Author Topic: Worst Re-Store visits  (Read 1037 times)
WorldwideHIDCollectorUSA

View Posts
View Gallery

HID, LPS, and preheat fluorescents forever!!!!!!

Worldwide HIDCollectorUSA
Worst Re-Store visits « on: May 24, 2021, 05:05:04 PM » Author: WorldwideHIDCollectorUSA
I wonder if anyone has been to a Re-store that hardly sells any lighting. In my experience, I visited a Re-store in Bellflower, CA, USA that hardly had any lighting. It was pretty much just nothing but table lamps and non-lighting related stuff. The attached photos show what was mostly inside that Re-Store.

Desire to collect various light bulbs (especially HID), control gear, and fixtures from around the world.

DISCLAIMER: THE EXPERIMENTS THAT I CONDUCT INVOLVING UNUSUAL LAMP/BALLAST COMBINATIONS SHOULD NOT BE ATTEMPTED UNLESS YOU HAVE THE PROPER KNOWLEDGE. I AM NOT RESPONSIBLE FOR ANY INJURIES.

fluorescent lover 40

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Worst Re-Store visits « Reply #1 on: May 24, 2021, 05:55:47 PM » Author: fluorescent lover 40
That ReStore used to have good stuff. Maybe it will return someday. There used to be lots of lamps and lights that weren't table lamps.
The ReStore in Torrance was similar, but I haven't been back there in a while.
Rommie
Administrator

View Posts
View Gallery

Andromeda Ascendant

Re: Worst Re-Store visits « Reply #2 on: May 24, 2021, 06:04:50 PM » Author: Rommie
You're lucky you get them at all, we have nothing similar over here.

We have charity shops, but they rarely if ever have any lighting apart from table/floor lamps and the occasional incandescent bulb. Never seen any discharge lighting of any description at all ever. Most of them are still closed, anyway, or they were the last time we went out :-\

Ria (aka Rommie) in Aberdeen
Administrator, UK & European time zones. Any questions or problems, please feel free to get in touch :love:

"What greater gift than the love of a cat..?" - Charles Dickens
*** No smiley-only replies, please ***

xmaslightguy

View Posts
View Gallery

Somewhere There Is Light(ning)

GoL ATL
Re: Worst Re-Store visits « Reply #3 on: May 25, 2021, 01:01:47 AM » Author: xmaslightguy
There is one ReStore here I went to a number of years ago (in Aurora CO), and they had basically nothing in the way of lighting. I've never been back (in part due to the lack of lighting stuff they had, and in part the fact it is not at all convenient location wize)

There was another one (in Highlands Ranch CO) that also had very little...actually had very little of anything, because it was a tiny little store. I called it the 'ReStore Closet' due to its small size .lol. (said store has since closed)

ThunderStorms/Lightning/Tornados are meant to be hunted down & watched...not hidden from in the basement!

LightsoftheWest

View Posts
View Gallery

SRP for life.

streetlightian
Re: Worst Re-Store visits « Reply #4 on: May 25, 2021, 01:36:19 AM » Author: LightsoftheWest
The last time I was there, the one in Yelm, WA had no light bulbs to be found.

LG's #1 North American light fixture identifier

tolivac

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Worst Re-Store visits « Reply #5 on: May 25, 2021, 02:05:40 AM » Author: tolivac
The restore near me has NO commercial lighting equipment-just residential. Lots of "Boob" lights!and bathroom,kitchen lights.Misc bulbs.
desktoptrashcan

View Posts
View Gallery

theroadrunner556
Re: Worst Re-Store visits « Reply #6 on: May 25, 2021, 02:06:47 AM » Author: desktoptrashcan
My ReStore has bulbs for days. The only problem? They’re mostly modern stuff that I’m not interested in (except for the 35W and 70W CMH bulbs — I’ve been eyeing those for a while).
joseph_125

View Posts
View Gallery

GoL
Re: Worst Re-Store visits « Reply #7 on: May 25, 2021, 02:53:33 AM » Author: joseph_125
Restore is a mixed bag around here, especially in the last 5 years or so since the supply of older lighting has dried up. There's still the occasional vintage gem but I'm seeing more and more new in box LED lamps and fixtures.

Modern HID and fluorescent are common too, often some random wattage CMH or HPS and some misc PL fluorescent lamps.

The ones located about an hour or two away from the city sometimes have good stuff.
Econolite03

View Posts
View Gallery

Matthew E.

Re: Worst Re-Store visits « Reply #8 on: May 25, 2021, 02:59:25 AM » Author: Econolite03
My local ReStores typically have boring stuff most of the time. They did have box-loads of TCP 4100K CFLs (which I got a pair and I have posted) and that’s about the only thing interesting lately. Otherwise it’s just modern stuff that can be bought anywhere. It’s hit or miss.
« Last Edit: May 25, 2021, 03:05:03 AM by Econolite03 » Logged

Now on Linktree

funkybulb

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Worst Re-Store visits « Reply #9 on: May 25, 2021, 11:55:51 PM » Author: funkybulb
There one restore I really hate going
  I used to find all kind of stuff at Probant
 San Antonio location.  They used to have a
 Lighting aisle. Since under new management
  They hardly have any flurescent fixtures
  And all stuff got tossed in a bin with disorgnize
 Mess.  And what set me off is few vintage preheaters
 In scrap metal dumpster at Restore! And They wont
 Sell it to me or even rescue them!

No LED gadgets, spins too slowly.  Gotta  love preheat and MV. let the lights keep my meter spinning.

Lumex120

View Posts
View Gallery

/X rated

UCM30tBQDUECOV6VeG5W87Vg
Re: Worst Re-Store visits « Reply #10 on: May 26, 2021, 12:47:16 AM » Author: Lumex120
So there used to be this one Restore in Appleton, Wisconsin that I always went to every time I was there. They always had really cool stuff, mostly just lamps but I found a 1940's Mazda 100w A21, 3 35w Philips CMH PAR30s, some slightly used Westinghouse /DX lifeguards (175w) as well as various other lamps. Then, in 2018 or so they opened another brand new Restore on a different side of the city. Since then I make sure to check both stores whenever I'm in the area, but since the new one opened it feels like neither has had anything of interest. The only cool thing I've found since then was an NOS Electripak FUL12 fixture.

Also, the restore that's nearest to me (as in within biking distance) was remodeled in 2020 and expanded significantly, and since then their lighting department has absolutely sucked. I haven't seen so much as a single HID lamp there since 2019 or so. Which is strange considering that it's in a very densely populated area with some commercial district so I'd think some old fixtures from LED changeouts would show up once in a while. The other Restore I used to frequent (Minneapolis, and it was a few hundred feet away from the street that was was looted and burned last year, I have no idea how it survived and was unscathed) always had tons of newer HID lamps, mostly HPS from what I think was Lowe's clearance. I saw some cool things there a few times but I've stopped going there as the area has gotten quite dangerous in the past year and getting caught in gunfire is a very real concern.

Unofficial LG Discord

High Intensity

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Worst Re-Store visits « Reply #11 on: May 26, 2021, 01:26:05 AM » Author: High Intensity
In my area, there's the San Carlos Restore, which had some modern bulbs priced at near retail prices last time I was there, though I think it might have shut down at some point

When I was in Florida awhile ago, there was the Brandon Restore, which had next to nothing when it came to lighting (other than some residential fixtures).

The San Jose restore, which is the one I go to all the time (since it's the only one that isn't a 30+ minute drive to get to or from) has its good days and its bad days when it comes to what it has, last time I was there, they had two Lithonia 70w HPS wallpacks for about $70 each.
« Last Edit: May 29, 2021, 07:57:52 PM by High Intensity » Logged
High Intensity

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Worst Re-Store visits « Reply #12 on: May 29, 2021, 08:00:49 PM » Author: High Intensity
Turns out, the San Jose restore will no longer accept any fluorescent tubes or fixtures, and any that's dropped off will get sent to the recycling center next door. :(
Cole D.

View Posts
View Gallery

123 V 60 CPS

Dk944Mr-jX4jbnoUUj7xAw
Re: Worst Re-Store visits « Reply #13 on: May 30, 2021, 09:10:53 AM » Author: Cole D.
My restore does have a small lighting selection upstairs. Sometimes they get in vintage incandescent fixtures, and there is a decent selection of incandescent, LED and fluorescent bulbs.

However they don't really ever get any commercial fixtures, and I've never seen any HID fixtures for sale. Yet that said, I have gotten two of my vintage mercury bulbs there (a Sylvania and a Westinghouse Lifeguard), so it has yielded some good finds. I've also gotten some porcelain ceiling sockets there which I collect. As well as vintage receptacles and GFCIs, although the last few years there haven't been as many interesting wiring devices for sale.

Collect vintage incandescent and fluorescent fixtures. Also like HID lighting and streetlights.

Print 
© 2005-2024 Lighting-Gallery.net | SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies