Author Topic: Fluorescent fixture fire  (Read 225 times)
WorldwideHIDCollectorUSA

View Posts
View Gallery

MH, HPS, MV, and SOX lighting forever.

Fluorescent fixture fire « on: January 05, 2021, 02:54:22 AM » Author: WorldwideHIDCollectorUSA
Does anyone know what might cause fluorescent fixtures like this to catch fire?

Here is the video:

https://youtu.be/Clpc3REUgps

Say NO to ballast and bulb bans. MV, MH, HPS, and SOX forever!!!! Magnetic preheat fluorescent forever!!!!!

Desire to collect various light bulbs (especially HID), ballasts, and fixtures from around the world.

BG101

View Posts
View Gallery

EYE H80 Mercury Vapour

Brian TheTellyman
Re: Fluorescent fixture fire « Reply #1 on: January 05, 2021, 03:26:54 AM » Author: BG101
Shorted turns in a pitch-filled ballast?

Talking of turns, why can't people be bothered to turn their cameras the right way when filming video. Missed of the scene due to this muppetry.

Say NO to DICTATORSHIP in the form of bulb/tube/ballast bans !!

WorldwideHIDCollectorUSA

View Posts
View Gallery

MH, HPS, MV, and SOX lighting forever.

Re: Fluorescent fixture fire « Reply #2 on: January 05, 2021, 04:01:31 AM » Author: WorldwideHIDCollectorUSA
Does anyone also know about the cause of the fluorescent fixture fire at the Bronycon My Little Pony convention in 2011?

Here is the video:

https://youtu.be/mN9075mbEr0

Say NO to ballast and bulb bans. MV, MH, HPS, and SOX forever!!!! Magnetic preheat fluorescent forever!!!!!

Desire to collect various light bulbs (especially HID), ballasts, and fixtures from around the world.

Binarix128

View Posts
View Gallery

220V AC 50Hz, 525@29,970i NTSC

GoL UCOUT2noI2R__jgPSJUjGRtA
Re: Fluorescent fixture fire « Reply #3 on: January 05, 2021, 09:28:01 AM » Author: Binarix128
The same as before, a ballast filled with tar overheated and catched fire. It could happen because the ballast was not perfectly hermetic, it was too old so the tar rusted away the coil lacquer and it shorted out or some moron installed the wrong lamp for the wrong ballast and it overheated..

LED will never beat other lamps. :inc: :hps: :mv:
Creator of CaptureCommons

High Intensity

View Posts
View Gallery

EYE 175w MV

GoL
Re: Fluorescent fixture fire « Reply #4 on: January 05, 2021, 06:12:05 PM » Author: High Intensity
Looking at where the fire is on the fixture, I'm going to bet the last guy to relamp the fixture did not twist the lamp all the way.

Old lighting is, and will always be, the best lighting.

joseph_125

View Posts
View Gallery

GoL
Re: Fluorescent fixture fire « Reply #5 on: January 05, 2021, 06:38:39 PM » Author: joseph_125
If the luminaire was retrofitted to T8 instant start from T12 rapid start, it could also be a improperly wired lampholder. You're supposed to shunt the lampholders when retrofitting to T8 instant start but some ballasts will still light the lamps with a non shunted socket. However this will increase the risk of arcing and overheating of the lampholders.

Here's a document showing what I mean.
xmaslightguy

View Posts
View Gallery

zzz

GoL ATL
Re: Fluorescent fixture fire « Reply #6 on: January 05, 2021, 08:44:13 PM » Author: xmaslightguy
That 1st vid looks like it was taken in a school gym... I wouldn't be surprised if a ball hit the light, knocking a tube partially loose causing it to arc on the end where the fire started.

====================
why can't people be bothered to turn their cameras the right way when filming video
Ug. I know! Worse than that is news stations if they use a vertically recorded vid like that...instead of leaving blank/black space on the sides, they fill them with a blurred-out version of the video. That looks horrible, far worse than leaving it blank. :roll:

Forget the lights..just give me a good lightning storm & tornado to go watch...

Print 
© 2005-2021 Lighting-Gallery.net | Powered by SMF 2.0.17 | SMF © 2019, Simple Machines