Author Topic: Unintentional smileys  (Read 385 times)
sox35
Administrator

View Posts
View Gallery

Andromeda Ascendant

Unintentional smileys « on: May 14, 2021, 08:49:06 AM » Author: sox35
Just tried to enter a number (a currency equivalent) within a set of brackets in a gallery comment, the number ended in an 8 and Coppermine is interpreting that as a  8).  I note that in Coppermine the code for that smiley is 8 followed by a dash and a right bracket, in SMF it is just an 8 and a bracket. So if I want to include a number ending with an 8 inside a set of brackets it doesn't work.

Example - I wanted to say £61.68 but in brackets, instead I get (£61.6 8)

Strangely enough it shows ok in this example, I had to add a space after the 6 in 68 to get the smiley to show, but in Coppermine it does it every time  ???

Ria (aka Rommie) in Aberdeen
It'll be all right in the end, and if it isn't all right, it isn't the end :love:

Administrator, UK and European time zones. Any questions or problems, please feel free to get in touch
:love:

xmaslightguy

View Posts
View Gallery

The Christmas Lights Are On, But Is Anybody Home..

GoL ATL
Re: Unintentional smileys « Reply #1 on: May 14, 2021, 11:40:42 AM » Author: xmaslightguy
Yep! And I've seen that same '8' bug on other sites as well I now always just put a space between the '8' and ')'

Forget the lights..just give me a good lightning storm & tornado to go watch...

High Intensity

View Posts
View Gallery

GoL
Re: Unintentional smileys « Reply #2 on: May 14, 2021, 09:48:24 PM » Author: High Intensity
If you hit the 'Don't use smileys.' checkbox between the textbox and the attachment buttons, then it will stop your 8) from becoming a .
sox35
Administrator

View Posts
View Gallery

Andromeda Ascendant

Re: Unintentional smileys « Reply #3 on: May 15, 2021, 08:01:19 AM » Author: sox35
If you hit the 'Don't use smileys.' checkbox between the textbox and the attachment buttons, then it will stop your 8) from becoming a .
True, but I want to use them  :lol:

It'll be all right in the end, and if it isn't all right, it isn't the end :love:

Administrator, UK and European time zones. Any questions or problems, please feel free to get in touch

High Intensity

View Posts
View Gallery

GoL
Re: Unintentional smileys « Reply #4 on: May 15, 2021, 08:09:23 AM » Author: High Intensity
Well that simple then, just take the smiley you want to use, right-click it, click 'Copy Image Link' (or whatever it happens to be on your browser), and paste the smileys URL with the [IMG] code. That way you can still slap someone without having smileys enabled.  :lol:
Mandolin Girl

View Posts
View Gallery

Bodger extraordinaire - When in doubt, bodge.!

Re: Unintentional smileys « Reply #5 on: May 15, 2021, 08:13:19 AM » Author: Mandolin Girl
The problem is having a smiley inserted into what you're typing when you don't want one, not the other way round.

Hugs and STUFF Sammi xXx (also in Aberdeen) :love:

There are two kinds of light  -  the glow that illuminates, and the glare that obscures.
James Thurber (1894 - 1961)

High Intensity

View Posts
View Gallery

GoL
Re: Unintentional smileys « Reply #6 on: May 15, 2021, 08:22:22 AM » Author: High Intensity
The problem is having a smiley inserted into what you're typing when you don't want one, not the other way round.
That was what my first comment was about. I was responding to Ria about using smileys in a post that you disabled smileys on due to some unintentional ones popping up.

I'm sorry if I wasn't fully clear, as I really thought I was pretty clear on what I was saying.
sox35
Administrator

View Posts
View Gallery

Andromeda Ascendant

Re: Unintentional smileys « Reply #7 on: May 15, 2021, 08:35:26 AM » Author: sox35
I'm sorry if I wasn't fully clear, as I really thought I was pretty clear on what I was saying.
Sorry, we're obviously misunderstanding each other. I haven't turned smileys off, nor do I want to. I just wish that there was some way of telling the system that putting say 68 followed by a ) is not the same as saying 8 followed by a bracket. Can't the system be instructed to look for a space before the first code character of a smiley  ???

High Intensity

View Posts
View Gallery

GoL
Re: Unintentional smileys « Reply #8 on: May 15, 2021, 08:47:17 AM » Author: High Intensity
Sorry, that last post wasn't directed at you Ria, but disabling smileys only does it for that post, every other post you make will still have smileys enabled by default, so it's not like a site wide option, it's just for that one post, so if I were to do it for this post, then it would only affect this post and no other.

I would think there might be some way of making sure the issue does not come up at all, like the way you mentioned, or slightly tweaking the characters used to make it appear, but that would affect a lot of older posts that use that smiley.
xmaslightguy

View Posts
View Gallery

The Christmas Lights Are On, But Is Anybody Home..

GoL ATL
Re: Unintentional smileys « Reply #9 on: May 15, 2021, 12:15:12 PM » Author: xmaslightguy
The fix would be if the board software is 'smart enough' to have it set so if there is anything other than a space before a 8), then it doesn't do that smilie.
Another would be delete/disable the 8) smilie, and set up a new one to use 8-)

Forget the lights..just give me a good lightning storm & tornado to go watch...

Print 
© 2005-2021 Lighting-Gallery.net | SMF 2.0.18 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines