Author Topic: What are examples of common misconceptions about lighting?  (Read 12950 times)
joseph_125

View Posts
View Gallery

GoL
Re: What are examples of common misconceptions about lighting? « Reply #45 on: December 23, 2020, 07:18:17 PM » Author: joseph_125
I feel like over here HID is still available for the time being but is being treated like MV streetlights and magnetic T12 fluorescent fixtures in the 2000s. IE still available as a special order item from lighting retailers and not really used for new installations or marketed but is still available for a small number of users.

WorldwideHIDCollectorUSA

View Posts
View Gallery

HID, LPS, and preheat fluorescents forever!!!!!!

Worldwide HIDCollectorUSA
Re: What are examples of common misconceptions about lighting? « Reply #46 on: December 23, 2020, 07:25:23 PM » Author: WorldwideHIDCollectorUSA
Is it also true that another misconception about HID lighting is that people often use operating wattage to determine whether a HID lamp is being overdriven or underdriven while current should be the determining factor for whether HID lamps are operating properly.

Desire to collect various light bulbs (especially HID), control gear, and fixtures from around the world.

DISCLAIMER: THE EXPERIMENTS THAT I CONDUCT INVOLVING UNUSUAL LAMP/BALLAST COMBINATIONS SHOULD NOT BE ATTEMPTED UNLESS YOU HAVE THE PROPER KNOWLEDGE. I AM NOT RESPONSIBLE FOR ANY INJURIES.

sox35
Re: What are examples of common misconceptions about lighting? « Reply #47 on: December 24, 2020, 05:35:44 AM » Author: sox35
No. Sometimes people talk about lamp operating voltage, but it is true to say the current is the more critical component. However both lamp current and voltage are important. Some HPS lamps are a case in point; many US ones have 55V arc tubes but the UK/EU ones have 100V tubes, for the same lamp wattage.
WorldwideHIDCollectorUSA

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: What are examples of common misconceptions about lighting? « Reply #48 on: December 24, 2020, 02:18:08 PM » Author: WorldwideHIDCollectorUSA
So, in that case, assuming that wattage is the most important component is wrong.

Desire to collect various light bulbs (especially HID), control gear, and fixtures from around the world.

DISCLAIMER: THE EXPERIMENTS THAT I CONDUCT INVOLVING UNUSUAL LAMP/BALLAST COMBINATIONS SHOULD NOT BE ATTEMPTED UNLESS YOU HAVE THE PROPER KNOWLEDGE. I AM NOT RESPONSIBLE FOR ANY INJURIES.

sox35
Re: What are examples of common misconceptions about lighting? « Reply #49 on: December 24, 2020, 02:32:02 PM » Author: sox35
It's inadvisable to say any one component is the most important; voltage, current and wattage are all interlinked.
« Last Edit: December 24, 2020, 02:51:29 PM by sox35 » Logged
WorldwideHIDCollectorUSA

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: What are examples of common misconceptions about lighting? « Reply #50 on: December 24, 2020, 02:37:42 PM » Author: WorldwideHIDCollectorUSA
I have seen an Australian bulb collector who used an American spec 70w S62 HPS lamp on a European 70w HPS/MH choke. He was thinking that since the lamp was 70 watts, that it should have no problems on the European choke.
« Last Edit: December 24, 2020, 02:39:28 PM by WorldwideHIDCollectorUSA » Logged

sox35
Re: What are examples of common misconceptions about lighting? « Reply #51 on: December 24, 2020, 02:50:32 PM » Author: sox35
Different arc tube voltage. It's unlikely to run up fully.

As I have said many, many times - use the correct ballast for the lamp and the operating parameters will automatically be correct. Only use a different one if the required one is not available; that does NOT mean simply you can't afford it - if it's available for sale then get it, even if you have to save up and import it, as I have done on several occasions to get US ballasts, and an inverter to run them on.

If the correct ballast is pure unobtanium, such as the one for the 200W SLI/H lamp, then by all means experiment to find the best match, but running lamps on the wrong ballasts when the correct ones can be obtained is just silly.

That's my personal opinion, and I'm not saying everyone has to agree with me.  If you want to play around with different lamp/ballast combinations then fine, but if it all goes wrong and you destroy a rare lamp, then don't say you weren't warned.
« Last Edit: December 24, 2020, 02:52:46 PM by sox35 » Logged
WorldwideHIDCollectorUSA

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: What are examples of common misconceptions about lighting? « Reply #52 on: December 25, 2020, 12:18:29 AM » Author: WorldwideHIDCollectorUSA
Here is the video for the US 70w HPS lamp being run on European 70w HPS gear:

https://youtu.be/LbtlMLaXD0g

AngryHorse

View Posts
View Gallery

Rich, Coaster junkie!

Re: What are examples of common misconceptions about lighting? « Reply #53 on: December 25, 2020, 08:39:54 AM » Author: AngryHorse
Different arc tube voltage. It's unlikely to run up fully.

As I have said many, many times - use the correct ballast for the lamp and the operating parameters will automatically be correct. Only use a different one if the required one is not available; that does NOT mean simply you can't afford it - if it's available for sale then get it, even if you have to save up and import it, as I have done on several occasions to get US ballasts, and an inverter to run them on.

If the correct ballast is pure unobtanium, such as the one for the 200W SLI/H lamp, then by all means experiment to find the best match, but running lamps on the wrong ballasts when the correct ones can be obtained is just silly.

That's my personal opinion, and I'm not saying everyone has to agree with me.  If you want to play around with different lamp/ballast combinations then fine, but if it all goes wrong and you destroy a rare lamp, then don't say you weren't warned.
Technically it takes a while to destroy a lamp, one of the biggest wacky experiments I’ve done is to run an 18 watt SOX on a 400 watt MV ballast, incredibly it actually started and ran!, no explosion, however after two minutes or so it started to change the shape of the tube!!
I reckon the only way you can actually destroy a lamp instantly is to put it on direct mains from the get go?

Current: UK 230V, 50Hz
Power provider: e.on energy
Street lighting in our town: Philips UniStreet LED (gen 1)
Longest serving LED in service at home, (hour count): Energetic mini clear globe: 55,394 hrs @ 1/6/24

Welcome to OBLIVION

sox35
Re: What are examples of common misconceptions about lighting? « Reply #54 on: December 25, 2020, 08:46:17 AM » Author: sox35
Yeah, you're right, but it just goes against the grain to me to deliberately run a lamp other than on its correct ballast. It's the perfectionist in me, I suppose. I've done it on occasion, but only when no other option was possible.
AngryHorse

View Posts
View Gallery

Rich, Coaster junkie!

Re: What are examples of common misconceptions about lighting? « Reply #55 on: December 25, 2020, 09:28:02 AM » Author: AngryHorse
Yeah, bare in mind though this was a EOL knackered old 18 watt SOX, I would  never do it to a new one!
But it is quite surprising how much punishment they will take!
I’ve seen 70 watt halide lamps run on 1KW SON gear gear and all they do is cut out when they get too hot!
But if you’re indeed running them for nostalgia or as ‘useable’ lighting at home, then yes try to match the lamps with their correct gear.

Current: UK 230V, 50Hz
Power provider: e.on energy
Street lighting in our town: Philips UniStreet LED (gen 1)
Longest serving LED in service at home, (hour count): Energetic mini clear globe: 55,394 hrs @ 1/6/24

Welcome to OBLIVION

WorldwideHIDCollectorUSA

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: What are examples of common misconceptions about lighting? « Reply #56 on: February 22, 2021, 02:11:16 AM » Author: WorldwideHIDCollectorUSA
Another misconception about lighting is that many people who do not live in North American countries think that North American countries such as the US and Canada only have 120v mains available in all applications. However, that is wrong. In fact, North American countries use a wide variety of mains voltages for various applications. These mains voltages include 208v, 240v, 277v, and 480v in both the US and Canada while 347v and 600v mains are almost exclusively used in Canada. In Mexico, there is 127v, 220v, 254v, and 440v mains supplies over there. In fact, the 120v supplies commonly associated with North American countries is mostly in domestic applications, but there are some commercial and industrial applications for using 120v mains as well.

WorldwideHIDCollectorUSA

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: What are examples of common misconceptions about lighting? « Reply #57 on: February 25, 2021, 03:50:03 AM » Author: WorldwideHIDCollectorUSA
In addition, another common misconception about lighting is that HID lamps of the same wattage are interchangeable with each other. In some cases, this is true (such as the interchangeability of most North American metal halide lamps and mercury vapor lamps of their same wattage counterparts) while in other cases, same wattage HID lamps are not interchangeable with each other (as in the case with low wattage North American high pressure sodium lamps and metal halide lamps of the same wattage).

dor123

View Posts
View Gallery

Other loves are computers, office equipment, A/Cs

Re: What are examples of common misconceptions about lighting? « Reply #58 on: February 25, 2021, 05:28:56 AM » Author: dor123
During the CFL era of the end of the first decade of the 2000's in Israel, it was claimed that CFL produces harmful UV radiation and that sitting under CFL light for 1 hour within 30cm distance from the lamp is equal to exposing to the solar UV spectrum and can cause cancer: Link .
The Israeli people once also called fluorescent lamps "Neon lamps".
When people around the world (Especially the American and the Israeli people), calling automotive MH lamps "Xenon" or "Xenon HID", and even thinks that these lamps are the same xenon arc lamps used in cinema projectors and searchlights (Aka as if they contains pure xenon only, while ignoring the presence of the mercury and especially the halides inside the arctube).
When the Israeli people prefers integral LED fixtures rather than E14 or E27 fixtures with replaceable LED lamps.

I"m don't speak English well, and rely on online translating to write in this site.
Please forgive me if my choice of my words looks like offensive, while that isn't my intention.

I only working with the international date format (dd.mm.yyyy).

I lives in Israel, which is a 220-240V, 50hz country.

WorldwideHIDCollectorUSA

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: What are examples of common misconceptions about lighting? « Reply #59 on: May 07, 2021, 04:18:47 AM » Author: WorldwideHIDCollectorUSA
I also have noticed that in some countries, especially Germany, there are some people who often think that metal halide lamps are the same thing as halogen lamps. In reality a halogen lamp is an incandescent lamp consisting of a tungsten filament surrounded by a halogen filled quartz tube, while a metal halide lamp is actually a high intensity discharge lamp that consists of an arc tube filled with mercury and metallic halogen additives to increase the color rendering.

Print 
© 2005-2024 Lighting-Gallery.net | SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies