Author Topic: What is the best alternative to an HPS gear?  (Read 2992 times)
Binarix128

View Posts
View Gallery
220V AC 50Hz, NTSC

GoL UCOUT2noI2R__jgPSJUjGRtA
What is the best alternative to an HPS gear? « on: December 22, 2020, 01:50:38 PM » Author: Binarix128
I have a 70W HPS, and I want to see it working but I don't have the gear because it is too expensive. What is the best replacement, a resistive load, a fluorescent ballast or motor, and then what could I use as ignitor? What are the best options for the short and long term?
Rommie
Administrator

View Posts
View Gallery

Andromeda Ascendant

Re: What is the best alternative to an HPS gear? « Reply #1 on: December 22, 2020, 02:16:00 PM » Author: Rommie
You're on 220-240V, right..? I could probably find you a 70W ballast, does the lamp have an internal ignitor or do you need one of those as well..?  :hps:

Ria (aka Rommie) in Aberdeen
Administrator, UK & European time zones. Any questions or problems, please feel free to get in touch :love:

"What greater gift than the love of a cat..?" - Charles Dickens
*** No smiley-only replies, please ***

Binarix128

View Posts
View Gallery
220V AC 50Hz, NTSC

Re: What is the best alternative to an HPS gear? « Reply #2 on: December 22, 2020, 02:23:45 PM » Author: Binarix128
Yes, I'm on 220V 50Hz. Here's a picture of the lamp, it is a normal SON-T bulb without internal ignition. I wonder if I can use my 40W fan and a fluorescent starter. I don't want to experiment yet because I don't want anything to blow up. I think a motor should work, I'm not sure about resistive loads like incandescent bulbs or kettles.  :wndr:

I'm considering to light it up using a fluorescent flashlight circuit, just for see the auxiliary gasses lighting up.
« Last Edit: December 22, 2020, 02:26:45 PM by Binarix128 » Logged
Rommie
Administrator

View Posts
View Gallery

Andromeda Ascendant

Re: What is the best alternative to an HPS gear? « Reply #3 on: December 22, 2020, 02:29:05 PM » Author: Rommie
Yes that looks fairly standard, a normal choke ballast will work for that, you'll need a proper ignitor though, these things need a few kV to get going  ;D

I'm pretty sure I have a spare ballast somewhere, I definitely know where there's an ignitor that will work. Let me know if you're struggling. Lamp specs are around 0.98A at 90V

Administrator, UK & European time zones. Any questions or problems, please feel free to get in touch :love:

Binarix128

View Posts
View Gallery
220V AC 50Hz, NTSC

Re: What is the best alternative to an HPS gear? « Reply #4 on: December 22, 2020, 02:42:20 PM » Author: Binarix128
I think two 36W fluorescent ballasts in parallel would work, and a fluorescent starter in parallel with the lamp should make the enough KV to strike the lamp. I think 2W extra on the ballast or the lamp shouldn't be a big problem, so I'll experiment a bit with that setup, and I hope not to blow up something in the process.  @-@ :mrg:
Rommie
Administrator

View Posts
View Gallery

Andromeda Ascendant

Re: What is the best alternative to an HPS gear? « Reply #5 on: December 22, 2020, 02:44:11 PM » Author: Rommie
Well best of luck, don't blow yourself up, will you, it takes ages to get bloodstains off the walls  :mrg:

Bulbman256

View Posts
View Gallery

Mad Max

Bulbman256
Re: What is the best alternative to an HPS gear? « Reply #6 on: December 22, 2020, 03:07:29 PM » Author: Bulbman256
Well best of luck, don't blow yourself up, will you, it takes ages to get bloodstains off the walls  :mrg:

Can confirm, had a non electrical related accident as a kid that got blood everywhere, from my dad's testimony its very hard to clean, :mrg:

Edit: ask worldwide lighting collector if such a setup would work, he experiments with that sort of thing all the time. :)

Collecting light bulbs since 2012, a madman since birth.

Rommie
Administrator

View Posts
View Gallery

Andromeda Ascendant

Re: What is the best alternative to an HPS gear? « Reply #7 on: December 22, 2020, 03:15:22 PM » Author: Rommie
Can confirm, had a non electrical related accident as a kid that got blood everywhere, from my dad's testimony its very hard to clean :mrg:
Not only that, the cops always find it... erm....  @-@ :mrg:

Bulbman256

View Posts
View Gallery

Mad Max

Bulbman256
Re: What is the best alternative to an HPS gear? « Reply #8 on: December 22, 2020, 04:07:24 PM » Author: Bulbman256
Not only that, the cops always find it... erm....  @-@ :mrg:

Ok what did you do now? Did louie do it? :police: :mrg: :lol:

Collecting light bulbs since 2012, a madman since birth.

Rommie
Administrator

View Posts
View Gallery

Andromeda Ascendant

Re: What is the best alternative to an HPS gear? « Reply #9 on: December 22, 2020, 04:11:53 PM » Author: Rommie
You've certainly got him sussed :mrg:

Mandolin Girl

View Posts
View Gallery

Oil Lamp Addict

Re: What is the best alternative to an HPS gear? « Reply #10 on: December 22, 2020, 04:22:41 PM » Author: Mandolin Girl
I sent the first chapter of Space Munky to an author we have got to know, and included a picture of Louie.
His response was that as a crime writer, he knew a dodgy character when he saw one.  :D
« Last Edit: December 22, 2020, 04:29:16 PM by Mandolin Girl » Logged

Hugs and STUFF Sammi xXx (also in Aberdeen) :love: :oil-ltn:
Published Author ;D
There are two kinds of light  -  the glow that illuminates, and the glare that obscures.
James Thurber
SMILEY ONLY ANSWERS WILL BE DELETED FROM MY POSTS

Binarix128

View Posts
View Gallery
220V AC 50Hz, NTSC

Re: What is the best alternative to an HPS gear? « Reply #11 on: December 22, 2020, 04:28:07 PM » Author: Binarix128
Well, I did the experiment, and no explosion at all.  :mrg:

That's the setup I made. First made it in a nice wood piece for make it look like a testing rig. I connected two chokes in parallel in series with the lamp socket without the starter, I screwed a 28W halogen bulb to see how much the ballast heat and no heat at all; then I screwed a 70W halogen bulb to simulate the HPS load and barely any heat, although the run time was a few seconds. Then I decided to screw the HPS and I ran it up with a single choke and no starter; the lamp didn't light up. Then I connected the other choke back and nothing yet. Then I connected an 80W starter in parallel to the lamp so every time it closes shorts the ballasts to mains; the starter flashed a few times but seems like it wasn't happy because there were blue flashes, but the HPS did light up for a tiny fraction of a second, so it wanted to strike. Then I removed the starter capacitor and it didn't strike anymore.

tl;dr. It didn't work, but it wanted though. There's something in the setup that I need to tweak in order to make it work.

BTW here's a picture of the test rig.
Rommie
Administrator

View Posts
View Gallery

Andromeda Ascendant

Re: What is the best alternative to an HPS gear? « Reply #12 on: December 22, 2020, 04:30:12 PM » Author: Rommie
Very neat rig, shame it didn't work  :sadbulb:

I think you need a proper 3-wire ignitor, as I said I have one somewhere, also the correct ballast, let me know.

WorldwideHIDCollectorUSA

View Posts
View Gallery

HID, LPS, and preheat fluorescents forever!!!!!!

Worldwide HIDCollectorUSA
Re: What is the best alternative to an HPS gear? « Reply #13 on: December 22, 2020, 04:45:38 PM » Author: WorldwideHIDCollectorUSA
As SOX35 says, a Superimposed pulse ignitor provides more reliable ignition than a fluorescent starter since these ignitors are designed for HPS lamps due to their high voltage pulses. In addition, you might add a 13w PL-C choke to your paralleled F36 chokes to help drive your lamp to its proper current since 2 F36 chokes in parallel run the lamp at up to roughly 0.86a and this lamp needs at least 1.0a to operate. Since a 13w PL-C choke is designed for a roughly 0.17a lamp current, adding this choke would run your HPS lamp only slightly above its rated current at a total of about 1.03a.

Desire to collect various light bulbs (especially HID), control gear, and fixtures from around the world.

DISCLAIMER: THE EXPERIMENTS THAT I CONDUCT INVOLVING UNUSUAL LAMP/BALLAST COMBINATIONS SHOULD NOT BE ATTEMPTED UNLESS YOU HAVE THE PROPER KNOWLEDGE. I AM NOT RESPONSIBLE FOR ANY INJURIES.

Binarix128

View Posts
View Gallery
220V AC 50Hz, NTSC

Re: What is the best alternative to an HPS gear? « Reply #14 on: December 22, 2020, 04:59:18 PM » Author: Binarix128
I found this HID ignitor at Mercadolibre Chile at a very accessible item+shipping price, so I'll probably buy it.

@WorldwideHIDCollectorUSA will it work if I keep using the 2x 36W chokes but with a proper ignitor? Will an 18W ballast work instead of a 13W one as an extra?

If I don't manage to get the ignitor what would be the best replacement?
Print 
© 2005-2024 Lighting-Gallery.net | SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies