity

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: You guys do realize that LEDs will one day become valuable. « Reply #20 on: November 17, 2020, 08:03:11 PM » Author: High Intensity
I actually like older LEDs with big, heavy heatsinks, in fact, most of the LEDs I own have big heatsinks.

But I personally think some older LEDs and even most decent CFLs will become really collectable in a few years.
« Last Edit: November 17, 2020, 08:05:05 PM by High Intensity » Logged
Binarix128

View Posts
View Gallery
220V AC 50Hz, NTSC

GoL UCOUT2noI2R__jgPSJUjGRtA
Re: You guys do realize that LEDs will one day become valuable. « Reply #21 on: November 17, 2020, 08:20:34 PM » Author: Binarix128
Because old LED bulbs are expensive, I'll not start to collect LEDs until a newer technology is released to the market, that's the best moment to collect LEDs.

Till that doesn't happen I'll be very picky with the LED I'll buy and I will only buy just a couple, but first I need to end up with CFLs.

For now, a little bundle of LEDs is ok.
Lightingguy1994
Administrator

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: You guys do realize that LEDs will one day become valuable. « Reply #22 on: November 17, 2020, 08:40:11 PM » Author: Lightingguy1994
It's hard to predict the future with the LEDs. Most of them are often designed to be disposable integrated units and most of them die prematurely because of the cost cutting and poor design, especially when it comes to heat dissipation.

It isn't the same situation as it was with the older lighting technologies of decades past. The older Fluorescents, Sodium, Mercury, incandescent, neons etc made in the previous century were all well built / designed and held up very respectable lives which is why these older lamps can still be found today. (Such as a Sylvania Lifeline lamp or a westinghouse Mv lamp). LED's just aren't holding up the same way as the older lights did. Sure the LED's will get you by for a time but they won't hold up anywhere near as well as the old stuff so they will never be as collectible. Most of this has to do with the electronic drivers that power them, the capacitors in them will never hold up being stored or used for many years. A NOS LED powered on 20 years from now may just go up in smoke due to capacitor degradation.

Administrator #5

xmaslightguy

View Posts
View Gallery

Somewhere There Is Light(ning)

GoL ATL
Re: You guys do realize that LEDs will one day become valuable. « Reply #23 on: November 17, 2020, 08:50:26 PM » Author: xmaslightguy
I don't "collect" lights because they might one day 'be valuable'(to the right person)...
Its more a thing of I just happen to like lights (particularly fluorescent & Christmas)

Really have no interest in CFL's or LED bulbs
LED Christmas lights on the other hand I do have interest in (and have lots of sets of, but I'm not  "collecting" them for say, its like with normal lights - I like the things, and they are also 'there to be used'... )

But as far as any of the stuff I have being truly valuable...by the time that happens I'll be long gone.

ThunderStorms/Lightning/Tornados are meant to be hunted down & watched...not hidden from in the basement!

Binarix128

View Posts
View Gallery
220V AC 50Hz, NTSC

GoL UCOUT2noI2R__jgPSJUjGRtA
Re: You guys do realize that LEDs will one day become valuable. « Reply #24 on: November 17, 2020, 08:52:12 PM » Author: Binarix128
That's why I want to collect LEDs, for show them as the worst lighting technology ever.

That seems to be a law in lighting, every new lighting technology that comes is crappier and cheaper than the previous one. Just take incandescents, CFLs and LEDs as an example.

The tungsten incandescent bulbs where made in the beginning of the planned obsolescence, so, reduced life. Then CFL came and was a complete disaster; lighting bans by money trend starter, awful overall product quality and even less life. Today we have LEDs; the bans trend just increased and the components are even crappier and cheaper than CFL, and the product quality is worse.

We will probably continue like that for quite a while.
Bulbman256

View Posts
View Gallery

Mad Max

Bulbman256
Re: You guys do realize that LEDs will one day become valuable. « Reply #25 on: November 24, 2020, 11:08:16 PM » Author: Bulbman256
Collectable cfls and leds? I have a bunch of weird early leds and some oddball cfls that where some of the building blocks of my interest and my collection.

Collecting light bulbs since 2012, a madman since birth.

Lightingguy1994
Administrator

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: You guys do realize that LEDs will one day become valuable. « Reply #26 on: November 25, 2020, 02:34:51 AM » Author: Lightingguy1994
The first CFLs were pretty good I think :a_sl:

Administrator #5

Rommie
Administrator

View Posts
View Gallery

Andromeda Ascendant

Re: You guys do realize that LEDs will one day become valuable. « Reply #27 on: November 25, 2020, 08:10:13 AM » Author: Rommie
The first CFLs were pretty good I think :a_sl:
The 1st and 2nd generation magnetically ballasted Philips SL ones were, certainly from an engineering point of view. Although I would NOT have wanted to be sitting underneath one with a bayonet cap if the locating pins gave way  :poof: :o :a_sl:

Ria (aka Rommie) in Aberdeen
Administrator, UK & European time zones. Any questions or problems, please feel free to get in touch :love:

"What greater gift than the love of a cat..?" - Charles Dickens
*** No smiley-only replies, please ***

Bulbman256

View Posts
View Gallery

Mad Max

Bulbman256
Re: You guys do realize that LEDs will one day become valuable. « Reply #28 on: November 25, 2020, 12:55:26 PM » Author: Bulbman256
The 1st and 2nd generation magnetically ballasted Philips SL ones were, certainly from an engineering point of view. Although I would NOT have wanted to be sitting underneath one with a bayonet cap if the locating pins gave way  :poof: :o :a_sl:

Was this a problem with these lamps or did this happen to someone you knew? :wndr: :lol:

Collecting light bulbs since 2012, a madman since birth.

Rommie
Administrator

View Posts
View Gallery

Andromeda Ascendant

Re: You guys do realize that LEDs will one day become valuable. « Reply #29 on: November 25, 2020, 01:02:18 PM » Author: Rommie
Was this a problem with these lamps or did this happen to someone you knew? :wndr: :lol:
Well given that they weigh a pound upwards I wouldn't want to take the chance  :poof:

Ria (aka Rommie) in Aberdeen
Administrator, UK & European time zones. Any questions or problems, please feel free to get in touch :love:

"What greater gift than the love of a cat..?" - Charles Dickens
*** No smiley-only replies, please ***

Print 
© 2005-2024 Lighting-Gallery.net | SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies