Author Topic: What's the worst you've ever been shocked ?  (Read 9268 times)
wide-lite 1000

View Posts
View Gallery

What's the worst you've ever been shocked ? « on: November 27, 2020, 10:02:21 PM » Author: wide-lite 1000
Over my 52 1/2 years I've been "lit up" quite a few times I can't count the number of 120v "hits" . The more memorable ones :

My 1966 mustang , when I got it I was having trouble getting it to run smoothly, after a few hours of fiddling with the engine I decided to give up for the day . I went to re-install the air cleaner on the still running engine and in the process inadvertently leaned on the distributor. WELL, I quickly found out the rough running problem was the spark plug wires as I actually stalled the engine whilst getting one HELL of a shock !! :o

While working on my Norelco SOX streetlight I accidently brushed the back of my hand into the capacitor terminals! :o 315v!!

When I was in high school , I was trying to trouble shoot my M250/R1 150w S-56 HPS and was unaware my hand was touching the ignitor when I plugged it in !  :o

Lastly , while working on lighting at work , I've been "bit" by 277v a few times ! :o  That HURTS !!

What have YOU done ???
« Last Edit: November 28, 2020, 05:39:59 AM by HomeBrewLamps » Logged

Collector,Hoarder,Pack-rat! Clear mercury Rules!!

Bulbman256

View Posts
View Gallery

Mad Max

Bulbman256
Re: What's the worst you've ever been shocked ? « Reply #1 on: November 27, 2020, 10:17:24 PM » Author: Bulbman256
Over my 14 5/6 years of my life (keeping the fractions around lol :mrg: )I have shocked myself at, i stuck my finger inside of an open socket in my grandma's fringe that was missing a lamp and got shocked, touched an exposed socket and got bit, and i grabbed an unscrewed exposed outlet with the power on because i forgot to unplug it. I also have hurt myself on the peso electric in my light keeper pro. Was your mustang a notchback, fastback or convertible, and was there anything interesting with it?

Collecting light bulbs since 2012, a madman since birth.

wide-lite 1000

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: What's the worst you've ever been shocked ? « Reply #2 on: November 27, 2020, 10:33:23 PM » Author: wide-lite 1000
The Mustang was a plain , nothing special notchback . It had a grand total of 5 options , 289 2bbl V-8 , automatic trans , power steering , heater , (YES, that was an option !!) , and 2-tone upholstery. 

Binarix128

View Posts
View Gallery
220V AC 50Hz, NTSC

GoL UCOUT2noI2R__jgPSJUjGRtA
Re: What's the worst you've ever been shocked ? « Reply #3 on: November 27, 2020, 10:35:21 PM » Author: Binarix128
The only time I got a belt was this year at my 14 years. I was figuring out how to run a ceiling fan motor by connecting wires around. Nothing happened, maybe the motor was EOL, but the 5uF capacitor got changed. Then I manipulated the wires but first I shorted the capacitor for discharging it, but no spark so I continued messing the wiring when I accidentally grabbed the capacitor with both hands and it gave me a 220V belt across the chest.  :poof: It gave me a big scare. But because it was a rather small capacitor it was more like a great zap than anything else. Because the motor was EOL I ended up recycling the parts of the fan and of course the capacitor, so I ended up covering its terminals with tape.  ;D

Edit: once you get the belt you realize you forgot to wear gloves.  ::)
« Last Edit: November 27, 2020, 10:38:14 PM by Binarix128 » Logged
Bulbman256

View Posts
View Gallery

Mad Max

Bulbman256
Re: What's the worst you've ever been shocked ? « Reply #4 on: November 27, 2020, 10:35:51 PM » Author: Bulbman256
The Mustang was a plain , nothing special notchback . It had a grand total of 5 options , 289 2bbl V-8 , automatic trans , power steering , heater , (YES, that was an option !!) , and 2-tone upholstery.
Well the 289 is better then the i-6, and you didn't have to bring the wide light with a generator in the car to keep you warm!

Collecting light bulbs since 2012, a madman since birth.

wide-lite 1000

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: What's the worst you've ever been shocked ? « Reply #5 on: November 27, 2020, 10:49:26 PM » Author: wide-lite 1000
I just couldn't picture a car without a heater ! :poof:  when I lived in Georgia , I'd run the heater during the rain to help to keep the insides of the windows from fogging up.

@ Binarix128 : Capacitors hurt !

joseph_125

View Posts
View Gallery

GoL
Re: What's the worst you've ever been shocked ? « Reply #6 on: November 27, 2020, 10:56:30 PM » Author: joseph_125
Worst was probably that time I shocked myself with a NST a while back. The most recent would be when I got bit by 120v terminal on one of my cassette decks around a month ago.

As for cars without heaters, I didn't even know they made them without heaters. Granted I live in Canada where it actually gets really cold during the winter.
wide-lite 1000

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: What's the worst you've ever been shocked ? « Reply #7 on: November 27, 2020, 11:16:00 PM » Author: wide-lite 1000
Back in the 60's a before , heaters were an option in a lot of cars .

High Intensity

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: What's the worst you've ever been shocked ? « Reply #8 on: November 27, 2020, 11:30:44 PM » Author: High Intensity
The Worst shock of all time was a few months ago when I got zapped by a 2xF40T12 ballast, I had been experimenting with it as a 1xF32T8 preheat ballast when the wire caps on a red and blue wire I was not using had fallen off, so the back of my hand landed on top of those wires and ZAP. It hurt like heck and continued to hurt for a while as there were two burn marks on the back of my hand where the wires landed.

While not totally related, I had an odd dream recently where I got zapped by a string of mini lights, except it caused me to wake up in bed feeling like I had just been zapped. @-@
wide-lite 1000

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: What's the worst you've ever been shocked ? « Reply #9 on: November 27, 2020, 11:34:22 PM » Author: wide-lite 1000
I have been shocked by a set of mini lights ! I tried to replace what I thought was just a burned out clear bulb. WRONG ! It was broken , when I grabbed it , YEOOW !!  :o

Xytrell

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: What's the worst you've ever been shocked ? « Reply #10 on: November 28, 2020, 12:18:21 AM » Author: Xytrell
340VDC through the hand while poking around inside a live ATX power supply hurt the most. Left my hand numb or tingling for several minutes. I've never experienced that with other shocks for some reason. :wndr:

I've also been bit by a flyback transformer once (~15kVDC ~15mA current limit), HeNe laser PSU once (2kV 6mA current limit), ion laser PSU once (190VDC no current limit), 240v mains once or twice, and 120v mains once or twice a year.

I dunno if this counts, but one cold dry winter day, I had just removed the plastic bag liner for a gaylord (cardboard box nearly 2 meters high with a footprint the size of a shipping pallet) that previously held a literal ton of PVC pellets. When the static of handling that enormous bag discharged into the stair railing I touched next, the shock not only hurt my ears, but also left a somewhat deep black pit on my thumb as well.
Fluorescent05

View Posts
View Gallery

Zack

Re: What's the worst you've ever been shocked ? « Reply #11 on: November 28, 2020, 12:31:10 AM » Author: Fluorescent05
I have been shocked multiple times. Here are the ones I can remember:
I was around 6 and I plugged the neutral prong of a lamp cord into an extension cord so that the hot hole was open and the hot prong was off to the side of the extension cord. I wired the end of one wire to the hole and the other wire to the prong. I then wired the other end of each wire to a Leviton brown 1451 residential grade switch. I plugged the extension cord into the wall then flipped the switch a few times. Of course the light turned on and off. Then I accidentally touched an exposed terminal on the side of the switch and got my first electric shock! It was very painful! I then decided to go take the wires out of the extension cord WITHOUT unplugging it and (surprise!) I got a second shock!

Another time when I was about 9 I was at my grandparents' house playing with a 1970s cord that powered their China cabinet. I accidentally touched the hot prong and got a nasty shock.

About 3 years ago I was taking apart a camera with a xenon flash tube and I accidentally brushed the back of my hand against the flash capacitor! It was not fun at 330 volts! The worst part was that I did it multiple times that same day!

Another switch related one: I was testing a Leviton 260-I small toggle snap switch (necessary to mention because unlike most switches, it has terminals on the top and bottom instead of the sides) and I forgot to unplug it before trying to remove it, which resulted in me touching the bottom of the switch right where the terminals were. I was able to pull away fast enough that it was just a scare though.

I can't pretend a stranger is a long awaited friend. -Neil Peart

Cole D.

View Posts
View Gallery

123 V 60 CPS

Dk944Mr-jX4jbnoUUj7xAw
Re: What's the worst you've ever been shocked ? « Reply #12 on: November 28, 2020, 08:57:45 AM » Author: Cole D.
I think I gotten a small shock from a 9V battery before or other D or C cell batteries when playing with electric motors. I never had been shocked at AC current however.

Collect vintage incandescent and fluorescent fixtures. Also like HID lighting and streetlights.

Binarix128

View Posts
View Gallery
220V AC 50Hz, NTSC

GoL UCOUT2noI2R__jgPSJUjGRtA
Re: What's the worst you've ever been shocked ? « Reply #13 on: November 28, 2020, 10:13:42 AM » Author: Binarix128
I think I gotten a small shock from a 9V battery before or other D or C cell batteries when playing with electric motors. I never had been shocked at AC current however.
As far as I know you can't get shocked by 9VDC, but if you touch where you disconnect the motor you will get easily a 200v shock because of the collapse of the magnetic field in the motor. You might get a tingle with a 9V battery if you have an open wound.
HPS_250

View Posts
View Gallery

Long live the HPS and SOX!

UCAjfrNb4v77ybEBBYqxZxiw
Re: What's the worst you've ever been shocked ? « Reply #14 on: November 28, 2020, 10:28:19 AM » Author: HPS_250
Honestly, I haven’t been shocked by AC that many times in my life, so the most recent and worst time I was shocked is this. I had found a cheap PAR30 LED bulb in the garage. It didn’t look damaged and I wasn’t sure where it had come from, so I decided to test it. I didn’t notice that the plastic cover was loose while screwing it in, so just as the bulb lit up the cover came off, sending a live electrical contact into my thumb. I turned off the power quickly, so I mostly just got a cut from the contact pin. I can say that being shocked by DC hurts!!

There aren’t any times I’ve been shocked by AC that are detailed or severe enough to put here.

I’ve always been interested in all kinds of lighting, mainly incandescent and HID, and especially all kinds of sodium lamps (HPS/LPS). I’ll tolerate LED but I’m not a fan of it.
I’m not proud to say that my city has Devolved to LED.

Print 
© 2005-2024 Lighting-Gallery.net | SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies