Author Topic: What do you think of a team exchanging all incandescent lighting?  (Read 1375 times)
Silverliner
Administrator

View Posts
View Gallery

Rare white reflector

GoL
What do you think of a team exchanging all incandescent lighting? « on: May 07, 2009, 04:43:13 AM » Author: Silverliner
This is actually from an environment site so it's not official, but what do you think if this actually happens?

Click here

Administrator of Lighting-Gallery.net. Need help? PM me.

Member of L-G since 2005.

Collector of vintage bulbs, street lights and fluorescent fixtures.

Electrician.

Also a fan of cars, travelling, working out, food, hanging out.

Power company: Southern California Edison.

SeanB~1

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: What do you think of a team exchanging all incandescent lighting? « Reply #1 on: May 07, 2009, 03:46:14 PM » Author: SeanB~1
It would save 70% of the power that is used for lighting.

The serious question would be, how much of your power goes to lighting?

Only if you have gas heating, gas cooker, gas fridge and gas water heater does the power you use come mainly from lighting. If you are like most people, you have an electric stove, geyser, fridge and either aircon or heating via electricity. Mos power is used running these items, not really for lighting.

So the average consumer would save possibly 5% on power bill.

More economical would be to insulate the house better, insulate your geyser and the first 2 metres of piping out of it, and if possible go for solar water heating. That would be the best savings, and the initial outlay would pay for itself in short order, whilst keeping you comfortable.

A concerted campaign was deployed here in South Africa, as our state run sole supplier, Eskom ( AKA as Eishkom, the powerless ones), has , due to various ( mostly political) reasons run out of peaking capacity, and is currently running at a reserve margin of under 5%, leading to rolling blackouts ( Like PG&E were doing under Enron) and a call for " Demand side management". This led to a "Free" swap of incandescent lighting for cheap Chr@p CFL lamps, as a program to appear to be doing something.

I solved this by buying a small generator to keep me running for the blackouts. My ISP bought a 60kVA diesel for the same reason, along with a 1000l tank for diesel, for the same purpose.

A bigger saving is to encourage energy efficient appliances, and energy efficient housing. lighting is not a big power user, for all the nonsense about how much power is saved, when compared to the total power generated.
Print 
© 2005-2024 Lighting-Gallery.net | SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies