Author Topic: Has anyone totally swapped out their indoor lighting with HID lighting?  (Read 771 times)
WorldwideHIDCollectorUSA

View Posts
View Gallery

HID, LPS, and preheat fluorescents forever!!!!!!

Worldwide HIDCollectorUSA
Has anyone totally swapped out their indoor lighting with HID lighting? « on: November 22, 2020, 10:18:09 PM » Author: WorldwideHIDCollectorUSA
Personally, since I like using HID lighting, HID lamps have taken over most of the indoor lighting in my apartment except for a couple of fluorescents and LEDs. In my dream house I would like to use HID lighting throughout my house’s interior where I might use CMH lamps in a master bathroom and LPS soffits in bedrooms to help with sleep. In most cases, the rooms will use random HID light sources such as MV, QMH, HPS.

Desire to collect various light bulbs (especially HID), control gear, and fixtures from around the world.

DISCLAIMER: THE EXPERIMENTS THAT I CONDUCT INVOLVING UNUSUAL LAMP/BALLAST COMBINATIONS SHOULD NOT BE ATTEMPTED UNLESS YOU HAVE THE PROPER KNOWLEDGE. I AM NOT RESPONSIBLE FOR ANY INJURIES.

xmaslightguy

View Posts
View Gallery

Somewhere There Is Light(ning)

GoL ATL
Re: Has anyone totally swapped out their indoor lighting with HID lighting? « Reply #1 on: November 23, 2020, 12:52:10 AM » Author: xmaslightguy
I see HID as outdoor lighting, and wouldn't be using it anywhere in the house. (A garage or shed maybe. But not in the house). Great for the yard though!

Inside will be kept as all liner fluorescent, and incandescent.

ThunderStorms/Lightning/Tornados are meant to be hunted down & watched...not hidden from in the basement!

AngryHorse

View Posts
View Gallery

Rich, Coaster junkie!

Re: Has anyone totally swapped out their indoor lighting with HID lighting? « Reply #2 on: November 23, 2020, 01:33:24 AM » Author: AngryHorse
I’ve had a 100 watt Osram HQI-E in the living room. = Too bright and too long to re-strike after a power dip!
Changed that to a 70 watt Philips MHN-T in a surface mounted fitting. = Nearly set the ceiling on fire!
Had a 125 watt mercury lamp in a table lamp. = Nearly set the lampshade on fire!
Had two 70 watt halides in the kitchen. = Again too bright!
Then tried 70 watt HPS. = Made kitchen look like a ganja farm!
Ran 2 x 20 watt GU10 halides on the hall and landing but had no end of running and staring problems due to our fluctuating power supply!

So no, HID lamps are not really suitable for home use indoors!  ::)

Current: UK 230V, 50Hz
Power provider: e.on energy
Street lighting in our town: Philips UniStreet LED (gen 1)
Longest serving LED in service at home, (hour count): Energetic mini clear globe: 54,050 hrs @ 10/2/24

Welcome to OBLIVION

joseph_125

View Posts
View Gallery

GoL
Re: Has anyone totally swapped out their indoor lighting with HID lighting? « Reply #3 on: November 23, 2020, 01:42:29 AM » Author: joseph_125
I have a couple of 39w CMH track lights in the living room pointed at the ceiling for indirect light that I rarely use but only keep around for the rare time I need extra light. I also have a table lamp with a 100w CMH, which again I only use when I need a lot of light for at least an hour. So yeah not really practical for most lights in the home.

The place where I probably could get away with HID is the light over the stairs which burns for a few hours every night and I could use the extra light output of HID.

Outside I have two 100w MV wall lights in the backyard and a single 35w HPS wall pack on one side of the house.
tolivac

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Has anyone totally swapped out their indoor lighting with HID lighting? « Reply #4 on: November 23, 2020, 02:42:25 AM » Author: tolivac
CMH for me!!!!And many times so called CHPS-gives a yellow-white color light.Hortilux.Told them I use these for gen lighting-NOT for plants.I look at artificial lights for people-not plants.Plants need SUN!Thats the best plant lamp for them!
WorldwideHIDCollectorUSA

View Posts
View Gallery

HID, LPS, and preheat fluorescents forever!!!!!!

Worldwide HIDCollectorUSA
Re: Has anyone totally swapped out their indoor lighting with HID lighting? « Reply #5 on: November 23, 2020, 04:24:44 AM » Author: WorldwideHIDCollectorUSA
I am personally used to and comfortable with lighting my apartment with MV, HPS, MH, and sometimes LPS.

Desire to collect various light bulbs (especially HID), control gear, and fixtures from around the world.

DISCLAIMER: THE EXPERIMENTS THAT I CONDUCT INVOLVING UNUSUAL LAMP/BALLAST COMBINATIONS SHOULD NOT BE ATTEMPTED UNLESS YOU HAVE THE PROPER KNOWLEDGE. I AM NOT RESPONSIBLE FOR ANY INJURIES.

funkybulb

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Has anyone totally swapped out their indoor lighting with HID lighting? « Reply #6 on: November 25, 2020, 04:16:37 AM » Author: funkybulb
Lot times u have to request the landlords if that ok.   
    Problem is these property the landlord will have access
   Incase somthing goes wrong,  like plumbling leaks,  even doing  there montly A/c filter changes.   

I know one apt  want me to take down a light fixture and installed a outlet for his 1970s cheap sears
 40 watt preheater in kitchen.  It was accepable as it was
not a major modification to the APT.    Celing fans in bedroom
 Is a common request also.   

No LED gadgets, spins too slowly.  Gotta  love preheat and MV. let the lights keep my meter spinning.

Print 
© 2005-2024 Lighting-Gallery.net | SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies