Author Topic: Fluorescent lamps burning out on mains voltage.  (Read 4310 times)
WorldwideHIDCollectorUSA

View Posts
View Gallery

HID, LPS, and preheat fluorescents forever!!!!!!

Worldwide HIDCollectorUSA
Fluorescent lamps burning out on mains voltage. « on: October 09, 2020, 04:31:19 PM » Author: WorldwideHIDCollectorUSA
Has anyone seen this video showing what happens when a fluorescent troffer gets retrofitted to LED through ballast bypass:

https://youtu.be/hTleg8upX6k

Desire to collect various light bulbs (especially HID), control gear, and fixtures from around the world.

DISCLAIMER: THE EXPERIMENTS THAT I CONDUCT INVOLVING UNUSUAL LAMP/BALLAST COMBINATIONS SHOULD NOT BE ATTEMPTED UNLESS YOU HAVE THE PROPER KNOWLEDGE. I AM NOT RESPONSIBLE FOR ANY INJURIES.

wide-lite 1000

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Fluorescent lamps burning out on mains voltage. « Reply #1 on: October 09, 2020, 11:08:45 PM » Author: wide-lite 1000
In order to remain code compliant , the installer MUST install the warning label stating that the fixture has had the ballast removed and that standard fluorescent tubes can no longer be installed . There's NO difference in this or converting a streetlight from one light source to another.  If the conversion isn't done correctly , that's the initial installer's fault , NOT the manufacturer's fault.

Collector,Hoarder,Pack-rat! Clear mercury Rules!!

joseph_125

View Posts
View Gallery

GoL
Re: Fluorescent lamps burning out on mains voltage. « Reply #2 on: October 09, 2020, 11:46:17 PM » Author: joseph_125
Yeah I believe the direct wire kits are suppose to come with a warning label for that reason. Granted I doubt many will even read the label and just pop in a fluorescent lamp. Personally the more idiot proof way would be to make a new tombstone standard only for direct wire LED tubes or use the drop in LED tubes instead.

I've noticed almost every field retrofitted T8 luminaire will still have the original F40T12 labels on them. AFAIK there wasn't a code requirement to relabel field retrofitted T8 luminaires.   
wide-lite 1000

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Fluorescent lamps burning out on mains voltage. « Reply #3 on: October 09, 2020, 11:52:44 PM » Author: wide-lite 1000
I like how the comments are turned off for the linked video !  ;D  They know they'll get bombarded with people telling them that their video is nothing  but fear mongering for people who shouldn't be converting  or maintaining fixtures anyways !

WorldwideHIDCollectorUSA

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Fluorescent lamps burning out on mains voltage. « Reply #4 on: October 10, 2020, 12:04:17 AM » Author: WorldwideHIDCollectorUSA
I imagine this same thing will happen with HID fixtures that have had their ballasts bypassed for LED corn cobs if someone inadvertently installs a MV or probe start MH bulb in the retrofitted fixture.

Desire to collect various light bulbs (especially HID), control gear, and fixtures from around the world.

DISCLAIMER: THE EXPERIMENTS THAT I CONDUCT INVOLVING UNUSUAL LAMP/BALLAST COMBINATIONS SHOULD NOT BE ATTEMPTED UNLESS YOU HAVE THE PROPER KNOWLEDGE. I AM NOT RESPONSIBLE FOR ANY INJURIES.

wide-lite 1000

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Fluorescent lamps burning out on mains voltage. « Reply #5 on: October 10, 2020, 12:08:34 AM » Author: wide-lite 1000
Exactly !

wide-lite 1000

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Fluorescent lamps burning out on mains voltage. « Reply #6 on: October 10, 2020, 12:15:09 AM » Author: wide-lite 1000
In case you haven't noticed , I'm not really a fan of YouTube videos for the reason that most of the people making those videos have absolutely NO IDEA what they're doing ! Right or wrong these videos get posted and then someone who knows nothing about the subject sees the video in question and thinks that the producer of said video actually knows what he or she is doing and in turn screws something up or worse , hurts themselves  .

joseph_125

View Posts
View Gallery

GoL
Re: Fluorescent lamps burning out on mains voltage. « Reply #7 on: October 10, 2020, 01:17:30 AM » Author: joseph_125
Yeah I think the main motivation of this video is more to upsell a full conversion to LED luminaires instead of using retrofit tubes. I've also noticed that they blocked comments. I see this all the time on videos with more controversial topics.
WorldwideHIDCollectorUSA

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Fluorescent lamps burning out on mains voltage. « Reply #8 on: October 10, 2020, 01:28:48 AM » Author: WorldwideHIDCollectorUSA
When you look at one of their videos showing their retrofit kits being installed, you will notice that their LED tubes have a bipin cap on one end and a slimline cap on the other end:

https://youtu.be/ZyCt7a53Qac

joseph_125

View Posts
View Gallery

GoL
Re: Fluorescent lamps burning out on mains voltage. « Reply #9 on: October 10, 2020, 01:44:52 AM » Author: joseph_125
Well I guess that's one way to idiot proof it. You can also see that warning label being affixed to the ballast cover too. I guess the slimline end is just a dummy for support and all the power goes through the bipin end.

Granted I think a few of us on here would want that slimline bracket and holders for other purposes. Like converting a regular troffer to slimline.
Print 
© 2005-2024 Lighting-Gallery.net | SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies