Author Topic: Why were 2 lamp street lanterns popular in Eastern Europe  (Read 2238 times)
WorldwideHIDCollectorUSA

View Posts
View Gallery

HID, LPS, and preheat fluorescents forever!!!!!!

Worldwide HIDCollectorUSA
Why were 2 lamp street lanterns popular in Eastern Europe « on: November 15, 2020, 12:44:01 AM » Author: WorldwideHIDCollectorUSA
Whenever I look at videos of Eastern European street lanterns, I seem to notice that there are many examples that use 2 lamps rather than one. I wonder why a number of Eastern European countries seem to embrace 2 lamp street lights unlike the US?

Desire to collect various light bulbs (especially HID), control gear, and fixtures from around the world.

DISCLAIMER: THE EXPERIMENTS THAT I CONDUCT INVOLVING UNUSUAL LAMP/BALLAST COMBINATIONS SHOULD NOT BE ATTEMPTED UNLESS YOU HAVE THE PROPER KNOWLEDGE. I AM NOT RESPONSIBLE FOR ANY INJURIES.

WorldwideHIDCollectorUSA

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Why were 2 lamp street lanterns popular in Eastern Europe « Reply #1 on: November 15, 2020, 12:45:14 AM » Author: WorldwideHIDCollectorUSA
I accidentally put this post under the lamps section and would like it moved to the lanterns section.

Desire to collect various light bulbs (especially HID), control gear, and fixtures from around the world.

DISCLAIMER: THE EXPERIMENTS THAT I CONDUCT INVOLVING UNUSUAL LAMP/BALLAST COMBINATIONS SHOULD NOT BE ATTEMPTED UNLESS YOU HAVE THE PROPER KNOWLEDGE. I AM NOT RESPONSIBLE FOR ANY INJURIES.

funkybulb

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Why were 2 lamp street lanterns popular in Eastern Europe « Reply #2 on: November 15, 2020, 02:05:07 AM » Author: funkybulb
  If u want get Technical here we have lantern but u find mostly
  Those in parking lots  those Stacked cubes then we Have  16
 Lamp fuxture called Acre of light containing 4x BT 56 lamps per side.   Here most of it had to due with our autotransfomer ballast.  It just eaiser to wind  it for high wattage lantern as such as Westy OV35, OV50,  GE M1000,  and the AEL 327  sufice lighting large interchange here.  Two lamp mercury ballast is made but made for two remote ballasted street lights,  such as two ov 20s on the pole. 

No LED gadgets, spins too slowly.  Gotta  love preheat and MV. let the lights keep my meter spinning.

WorldwideHIDCollectorUSA

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Why were 2 lamp street lanterns popular in Eastern Europe « Reply #3 on: November 15, 2020, 06:43:21 AM » Author: WorldwideHIDCollectorUSA
This reply does not answer the main question on this thread. The original question is to explain why parts of Eastern Europe adopted 2 bulb street lanterns such as this one where a single lantern uses 2 bulbs in it:

https://youtu.be/gWpVLT5JHlU
« Last Edit: November 15, 2020, 06:44:58 AM by WorldwideHIDCollectorUSA » Logged

wide-lite 1000

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Why were 2 lamp street lanterns popular in Eastern Europe « Reply #4 on: November 15, 2020, 10:04:15 AM » Author: wide-lite 1000
I you scroll all the way to the bottom of the page, there is a box to click on so you can move the topic where you want it .

Collector,Hoarder,Pack-rat! Clear mercury Rules!!

sol

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Why were 2 lamp street lanterns popular in Eastern Europe « Reply #5 on: November 15, 2020, 10:45:14 AM » Author: sol
I believe the two lamp fixtures were intended as a way to dim them late at night by switching off one lamp.
Rommie
Administrator

View Posts
View Gallery

Andromeda Ascendant

Re: Why were 2 lamp street lanterns popular in Eastern Europe « Reply #6 on: November 15, 2020, 11:36:38 AM » Author: Rommie
I accidentally put this post under the lamps section and would like it moved to the lanterns section.
I've moved it for you.

Ria (aka Rommie) in Aberdeen
Administrator, UK & European time zones. Any questions or problems, please feel free to get in touch :love:

"What greater gift than the love of a cat..?" - Charles Dickens
*** No smiley-only replies, please ***

joseph_125

View Posts
View Gallery

GoL
Re: Why were 2 lamp street lanterns popular in Eastern Europe « Reply #7 on: November 15, 2020, 03:03:48 PM » Author: joseph_125
I can think of a few reasons.

One is to allow for operation during the overnight hours (12am - 6am) with only one lamp to save energy and lower light levels when the streets are less busy. This concept was also used in some parts of North America. The triple 700w MV (later 400w MH) Hollywood special luminaires only kept one lamp lit during the overnight hours. Other places used poles with arms that allowed up to 3 cobraheads to be mounted in the same direction instead of multi lamp luminaires.

The other is to allow a common lamp wattage. For example residential streets can be lit with a single 125w MV lamp per luminaire while commercial districts can be lit with two 125w MV lamps instead of having to stock the  lamp and gear for 250w MV.

Finally it allows the mixing of light sources in the same luminaire. I believe some places had luminaries that were designed to burn MV and SOX.
« Last Edit: November 15, 2020, 04:22:21 PM by joseph_125 » Logged
Binarix128

View Posts
View Gallery
220V AC 50Hz, NTSC

GoL UCOUT2noI2R__jgPSJUjGRtA
Re: Why were 2 lamp street lanterns popular in Eastern Europe « Reply #8 on: November 15, 2020, 03:39:50 PM » Author: Binarix128
I also noticed that in Russia, Poland and other countries they use two fixtures in a single pole.  :wndr:
WorldwideHIDCollectorUSA

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Why were 2 lamp street lanterns popular in Eastern Europe « Reply #9 on: November 15, 2020, 04:17:22 PM » Author: WorldwideHIDCollectorUSA
I also noticed that in Russia, Poland and other countries they use two fixtures in a single pole.  :wndr:

Do you mean 2 bulbs per fixture? In many countries, there are many street lighting columns that use 2 lanterns per pole.

HPS_250

View Posts
View Gallery

Long live the HPS and SOX!

UCAjfrNb4v77ybEBBYqxZxiw
Re: Why were 2 lamp street lanterns popular in Eastern Europe « Reply #10 on: November 15, 2020, 07:55:31 PM » Author: HPS_250
I don’t know a lot about European lighting, so I can’t say that my answer is perfectly correct. I would guess that fixtures either have two lamps to: 1, make them twice as bright, or 2, allow half of the fixture to be controlled independently to conserve electricity.

I’ve always been interested in all kinds of lighting, mainly incandescent and HID, and especially all kinds of sodium lamps (HPS/LPS). I’ll tolerate LED but I’m not a fan of it.
I’m not proud to say that my city has Devolved to LED.

Michael

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Why were 2 lamp street lanterns popular in Eastern Europe « Reply #11 on: November 22, 2020, 12:50:41 AM » Author: Michael
Why only in eastern Europe?
In Switzerland many roads were lit by two lamp streetlights back in the days. Most of them were  MV+SOX format but also fixtures with two MV and bit rare MV+HPS or two HPS lamps in one fixture.

Western Germany also had such installations and there are/were some known in France.
Print 
© 2005-2024 Lighting-Gallery.net | SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies