Author Topic: Instantly restriking high bays in music video  (Read 2176 times)
WorldwideHIDCollectorUSA

View Posts
View Gallery

HID, LPS, and preheat fluorescents forever!!!!!!

Worldwide HIDCollectorUSA
Instantly restriking high bays in music video « on: December 04, 2020, 10:58:42 PM » Author: WorldwideHIDCollectorUSA
If you watch the following music video, notice what happens to the high bay fixtures.

Here is the video:

https://youtu.be/mk48xRzuNvA

Desire to collect various light bulbs (especially HID), control gear, and fixtures from around the world.

DISCLAIMER: THE EXPERIMENTS THAT I CONDUCT INVOLVING UNUSUAL LAMP/BALLAST COMBINATIONS SHOULD NOT BE ATTEMPTED UNLESS YOU HAVE THE PROPER KNOWLEDGE. I AM NOT RESPONSIBLE FOR ANY INJURIES.

wide-lite 1000

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Instantly restriking high bays in music video « Reply #1 on: December 04, 2020, 11:07:50 PM » Author: wide-lite 1000
I say they're either CFL or LED .

Collector,Hoarder,Pack-rat! Clear mercury Rules!!

joseph_125

View Posts
View Gallery

GoL
Re: Instantly restriking high bays in music video « Reply #2 on: December 05, 2020, 12:07:47 AM » Author: joseph_125
They seem to have a bit of a fade out when switching off. Might have been wired for high wattage incandescent for the purpose of flashing them like that. Reason why I said incandescent instead of LED is that the video is from 2012, before screw in LEDs with enough light output were common.

That being said instant restrike HID lamps and ballasts do exist, they just use a higher voltage ignitor to allow for instant restrikes.
Lumex120

View Posts
View Gallery

/X rated

UCM30tBQDUECOV6VeG5W87Vg
Re: Instantly restriking high bays in music video « Reply #3 on: December 05, 2020, 01:25:06 AM » Author: Lumex120
They seem to have a bit of a fade out when switching off. Might have been wired for high wattage incandescent for the purpose of flashing them like that. Reason why I said incandescent instead of LED is that the video is from 2012, before screw in LEDs with enough light output were common.

That being said instant restrike HID lamps and ballasts do exist, they just use a higher voltage ignitor to allow for instant restrikes.
It's weird to think that this wasn't that long ago (ok, 8 years is a while) but back then, high wattage incandescent would have been the most likely option here.

Unofficial LG Discord

Medved

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Instantly restriking high bays in music video « Reply #4 on: December 06, 2020, 04:10:44 PM » Author: Medved
There are HID ballasts with an "arc keeper" feature: A battery (or a supercap) backup HF generator maintaining at least some discharge (very low current, just barely maintaining the ionization) within the arc tube during the brief power outage, so the arc can then restrike instantly once the main power is restored.
In "pre-LED" it was offered as an alternative to the "backup halogen" capsule.

No more selfballasted c***

Binarix128

View Posts
View Gallery
220V AC 50Hz, NTSC

GoL UCOUT2noI2R__jgPSJUjGRtA
Re: Instantly restriking high bays in music video « Reply #5 on: December 06, 2020, 04:11:41 PM » Author: Binarix128
They are probably LED or CFL, but not HID. The fade in the turn on and off is probably caused by the big smoothing capacitors of the power supplies.
Print 
© 2005-2024 Lighting-Gallery.net | SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies