Author Topic: What are the electrical specs for PL-L CFL fluorescent lamps?  (Read 3688 times)
Ash

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: What are the electrical specs for PL-L CFL fluorescent lamps? « Reply #15 on: December 24, 2020, 04:41:59 PM » Author: Ash
Would adding a dedicated anode (a stick extended in front of the cathode) help to make such lamp 50Hz compatible ?
WorldwideHIDCollectorUSA

View Posts
View Gallery

HID, LPS, and preheat fluorescents forever!!!!!!

Worldwide HIDCollectorUSA
Re: What are the electrical specs for PL-L CFL fluorescent lamps? « Reply #16 on: December 25, 2020, 12:07:01 AM » Author: WorldwideHIDCollectorUSA
Would adding a dedicated anode (a stick extended in front of the cathode) help to make such lamp 50Hz compatible ?

Can this same technique also work on 60hz circuits?

Desire to collect various light bulbs (especially HID), control gear, and fixtures from around the world.

DISCLAIMER: THE EXPERIMENTS THAT I CONDUCT INVOLVING UNUSUAL LAMP/BALLAST COMBINATIONS SHOULD NOT BE ATTEMPTED UNLESS YOU HAVE THE PROPER KNOWLEDGE. I AM NOT RESPONSIBLE FOR ANY INJURIES.

WorldwideHIDCollectorUSA

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: What are the electrical specs for PL-L CFL fluorescent lamps? « Reply #17 on: December 27, 2020, 02:25:44 PM » Author: WorldwideHIDCollectorUSA
Is 39w PL-L the same as 36w PL-L and 27w PL-L the same as 24w PL-L?

Desire to collect various light bulbs (especially HID), control gear, and fixtures from around the world.

DISCLAIMER: THE EXPERIMENTS THAT I CONDUCT INVOLVING UNUSUAL LAMP/BALLAST COMBINATIONS SHOULD NOT BE ATTEMPTED UNLESS YOU HAVE THE PROPER KNOWLEDGE. I AM NOT RESPONSIBLE FOR ANY INJURIES.

James

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: What are the electrical specs for PL-L CFL fluorescent lamps? « Reply #18 on: December 28, 2020, 09:46:12 AM » Author: James
Yes I do think the addition of anodes would make a big improvement for 50/60Hz use - same as how those devices are also essential for the higher loaded linear fluorescents.  However there is not so much space to fit those into the slim T6 tubes of these lamps.
Ash

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: What are the electrical specs for PL-L CFL fluorescent lamps? « Reply #19 on: December 28, 2020, 04:24:54 PM » Author: Ash
There are the lead wires with folded ends, in which the filament is pinched. One of them can be just continued to a stick in front of the filament (so the pinch is not in the end of the wire)
WorldwideHIDCollectorUSA

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: What are the electrical specs for PL-L CFL fluorescent lamps? « Reply #20 on: October 27, 2021, 07:01:42 PM » Author: WorldwideHIDCollectorUSA
So why in the US, rapid-start ballasts are used for these electronic ballasted only PL-L?

I think that 40w PL-L lamps were first used in North America was why there were magnetic rapid start ballasts intended for them.

musictomyeyes

View Posts
View Gallery

FPL55EX is different than FT55W/2G11 (F55BX, FT55DL, PL-L 55W) « Reply #21 on: March 08, 2022, 07:23:39 PM » Author: musictomyeyes
The "Japanese style" FPL55EX is electrically different than "the west's" FT55W/2G11 (NEMA).  Men of God brought to light a source which specifies FPL55EX arc current is 670 mA.

https://www.hotalux.com/products/_1833.html?p_encd=06155128
きさ区分:55形
光源色(光色):温白色
相関色温度(K):3500
平均演色評価数:Ra84
全光束(定格)(lm):4500
定格ランプ電力(W)定格:55
消費効率(lm/W):81.8
ランプ電流(A)定格:0.67
定格寿命(時間):9000
管径φ(mm):20
全長(mm): 557
質量(g):170
口金:GY10q-7

The NEMA FT55W/2G11 (GE High Output Biax® F55BX, OSRAM SYLVANIA DULUX® FT55DL, Philips PL-L 55W) which most of us Lighting-Gallery.net members would be familiar with, is rated 101 V 550 mA (thank you, James!).  The Japanese (Hitachi, Mitsubishi, NEC, Panasonic, Toshiba) FPL55EX lamp, though of roughly similar shape and size, apparently is rated 670 mA.

Two decades ago, the aquarium hobby lighting market was shifting away from T12 lamps to T5HO and "Power Compact" (PC) lamps.  There were two most common Power Compact formats: "Panasonic style" with "square pin" bases/sockets (GY10q), and "GE" or "German style" with "straight pin" base/socket (2G11).  The lamps, and fixtures/luminaires, were variously labelled and rated for "55W" or "65W" lamps.  Some were even "slash" rated as both power levels, 55/65.

I wondered (and surely so did others):  What is the difference between the two?  Is there a difference?  Are they the same, or are they compatible ("close enough")?  If they are more-or-less arbitrary nominal ratings, then why does this brand specify only one type?  If I use the other type of PC lamp, will it degrade quickly?  Can I use both power ratings of PC lamps together, or will that burn-out the power gear?

I think this bit of information answers the question: they're all fifty-five watt!  55 W, all of it!  The custom-label aquarium lamps (specialty products for narrow audiences) were sourced from various manufacturers.  The thicker tube (T6) lamps were 55W @ 670mA, while the thinner (T5) tubes were made to be driven @ 550mA.  I guess: the (thinner/T5) FT55W lamps, when connected to a 670mA lamp driver, would operate at approximately 65 watt.  (A decent overdrive, Power Compact!)  Conversely, I guess the Japanese-made thicker/"Panasonic style"/FPL55EX lamps would be underdriven at approximately 45 watt, on a 550mA power unit.

Well today at last, after subject PC aquarium lighting has been obsoleted/outmoded by LED, I found what I think is an explanation.

edit: And thank you too WorldwideHIDCollectorUSA, for another arc current spec. reference.

Following are some examples of confusion and mixed terms and nominal power numerals.

https://www.petco.com/shop/en/petcostore/category/fish/fish-tank-hoods-lighting/replacement-aquarium-bulbs/power-compact-bulbs

https://www.reefshops.com/65-watt-power-compact-light-bulb-square-pin-aquarium.html

https://www.liverocknreef.com/catalog/-55-65-watt-power-compact-bulbs-290-1.html

https://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums/f24/can-i-use-55watt-bulbs-in-place-of-65-watt-bulbs-272250.html

http://www.reefsanctuary.com/forum/index.php?threads/55w-versus-65w-coralife.43224
"It is truly amazing the amount of misinformation in this hobby."
« Last Edit: March 08, 2022, 11:22:48 PM by musictomyeyes » Logged
WorldwideHIDCollectorUSA

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: What are the electrical specs for PL-L CFL fluorescent lamps? « Reply #22 on: March 08, 2022, 07:54:08 PM » Author: WorldwideHIDCollectorUSA
According to this Panasonic catalog, they list their 55w FPL lamps as having a current of 0.67a:

https://panasonic.jp/catalog/ctlg/lamp/lamp.pdf

Print 
© 2005-2024 Lighting-Gallery.net | SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies