Author Topic: I wonder why the EU developed a letter grade system for lamp efficiency  (Read 1728 times)
WorldwideHIDCollectorUSA

View Posts
View Gallery

HID, LPS, and preheat fluorescents forever!!!!!!

Worldwide HIDCollectorUSA
I wonder why the EU developed a letter grade system for lamp efficiency « on: October 31, 2020, 05:54:35 PM » Author: WorldwideHIDCollectorUSA
I wonder why the European Union decided to implement a letter grade system for determining the efficiency of light bulbs where the A++ category represents the most efficient lamps and the G category represents the least efficient lamps?

Desire to collect various light bulbs (especially HID), control gear, and fixtures from around the world.

DISCLAIMER: THE EXPERIMENTS THAT I CONDUCT INVOLVING UNUSUAL LAMP/BALLAST COMBINATIONS SHOULD NOT BE ATTEMPTED UNLESS YOU HAVE THE PROPER KNOWLEDGE. I AM NOT RESPONSIBLE FOR ANY INJURIES.

Medved

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: I wonder why the EU developed a letter grade system for lamp efficiency « Reply #1 on: October 31, 2020, 07:10:25 PM » Author: Medved
I wonder why the European Union decided to implement a letter grade system for determining the efficiency of light bulbs where the A++ category represents the most efficient lamps and the G category represents the least efficient lamps?

Actually this letter grading system is mandatory for practically all electric appliances, by far not only lightbulbs. It is the most visible result of the "Energy efficiency directive".

But because of the variability of use cases and corresponding products, in most cases it is deceiving then helping.
The thing is, the charts asigning letters to the given electrical consumption differ according to e.g. the feature set.
So an example with fridges: Larger fridge is expected to consume more energy than smaller one, so the re are multiple size categories. That seems legit.
 Then when it features an ice maker, it is expected to consume more, so it has different chart than without. As a result, when these letter systems were introduced, for some time fridges in the 200l range without an icemaker disappeared and all sold have one. The thing was, the icemaker actually increased the consumption less than was the difference in the charts, so adding the ice maker was the easiest way to reach for "better grades", although the device actually featured less useful volume and consumed more.

Similar issue with lightbulbs:  lower wattages tend to be less efficient, so the same grades mean lower efficacy than those of higher power bulb. That made an impression of using two 40W lamps mean better grade than a single 75W, although the later consumes less and gives off more light.
Not speaking about lights used just for few seconds at a time, where because of the slow warmup, the CFLs had actually lower efficacy than incandescents, but bear 3 grades "better" label...

To me the only thing these "EEI labels" do is to obfuscate the real performance (because the place in the listing page is limited and the EEI labels are mandatory to be presented, the real figures is harder to find, mainly when shopping online). And for non tech savvy people it becomes way harder to understand, why for their application a "C" device will in their use caase actually consume less energy than a "B" or in many cases even "A" rated counterpart. When the EU morons advertise it as "an easy guide to select more efficient devices". They just "forget to tell" this is just for a "most common use case". The thing is, many devices have tens of different use cases, so the "most common" covers just barely 20% of installations. It is truly the most common, the others are less frequent; but there are many of them.

No more selfballasted c***

Binarix128

View Posts
View Gallery
220V AC 50Hz, NTSC

GoL UCOUT2noI2R__jgPSJUjGRtA
Re: I wonder why the EU developed a letter grade system for lamp efficiency « Reply #2 on: October 31, 2020, 07:36:10 PM » Author: Binarix128
Incandescent bulbs are around the letter C, I wonder if there is any bulb or appliance available with a letter G.
Medved

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: I wonder why the EU developed a letter grade system for lamp efficiency « Reply #3 on: October 31, 2020, 07:49:35 PM » Author: Medved
Around C use to be halogens. Standard incandescents were D..E, but even that was before the first update (the performance charts are continuously updated to reflect technolgy proggress). At that time the CFLs were A
The rough service incandescents sold still today are G, CFLs (~60lm/W) are B or C, only LEDs (~100lm/W) are A now.

Binarix128

View Posts
View Gallery
220V AC 50Hz, NTSC

GoL UCOUT2noI2R__jgPSJUjGRtA
Re: I wonder why the EU developed a letter grade system for lamp efficiency « Reply #4 on: October 31, 2020, 08:45:05 PM » Author: Binarix128
An electric heater would be G or A++? If that chart is modded by how many heat is released, an electric heater that is a 100% efficient would be marked as 0% efficient and a letter G, which makes no sense. Sometimes the line between heat that is waste or useful can get blurred, for example an infrared heating incandescent light should be some letters over a normal incandescent, because the purpose of that product is to get thermal infrared light, if it is marked as a normal incandescent light that would make no sense again.
Medved

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: I wonder why the EU developed a letter grade system for lamp efficiency « Reply #5 on: November 01, 2020, 07:06:31 AM » Author: Medved
An electric heater would be G or A++? If that chart is modded by how many heat is released, an electric heater that is a 100% efficient would be marked as 0% efficient and a letter G, which makes no sense. Sometimes the line between heat that is waste or useful can get blurred, for example an infrared heating incandescent light should be some letters over a normal incandescent, because the purpose of that product is to get thermal infrared light, if it is marked as a normal incandescent light that would make no sense again.

Officially the charts are designed along the official use. So you may have a glass bulb, with a tungsten filament running at 2700K consuming 100W in it, but you sell the same thing as two products:
The first box says "Rough service lamp, 1300lm, EEI=G, 230V, 100W, 1000h"
The second box then reads "Heater lamp, 100W, EEI=B, 230V, 1000h". (The "B" I just made up, dunno the charts for IR heaters).
Both are the same 100W filament lamp, butbecause on one you listed the rough service light source, you have to use charts designated for light sources, the second you listed as a heater, so you have to use charts for heaters.
Even when we are talking about the same design, manufactured on the same  machinery with the same recepie.
You are even not allowed to sell it as a single product for two use cases and e.g. use both ratings at the same box. Not that it would be explicitely banned, but many supervisory agencies see the other label as misleading, arguing "when you buy a light source, the heater sticker is misleading so not allowed to be there". And you arenot allowed to sell "a heated" without corresponding "heater related" sticker.

Bulbman256

View Posts
View Gallery

Mad Max

Bulbman256
Re: I wonder why the EU developed a letter grade system for lamp efficiency « Reply #6 on: November 01, 2020, 10:56:30 AM » Author: Bulbman256
Incandescent bulbs are around the letter C, I wonder if there is any bulb or appliance available with a letter G.

There are a few bulbs with the g rating, i have a red colored cromton pygmy bulb that has that rating but its a decorative lamp so it flied under the radar

Collecting light bulbs since 2012, a madman since birth.

Jovan

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: I wonder why the EU developed a letter grade system for lamp efficiency « Reply #7 on: November 29, 2020, 05:08:17 PM » Author: Jovan
There are a few bulbs with the g rating, i have a red colored cromton pygmy bulb that has that rating but its a decorative lamp so it flied under the radar
Osram Linestra and Philips Philinea are G class.
Print 
© 2005-2024 Lighting-Gallery.net | SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies