Author Topic: Do you miss HID?  (Read 13428 times)
The Cooper OVX

View Posts
View Gallery

Do you miss HID? « on: November 21, 2020, 10:27:40 PM » Author: The Cooper OVX
Question: Do you miss HID?

My Response: I like LED because it is more efficient and long lasting than any other type of lighting maybe except for plasma but I do still miss HID a little bit.

Your feelings?
« Last Edit: November 21, 2020, 10:48:35 PM by The Cooper OVX » Logged

Common HPS fixture in many cities. slowly being phased out.

WorldwideHIDCollectorUSA

View Posts
View Gallery

HID, LPS, and preheat fluorescents forever!!!!!!

Worldwide HIDCollectorUSA
Re: Do you miss HID? « Reply #1 on: November 21, 2020, 10:42:50 PM » Author: WorldwideHIDCollectorUSA
The problem that I see with LED is that it is probe to early failures and that energy savings often results in lower light levels since some HID light sources actually have similar lumens per watt compared to some LED sources. In addition, I see that SOX lighting is more efficient than the LED retrofits that are marketed to replace them.

Desire to collect various light bulbs (especially HID), control gear, and fixtures from around the world.

DISCLAIMER: THE EXPERIMENTS THAT I CONDUCT INVOLVING UNUSUAL LAMP/BALLAST COMBINATIONS SHOULD NOT BE ATTEMPTED UNLESS YOU HAVE THE PROPER KNOWLEDGE. I AM NOT RESPONSIBLE FOR ANY INJURIES.

The Cooper OVX

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Do you miss HID? « Reply #2 on: November 21, 2020, 10:45:07 PM » Author: The Cooper OVX
The question is asking if you miss HID. What is your response?

Common HPS fixture in many cities. slowly being phased out.

Wireman
Re: Do you miss HID? « Reply #3 on: November 22, 2020, 12:20:45 AM » Author: Wireman
I definitely miss HID!
I miss the golden yellow glow of HPS and the bluish-white of MV.
Most importantly I miss the colorful strike up of these lamps in the evenings.
Lumex120

View Posts
View Gallery

/X rated

UCM30tBQDUECOV6VeG5W87Vg
Re: Do you miss HID? « Reply #4 on: November 22, 2020, 12:38:35 AM » Author: Lumex120
I certainly wish I would have enjoyed the time before LED was all you saw everywhere. Even 2010 to 2015-16 there was far more variety than there is now. I kind of feel bad for future lighting enthusiasts who won't get to see what pre-LED lighting was like firsthand.

Unofficial LG Discord

wide-lite 1000

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Do you miss HID? « Reply #5 on: November 22, 2020, 12:41:41 AM » Author: wide-lite 1000
I remember seeing I-95 in Connecticut lit entirely with the wonderful glow of 400w clear MV. MILES AND MILES OF IT !!! 

LED is OK but it's just boring ! Boring instant on , no slow ramp up like incandescent or color spikes like with HID , Boring drab 5,000k or dirty looking 3,000k  and Boring instant off , no incandescent ramp down , no afterglow of a cooling HID arc-tube.  :(

Collector,Hoarder,Pack-rat! Clear mercury Rules!!

Medved

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Do you miss HID? « Reply #6 on: November 22, 2020, 02:41:51 AM » Author: Medved
I miss MVs...
Already for more than 30 years...

No more selfballasted c***

sol

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Do you miss HID? « Reply #7 on: November 22, 2020, 06:37:06 AM » Author: sol
I miss the ‘personality’ of HID. I find LED to be very lackluster and they give light that ‘looks like plastic’.

I also miss MV. I’m having ballast issues with my outdoor MV where the still good lamp suddenly doesn’t strike. Last year, I replaced it with a probe start MH and I was surprised that I didn’t really like the way the grass looked under it. I had to change it again this fall and I put in a MV and the grass looks much better now. (It also forces me to get used to climbing the ladder but that is beside the point of this thread.)
CreeRSW207

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Do you miss HID? « Reply #8 on: November 22, 2020, 08:05:08 AM » Author: CreeRSW207
I miss it terribly! Luckily my town still is HPS!

Long live the Incandescent streetlights!
Power Company: Eversource
Startup Landscaping/LED retrofit business.

Cole D.

View Posts
View Gallery

123 V 60 CPS

Dk944Mr-jX4jbnoUUj7xAw
Re: Do you miss HID? « Reply #9 on: November 22, 2020, 01:04:42 PM » Author: Cole D.
My area is still a lot of HPS, so I can't say I miss it (yet). But I own HID fixtures and plan to install them in the future so I will never have to miss them completely. Because I will always have them.

Collect vintage incandescent and fluorescent fixtures. Also like HID lighting and streetlights.

WorldwideHIDCollectorUSA

View Posts
View Gallery

HID, LPS, and preheat fluorescents forever!!!!!!

Worldwide HIDCollectorUSA
Re: Do you miss HID? « Reply #10 on: November 22, 2020, 02:06:35 PM » Author: WorldwideHIDCollectorUSA
The neignborhoods that I have lived in still have HPS lanterns in service but I do miss seeing lanterns with glareshields on California freeways as they seemed to have an attractive design. I especially miss the 1960s GE M400 and the GE M1000 MV lanterns equipped with glareshields on some Southern California Freeways.

Desire to collect various light bulbs (especially HID), control gear, and fixtures from around the world.

DISCLAIMER: THE EXPERIMENTS THAT I CONDUCT INVOLVING UNUSUAL LAMP/BALLAST COMBINATIONS SHOULD NOT BE ATTEMPTED UNLESS YOU HAVE THE PROPER KNOWLEDGE. I AM NOT RESPONSIBLE FOR ANY INJURIES.

Lumex120

View Posts
View Gallery

/X rated

UCM30tBQDUECOV6VeG5W87Vg
Re: Do you miss HID? « Reply #11 on: November 22, 2020, 03:05:26 PM » Author: Lumex120
I have noticed that warm colored LED streetlights (3000k and below) tend to start off with a very nice halogen/incandescent like color but then they start turning into an ugly pink color after a few years.
I remember seeing I-95 in Connecticut lit entirely with the wonderful glow of 400w clear MV. MILES AND MILES OF IT !!! 

LED is OK but it's just boring ! Boring instant on , no slow ramp up like incandescent or color spikes like with HID , Boring drab 5,000k or dirty looking 3,000k  and Boring instant off , no incandescent ramp down , no afterglow of a cooling HID arc-tube.  :(

Unofficial LG Discord

HPS_250

View Posts
View Gallery

Long live the HPS and SOX!

UCAjfrNb4v77ybEBBYqxZxiw
Re: Do you miss HID? « Reply #12 on: November 26, 2020, 07:07:43 PM » Author: HPS_250
Of course I miss HID! HPS especially, but also MV and LPS. LED can be useful for some things, but I just don’t understand why it has to take over EVERYTHING.

I’ve always been interested in all kinds of lighting, mainly incandescent and HID, and especially all kinds of sodium lamps (HPS/LPS). I’ll tolerate LED but I’m not a fan of it.
I’m not proud to say that my city has Devolved to LED.

RyanF40T12

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Do you miss HID? « Reply #13 on: November 27, 2020, 04:14:38 PM » Author: RyanF40T12
I love the LED lighting and the power saving attributes it offers, and I think the technology has evolved enough now that the failure rates are at all time lows, and I like how we get more useful light if you go with 2700-4000K vs the High Pressure Sodium, but at the same time, I am not a fan of seeing so many 4000-5000K applications now as these do cause excessive light pollution.  Which is why I prefer the warmer 3000K color.  HPS was just too.. orange, which turns pinkish as the bulbs age.  while I do appreciate HPS in certain applications, I'll always be a bigger fan of the old school Mercury Vapor.  It's what I grew up around until the late 80s when things started going towards HPS.  But in this day and age, saving money and saving power is very important. 

The more you hate the LED movement, the stronger it becomes.

Mandolin Girl

View Posts
View Gallery

Oil Lamp Addict

Re: Do you miss HID? « Reply #14 on: November 30, 2020, 11:12:57 AM » Author: Mandolin Girl
For us it's an emphatic YES.!!! >:( :curse:
Now that the city is predominantly lit by L*D, we're scared to go out at night.   :'( :'(
The light level is vastly down on what it was, and with the colour temperature used my eyes just don't cope with it.  >:(
And by that I mean that I cannot see clearly more than a few feet, beyond that everything is indistinct.  :'(
Compare that to walking down the road under HPS lights, then I could see clearly from one end of the street to the other.  >:(
« Last Edit: December 03, 2020, 09:25:31 AM by Mandolin Girl » Logged

Hugs and STUFF Sammi xXx (also in Aberdeen) :love: :oil-ltn:
Published Author ;D
There are two kinds of light  -  the glow that illuminates, and the glare that obscures.
James Thurber
SMILEY ONLY ANSWERS WILL BE DELETED FROM MY POSTS

Print 
© 2005-2024 Lighting-Gallery.net | SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies