Author Topic: Any "Fan Collectors" here?  (Read 1997 times)
Metal Halide Boy

View Posts
View Gallery

Any "Fan Collectors" here? « on: December 08, 2020, 07:59:43 AM » Author: Metal Halide Boy
For a long time I have been intrested in collecting fans, espescally box fans. I am also intrested in having the fans work! So that`s why almost all of them work. The nice thing is, most of them have shaded-pole induction motors, wich are generally very reliable. The main problem I generally have to fix is siezed bearings. However, the shaded-pole motors are rather inefficient, and after running for a short time, I often find the fan`s thin cord getting rather warm.

The first picture is of one of my two complete furnace blowers, my other one has this old motor wich is made by a company I have never heard of before, the second picture is of my homemade box fan, the third is of my "Fresh`nd Aire" fan, wich is my favorite, and the last is my GE fan, with non orignal handle.
DieselNut

View Posts
View Gallery

John

jonathon.graves johng917 GeorgiaJohn
Re: Any "Fan Collectors" here? « Reply #1 on: December 15, 2020, 01:22:11 PM » Author: DieselNut
I have never considered myself a "collector" of fans but I do have several of them, including a few vintage ceiling fans, some squirrel cage fans of various sizes, a portable 36" 3 phase industrial fan, a 48" industrial wall fan i plan to install in my shop wall, some old chicken house interior circulation fans, some little old desk fans and various other air blowing goodies floating around the farm.  Hell maybe I am a collector and did not know it, just like my lighting and diesel engines?  :lol:

Preheat Fluorescents forever!
I love diesel engines, rural/farm life and vintage lighting!

Metal Halide Boy

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Any "Fan Collectors" here? « Reply #2 on: December 17, 2020, 08:11:24 AM » Author: Metal Halide Boy
I have never considered myself a "collector" of fans but I do have several of them, including a few vintage ceiling fans, some squirrel cage fans of various sizes, a portable 36" 3 phase industrial fan, a 48" industrial wall fan i plan to install in my shop wall, some old chicken house interior circulation fans, some little old desk fans and various other air blowing goodies floating around the farm.  Hell maybe I am a collector and did not know it, just like my lighting and diesel engines?  :lol:

Cool! I really like squrrel cage fans, and my favorites are the belt drive ones used in old furnaces. I don`t have one, but hope to get one someday.
Metal Halide Boy

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Any "Fan Collectors" here? « Reply #3 on: December 28, 2020, 08:29:24 AM » Author: Metal Halide Boy
I have a belt drive one now! It was a gift from my same uncle  who gave me these. This blower is 120v, too!
desktoptrashcan

View Posts
View Gallery

theroadrunner556
Re: Any "Fan Collectors" here? « Reply #4 on: January 12, 2021, 12:51:21 AM » Author: desktoptrashcan
Sorry for the bump, but yes! In fact, I am a part of the Antique Fan Collectors Association!  :D
Metal Halide Boy

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Any "Fan Collectors" here? « Reply #5 on: January 12, 2021, 08:27:15 AM » Author: Metal Halide Boy
I`m not sure most of my fans are "Antuque"! By the way, I knew my uncle had some belt drive blowers and I really wanted one, so I asked him and he gave me one! He is very kind.
Walter Knox

View Posts
View Gallery

@WalterKnox
Re: Any "Fan Collectors" here? « Reply #6 on: February 05, 2021, 09:31:52 AM » Author: Walter Knox
I would not say I collect them, but i do have probably close to 30 desk fans and like 15 box fans, I don't go out looking for them but when I find one that looks like it needs to be rescued or is too good of a deal to pass up i get it. most of them are from the 50s or before, but I have some up to the 80s. the old ones just do their job so much better and last so much longer than the new ones, and I cannot see anything like that thrown out. I would like to be a member of the antique fan collectors association, I am a guest member i guess, i don't like the fact that you have to pay to be a member, and if you do not pay you are not allowed to view certain things or reply to anyone else's posts. I can see maybe making some exclusive material or taking donations, because I am sure people would donate to them, but they make it so you have to pay to be able to use the site at all pretty much. I mean,I for one do not have money to spare, especially just for using a website, but i am sure people who would most likely would donate as well, but the people who don't pay basically can not use the site.
thelightingman

View Posts
View Gallery
All lighting except LED rules!

Re: Any "Fan Collectors" here? « Reply #7 on: March 13, 2021, 03:13:30 AM » Author: thelightingman
I am a fan collector myself. I have 50-55 fans the last time I counted. The latest addition to my collection was the blower fan out of my furnace because the hest exchanger and inducer were broken so I took the blower out of it and I am still trying to get the inducer out.

I think HPS, MV, and MH rule! :mv: :mvc: :hps: :emh: Ban LED instead! :eoled:

Metal Halide Boy

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Any "Fan Collectors" here? « Reply #8 on: March 13, 2021, 10:22:44 AM » Author: Metal Halide Boy
I am a fan collector myself. I have 50-55 fans the last time I counted. The latest addition to my collection was the blower fan out of my furnace because the hest exchanger and inducer were broken so I took the blower out of it and I am still trying to get the inducer out.
I bet I have that many fans! But I haven`t counted it a LOOOOOOOONG time, so who knows?
HomeBrewLamps
Administrator

View Posts
View Gallery

SodiumVapor 105843202020668111118 UCpGClK_9OH8N4QkD1fp-jNw majorpayne1226 187567902@N04/
Re: Any "Fan Collectors" here? « Reply #9 on: March 15, 2021, 01:34:54 AM » Author: HomeBrewLamps
I'm not really a collector unless it stands out to me. This one stood out to me in an abandoned factory. It is a beast. It spins up to full speed in 1 second and pushes air like a tornado.

~Owen

:colorbulb: Scavenger, Urban Explorer, Lighting Enthusiast and Creator of homebrewlamps 8) :colorbulb:

Print 
© 2005-2024 Lighting-Gallery.net | SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies