Author Topic: Are there any companies still making HID ballasts?  (Read 1020 times)
CreeRSW207

View Posts
View Gallery

Are there any companies still making HID ballasts? « on: December 08, 2020, 05:26:20 PM » Author: CreeRSW207
Due to advance discontinuing their HID ballasts are there any more companies still making them?

Long live the Incandescent streetlights!
Power Company: Eversource
Startup Landscaping/LED retrofit business.

HPSM250R2

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Are there any companies still making HID ballasts? « Reply #1 on: December 08, 2020, 05:34:06 PM » Author: HPSM250R2
Due to advance discontinuing their HID ballasts are there any more companies still making them?

Yes there's still several companies. I ordered some Sola ballasts to sample and they look like pretty nice quality ballasts. Then there's brands like Plusrite, Pacific, and others I'm probably missing. Holophane does appear to make some of their ballasts themselves as I just received a couple fixtures I ordered with brand new Holophane ballasts in them. It even has terminal connections on it. A lot of replacement ballasts have multiple leads coming out of them for various voltages, on their MT ballasts.
CreeRSW207

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Are there any companies still making HID ballasts? « Reply #2 on: December 08, 2020, 08:34:41 PM » Author: CreeRSW207
Yes there's still several companies. I ordered some Sola ballasts to sample and they look like pretty nice quality ballasts. Then there's brands like Plusrite, Pacific, and others I'm probably missing. Holophane does appear to make some of their ballasts themselves as I just received a couple fixtures I ordered with brand new Holophane ballasts in them. It even has terminal connections on it. A lot of replacement ballasts have multiple leads coming out of them for various voltages, on their MT ballasts.
That’s good that us Lighting enthusiasts can still buy them to save and repair HID fixtures!

Long live the Incandescent streetlights!
Power Company: Eversource
Startup Landscaping/LED retrofit business.

HPSM250R2

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Are there any companies still making HID ballasts? « Reply #3 on: December 08, 2020, 08:37:42 PM » Author: HPSM250R2
That’s good that us Lighting enthusiasts can still buy them to save and repair HID fixtures!

Yes it is. For how much longer who knows. All we can do is stock up what we can while we can. Don't wait around and miss out on your chances.
Lumex120

View Posts
View Gallery

/X rated

UCM30tBQDUECOV6VeG5W87Vg
Re: Are there any companies still making HID ballasts? « Reply #4 on: December 08, 2020, 10:10:44 PM » Author: Lumex120
As others have said, most manufacturers are still making HID ballasts thankfully but I'd imagine that's going to change in the next decade. I have been researching possible ways to fabricate my own HID ballasts (the magnetic kind) should they ever be discontinued (and because it would be neat to be able to make low wattage mercury ballasts on demand) but there are some issues I don't know how to get around.

Unofficial LG Discord

joseph_125

View Posts
View Gallery

GoL
Re: Are there any companies still making HID ballasts? « Reply #5 on: December 08, 2020, 11:59:38 PM » Author: joseph_125
Depending on the lamp, 240v ballasts would be significantly easier to make and design as you can away with a reactor type ballast. Perhaps the way to go going forward is to buy small stepup transformers and then pair them up with a reactor. A little chunky compared to a off the shelf solution.

As for which ballast to buy/stock up, I would aim to get the more uncommon wattages first. You can see this with MV where 50w and 75w ballasts are hard to find but the other wattages, especially 175w and 400w are still fairly easy to find.
Mandolin Girl

View Posts
View Gallery

Oil Lamp Addict

Re: Are there any companies still making HID ballasts? « Reply #6 on: December 09, 2020, 09:41:21 AM » Author: Mandolin Girl
There are still a lot of the good old magnetic lumps to be had on eBay.  :wndr:
They will stand the test of time and just keep on going.  8)

Hugs and STUFF Sammi xXx (also in Aberdeen) :love: :oil-ltn:
Published Author ;D
There are two kinds of light  -  the glow that illuminates, and the glare that obscures.
James Thurber
SMILEY ONLY ANSWERS WILL BE DELETED FROM MY POSTS

Binarix128

View Posts
View Gallery
220V AC 50Hz, NTSC

GoL UCOUT2noI2R__jgPSJUjGRtA
Re: Are there any companies still making HID ballasts? « Reply #7 on: December 09, 2020, 09:46:40 AM » Author: Binarix128
A local lighting and electronic supplier here still have Vossloh magnetic HID ballasts, so they are probably still manufacturing them.  :wndr:
Print 
© 2005-2024 Lighting-Gallery.net | SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies