Author Topic: What brand service panel/consumer unit does your home have? Fuses or breakers?  (Read 3627 times)
Cole D.

View Posts
View Gallery

123 V 60 CPS

Dk944Mr-jX4jbnoUUj7xAw
What brand service panel/consumer unit does your home have? Fuses or breakers? « on: December 25, 2020, 12:14:04 PM » Author: Cole D.
My house (my parent's) has an indoor Square D QO series service panel with Square D circuit breakers.

Also outside has a Square D disconnect breaker box for the A/C compressor unit, also with a Square D breaker.

Collect vintage incandescent and fluorescent fixtures. Also like HID lighting and streetlights.

Xytrell

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: What brand service panel/consumer unit does your home have? Fuses or breakers? « Reply #1 on: December 25, 2020, 02:52:18 PM » Author: Xytrell
Nothing unusual at my house. 240V 200A split-phase service with cutler-hammer (type CH) breakers.
joseph_125

View Posts
View Gallery

GoL
Re: What brand service panel/consumer unit does your home have? Fuses or breakers? « Reply #2 on: December 26, 2020, 02:18:01 AM » Author: joseph_125
I have a fairly typical service for houses of this size and age, a 100A 120/240v split phase service with a 24 space ITE-Gould panel. I believe Siemens now makes that style breaker now. In fact I think a couple of newer breakers in the panel are Siemens.

My AC disconnect is a Amalgamated Electric 30A fused disconnect, located inside next to the breaker panel. I guess it predates the requirement to have a disconnect next to the compressor.
Desultory13
Re: What brand service panel/consumer unit does your home have? Fuses or breakers? « Reply #3 on: December 30, 2020, 04:09:44 PM » Author: Desultory13
My condo has a 100 amp Challenger breaker panel, which is a replacement for the original ITE panel. It has a combination of Challenger and Westinghouse breakers. The main breaker located in the building's electrical room is the original 100 amp ITE installed in 1974. The main switch for the building is an original ITE 1200 amp breaker.
Binarix128

View Posts
View Gallery
220V AC 50Hz, NTSC

GoL UCOUT2noI2R__jgPSJUjGRtA
Re: What brand service panel/consumer unit does your home have? Fuses or breakers? « Reply #4 on: December 30, 2020, 06:08:41 PM » Author: Binarix128
My house has one single pole 10A breaker integrated with the power meter, I think it is a Marisio one.
funkybulb

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: What brand service panel/consumer unit does your home have? Fuses or breakers? « Reply #5 on: December 30, 2020, 08:41:46 PM » Author: funkybulb
  On the pole I have a Eaton 200 A service with 24 spaces
  125  breaker to my house

Then A GE 200 amp outdoor 120/ 240 volt split phase
Panel.  Inside I have a 20 amp GFCI 240 volt breaker for
 Tinkering.   Then I have a 4 amp 600 volt fuse on my step
 Up transformer that do 240/ 480 volt split phase for 240 volt
 To ground lighting circuit.

No LED gadgets, spins too slowly.  Gotta  love preheat and MV. let the lights keep my meter spinning.

Xytrell

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: What brand service panel/consumer unit does your home have? Fuses or breakers? « Reply #6 on: December 30, 2020, 09:28:27 PM » Author: Xytrell
My house has one single pole 10A breaker

Seriously? Now I'm curious. How do you cook? How do you heat... anything? How do you dry clothes? Do you have any kitchen appliances? Surely the idle load of regular household devices like a refrigerator, lighting, clocks, and misc standby power must be already half of your budget.
Bulbman256

View Posts
View Gallery

Mad Max

Bulbman256
Re: What brand service panel/consumer unit does your home have? Fuses or breakers? « Reply #7 on: December 30, 2020, 10:22:13 PM » Author: Bulbman256
Seriously? Now I'm curious. How do you cook? How do you heat... anything? How do you dry clothes? Do you have any kitchen appliances? Surely the idle load of regular household devices like a refrigerator, lighting, clocks, and misc standby power must be already half of your budget.

Might have been a typo and he meant 100 amps. :-\

Collecting light bulbs since 2012, a madman since birth.

icefoglights

View Posts
View Gallery

ITT Low Pressure Sodium NEMA

GoL
Re: What brand service panel/consumer unit does your home have? Fuses or breakers? « Reply #8 on: December 30, 2020, 10:29:50 PM » Author: icefoglights
My service entrance is a Siemens 200 amp "farm panel" which has the meter, a 200 amp main breaker feeding an 8 space breaker buss than into the house.  It also has a space separate from the main for a 2 pole breaker up to 70 amps (currently unused).  A 50 amp breaker in the main buss feeds the shop.

The breaker box in the house is a 30 space Square D QO panel.

The shop has a 8 space Square D QO panel.

I also have a Generac 8-10 space transfer panel I plan to install inside the house, using Siemens breakers.
« Last Edit: February 08, 2021, 12:44:32 AM by icefoglights » Logged

01010010 01101111 01100010 01100101 01110010 01110100

Binarix128

View Posts
View Gallery
220V AC 50Hz, NTSC

Re: What brand service panel/consumer unit does your home have? Fuses or breakers? « Reply #9 on: December 30, 2020, 11:59:37 PM » Author: Binarix128
We cook with gas, and we dry the clothes outside in the patio. We have three fridges working at the same time and can perfectly withstand a kettle or a washing machine and the lights and TVs on at the same time, but then if we connect the toaster and the kettle at the same time the power goes off. Getting 10A is not that terrible at 220V, because you can get twice the power than a 120v circuit.

We prefer gas not only because the breaker won't stand an electric stove but because the gas is way more cheaper. Electricity is too expensive those days even using mostly LED lights.

@bulbman256 I actually meant 10A. That's because the house is old and more current would be a risk of fire. The power rating was given by the electricity company in the power meter. The breaker is integrated.
« Last Edit: December 31, 2020, 12:03:10 AM by Binarix128 » Logged
funkybulb

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: What brand service panel/consumer unit does your home have? Fuses or breakers? « Reply #10 on: December 31, 2020, 02:10:46 AM » Author: funkybulb
 Ive kinda seen 15 and 30 amp service at a mexican home with
 Edison base fuses.   The cook mostly with gas,  dry clothes outside.   It  very rarely get down to freezing down there.
  Most they have is ights, refrigerator,  TV and radio,  celing fan. 
   And swamp coolers to cool there homes. It feels like 50- 70 years behind the times there.

No LED gadgets, spins too slowly.  Gotta  love preheat and MV. let the lights keep my meter spinning.

Ash

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: What brand service panel/consumer unit does your home have? Fuses or breakers? « Reply #11 on: December 31, 2020, 06:03:31 AM » Author: Ash
Old flats in Israel are on single phase 230V 25A - It's tight allowance for today, but sufficient to heat the house and have hot water without tripping anything if appliances are switched on consciously - keeping heaters on minimum power mode etc. Cooking is gas. Few users manage to cook on electricity too under the same 25A main but they have to be really conscious about it (switch off heaters elsewhere for that time) so that only really works for singles or small families

Later (late 80s and onwards) are mostly single phase 40A, that you dont trip easily with average use

Many modern (last 15 years) houses have 3 phase 3x25A

(25A breaker doesn't actually trip at 25A, its minimum tripping point is 28.25A and usually higher than that, around 30A. Also, in many old houses the panel is in an outside or cold area, so in the really cold days the actual no-trip current gets higher)
joseph_125

View Posts
View Gallery

GoL
Re: What brand service panel/consumer unit does your home have? Fuses or breakers? « Reply #12 on: December 31, 2020, 01:54:37 PM » Author: joseph_125
I think if you have a small home, and not at of electronics and appliances a 240v 10A service might be enough as long as all the heat producing appliances (stove, water heater, dryer) run on gas. You might have to forgo the air conditioning though, or just use a small window unit to cool only one room.

Without the modern day electronic gadgets, you really only have to power lighting, the refrigerator, and the occasional small appliance. 
Rommie
Administrator

View Posts
View Gallery

Andromeda Ascendant

Re: What brand service panel/consumer unit does your home have? Fuses or breakers? « Reply #13 on: December 31, 2020, 03:11:31 PM » Author: Rommie
Air conditioning is rare in domestic properties over here, it rarely gets hot enough to need it  ::)

Here is the main box for our flat. The main switch is rated 100A but I don't know what size of fuse is in the main distribution panel outside. It could well be 100A, but it may equally well be a lower rating. 80A or even 60A are commonplace.

Ria (aka Rommie) in Aberdeen
Administrator, UK & European time zones. Any questions or problems, please feel free to get in touch :love:

"What greater gift than the love of a cat..?" - Charles Dickens
*** No smiley-only replies, please ***

Binarix128

View Posts
View Gallery
220V AC 50Hz, NTSC

Re: What brand service panel/consumer unit does your home have? Fuses or breakers? « Reply #14 on: December 31, 2020, 04:06:47 PM » Author: Binarix128
You guys won't believe it but most houses here have a single phase 10A circuit even in modern houses, and it seems to be enough for all the appliances. That's because gas appliances are very popular here, either piped gas or gas cylinders, and the gas is used to heat the water and for cook, and room heating sometimes, because the gas is cheap is a better option and you don't need to load the circuit much, so a powerful circuit is pretty much not needed.

I would say that pretty much all the average houses and apartment blocks run on 10A, but big houses or small industrial sites run at three phases, probably 50A each.
Print 
© 2005-2024 Lighting-Gallery.net | SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies