Author Topic: Where is the weirdest place you have found a switch or outlet in your house?  (Read 7879 times)
Cole D.

View Posts
View Gallery

123 V 60 CPS

Dk944Mr-jX4jbnoUUj7xAw
Re: Where is the weirdest place you have found a switch or outlet in your house? « Reply #45 on: December 25, 2020, 09:55:15 AM » Author: Cole D.
I've seen houses that have floor outlets in the living room for plugging in lamps on end tables of a couch for example.

Collect vintage incandescent and fluorescent fixtures. Also like HID lighting and streetlights.

Fluorescent05

View Posts
View Gallery

Zack

Re: Where is the weirdest place you have found a switch or outlet in your house? « Reply #46 on: December 25, 2020, 11:12:53 AM » Author: Fluorescent05
My grandparents have a floor outlet that they use to plug in a lamp on a nearby table.

I can't pretend a stranger is a long awaited friend. -Neil Peart

Desultory13
Re: Where is the weirdest place you have found a switch or outlet in your house? « Reply #47 on: April 23, 2021, 05:20:20 PM » Author: Desultory13
Anyone have any idea as to why someone would install a typical 120v 15a duplex outlet in the back of the base cabinet under the kitchen counter??
No it isn't for the dishwasher or disposal they have their own outlets.
It was installed during the mid 70s when the house was originally built as I have the blueprints for it. That was before the time of the mini tankless water heaters so why would you need an outlet inside a base cabinet?? If it was a wall cabinet I would think for a light or a microwave but this was in 1974.
Rommie
Administrator

View Posts
View Gallery

Andromeda Ascendant

Re: Where is the weirdest place you have found a switch or outlet in your house? « Reply #48 on: April 23, 2021, 05:23:22 PM » Author: Rommie
This happens a lot over here, judging by some of the Youtube videos by UK electricians. Why they're there is anyone's guess, but sockets can be found in the most unlikely of places, I remember one almost at ceiling level just above a kitchen cabinet. It turned out it was to supply an extractor fan that had long since been removed. Why it was fed from a plug and socket instead of a fused spur nobody knows  ::)

Ria (aka Rommie) in Aberdeen
Administrator, UK & European time zones. Any questions or problems, please feel free to get in touch :love:

"What greater gift than the love of a cat..?" - Charles Dickens
*** No smiley-only replies, please ***

Mandolin Girl

View Posts
View Gallery

Oil Lamp Addict

Re: Where is the weirdest place you have found a switch or outlet in your house? « Reply #49 on: April 23, 2021, 05:36:24 PM » Author: Mandolin Girl
Anyone have any idea as to why someone would install a typical 120v 15a duplex outlet in the back of the base cabinet under the kitchen counter??
No it isn't for the dishwasher or disposal they have their own outlets.
It was installed during the mid 70s when the house was originally built as I have the blueprints for it. That was before the time of the mini tankless water heaters so why would you need an outlet inside a base cabinet?? If it was a wall cabinet I would think for a light or a microwave but this was in 1974.

Microwaves have been around for a lot longer than you might think.  :wndr:  Here is a Wiki article about them, apparently they've been about in one form or another since 1946.!  :poof:

Hugs and STUFF Sammi xXx (also in Aberdeen) :love: :oil-ltn:
Published Author ;D
There are two kinds of light  -  the glow that illuminates, and the glare that obscures.
James Thurber
SMILEY ONLY ANSWERS WILL BE DELETED FROM MY POSTS

wide-lite 1000

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Where is the weirdest place you have found a switch or outlet in your house? « Reply #50 on: April 23, 2021, 09:39:14 PM » Author: wide-lite 1000
My family bought a brand new house in Indiana back in 1975 that had a microwave in it which was installed by the builder .

Collector,Hoarder,Pack-rat! Clear mercury Rules!!

Desultory13
Re: Where is the weirdest place you have found a switch or outlet in your house? « Reply #51 on: April 23, 2021, 09:47:02 PM » Author: Desultory13
Ok I can understand a microwave back in the 70s but still why would there be an outlet inside a kitchen cabinet under the counter??
I do know that a laminate table was extended off of this counter. Maybe cords for a small TV or a radio were routed down to this outlet, so the cords could be hidden?
wide-lite 1000

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Where is the weirdest place you have found a switch or outlet in your house? « Reply #52 on: April 23, 2021, 09:56:50 PM » Author: wide-lite 1000
Another possibility is what my mom called an "Appliance garage" it was a cabinet with a duplex outlet for storing things like the toaster , can opener and other small appliances out of the way until needed. When needed , simply open the cabinet , pull out what you need . When you're done ,just put it back and close the door. No more countertops cluttered with small appliances.

Collector,Hoarder,Pack-rat! Clear mercury Rules!!

Desultory13
Re: Where is the weirdest place you have found a switch or outlet in your house? « Reply #53 on: April 23, 2021, 10:02:41 PM » Author: Desultory13
Another possibility is what my mom called an "Appliance garage" it was a cabinet with a duplex outlet for storing things like the toaster , can opener and other small appliances out of the way until needed. When needed , simply open the cabinet , pull out what you need . When you're done ,just put it back and close the door. No more countertops cluttered with small appliances.
Now that truly makes sense! Best idea I've heard of in awhile! I bet that's what this outlet is for. I'm going to have to try that in my kitchen.
LightsoftheWest

View Posts
View Gallery

SRP for life.

streetlightian
Re: Where is the weirdest place you have found a switch or outlet in your house? « Reply #54 on: April 23, 2021, 10:27:26 PM » Author: LightsoftheWest
My grandparents have one I their kitchen, and that's the exact name I call theirs! :lol:

LG's #1 North American light fixture identifier

Mandolin Girl

View Posts
View Gallery

Oil Lamp Addict

Re: Where is the weirdest place you have found a switch or outlet in your house? « Reply #55 on: April 24, 2021, 08:19:49 AM » Author: Mandolin Girl
Mummy used to have an automatic can opener, it was called daddy, I don't think he would have taken kindly to being kept in a cupboard...  :mrg:

Hugs and STUFF Sammi xXx (also in Aberdeen) :love: :oil-ltn:
Published Author ;D
There are two kinds of light  -  the glow that illuminates, and the glare that obscures.
James Thurber
SMILEY ONLY ANSWERS WILL BE DELETED FROM MY POSTS

Rommie
Administrator

View Posts
View Gallery

Andromeda Ascendant

Re: Where is the weirdest place you have found a switch or outlet in your house? « Reply #56 on: April 24, 2021, 08:54:12 AM » Author: Rommie
Mummy used to have an automatic can opener, it was called daddy, I don't think he would have taken kindly to being kept in a cupboard...  :mrg:
GROAN...

Don't tell me I have to start with the  :slap: again..? :mrg:

Ria (aka Rommie) in Aberdeen
Administrator, UK & European time zones. Any questions or problems, please feel free to get in touch :love:

"What greater gift than the love of a cat..?" - Charles Dickens
*** No smiley-only replies, please ***

Print 
© 2005-2024 Lighting-Gallery.net | SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies