Author Topic: Difference between ML and MLL lamps  (Read 3949 times)
Jovan

View Posts
View Gallery

Difference between ML and MLL lamps « on: January 24, 2021, 04:21:06 PM » Author: Jovan
Hello to everyone.I was looking throughout gallery and noticed that some SBMV lamps have MLL on them ?Is there a huge difference between ML and MLL lamps ?
« Last Edit: January 25, 2021, 03:55:34 PM by Jovan » Logged
Rommie
Administrator

View Posts
View Gallery

Andromeda Ascendant

Re: Difference between ML and MLL lamps « Reply #1 on: January 24, 2021, 07:01:38 PM » Author: Rommie
In the Dutch mercury nomenclature system, ML means mercury blended, MLL means it has a luminescent (fluorescent) coating, see here.

The British equivalent is MBT and MBTF.
« Last Edit: January 25, 2021, 07:45:15 AM by sox35 » Logged

Ria (aka Rommie) in Aberdeen
Administrator, UK & European time zones. Any questions or problems, please feel free to get in touch :love:

"What greater gift than the love of a cat..?" - Charles Dickens
*** No smiley-only replies, please ***

Jovan

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Difference between ML and MLL lamps « Reply #2 on: January 25, 2021, 03:53:13 PM » Author: Jovan
In the Dutch mercury nomenclature system, ML means mercury blended, MLL means it has a luminescent (fluorescent) coating, see here.

The British equivalent is MBT and MBTF.
Thank you.So ML coating doesn't glow under UV ?
Rommie
Administrator

View Posts
View Gallery

Andromeda Ascendant

Re: Difference between ML and MLL lamps « Reply #3 on: January 25, 2021, 04:24:51 PM » Author: Rommie
Thank you.So ML coating doesn't glow under UV ?
Well my ML lamp is a pearl coating like an incandescent lamp. Here is the equivalent MLL lamp.

Administrator, UK & European time zones. Any questions or problems, please feel free to get in touch :love:

Jovan

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Difference between ML and MLL lamps « Reply #4 on: January 26, 2021, 04:27:33 PM » Author: Jovan
Well my ML lamp is a pearl coating like an incandescent lamp. Here is the equivalent MLL lamp.
My ML has coating which is similar to your MLL lamp coating.My model is from 2001,so maybe there is some difference.Are MLL lamps still made to this day ?
Rommie
Administrator

View Posts
View Gallery

Andromeda Ascendant

Re: Difference between ML and MLL lamps « Reply #5 on: January 26, 2021, 04:28:40 PM » Author: Rommie
Very unlikely, I would have thought  :-\

Jovan

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Difference between ML and MLL lamps « Reply #6 on: January 26, 2021, 04:36:22 PM » Author: Jovan
Very unlikely, I would have thought  :-\
I will need to use UV lamp to see is coating on ML lamps from 2001 glowing.I think that back in the day ML lamps were made to be similar to standard MV bulbs which needed ballast and had diffuse coating only.Later they started using powder which glows under UV and MLL got its name,and after many years they discontinued lamps which had diffuse coating and started to use phosphorus which glows under UV only.
Medved

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Difference between ML and MLL lamps « Reply #7 on: January 27, 2021, 06:39:08 AM » Author: Medved
I will need to use UV lamp to see is coating on ML lamps from 2001 glowing.I think that back in the day ML lamps were made to be similar to standard MV bulbs which needed ballast and had diffuse coating only.Later they started using powder which glows under UV and MLL got its name,and after many years they discontinued lamps which had diffuse coating and started to use phosphorus which glows under UV only.

But many phosphor materials are sensitive to just the UV, while the outer bulb material is specifically designed to block that UV from passing through, so you won't be able to excite the glow from the outside.

No more selfballasted c***

Jovan

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Difference between ML and MLL lamps « Reply #8 on: January 27, 2021, 06:50:12 AM » Author: Jovan
But many phosphor materials are sensitive to just the UV, while the outer bulb material is specifically designed to block that UV from passing through, so you won't be able to excite the glow from the outside.
Yes I saw that on many lamps.Only reliable solution for that test would be hot restriking the lamp.I will try and notice everyone there.
James

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Difference between ML and MLL lamps « Reply #9 on: January 27, 2021, 04:01:17 PM » Author: James
ML means Mixed Light, and MLL means Mixed Light Luminescent.  However Philips seems not to have been consistent in its nomenclature, because I have several ML lamps that also use fluorescent coating.  Sometimes they also marked lamps as MLL-N and MLL-C, to indicate that they were using New or Comfort type phosphors.
Mandolin Girl

View Posts
View Gallery

Oil Lamp Addict

Re: Difference between ML and MLL lamps « Reply #10 on: January 27, 2021, 04:41:14 PM » Author: Mandolin Girl
ML means Mixed Light, and MLL means Mixed Light Luminescent.  However Philips seems not to have been consistent in its nomenclature, because I have several ML lamps that also use fluorescent coating.  Sometimes they also marked lamps as MLL-N and MLL-C, to indicate that they were using New or Comfort type phosphors.
A very informative post as always James, thank you.  :-*

Hugs and STUFF Sammi xXx (also in Aberdeen) :love: :oil-ltn:
Published Author ;D
There are two kinds of light  -  the glow that illuminates, and the glare that obscures.
James Thurber
SMILEY ONLY ANSWERS WILL BE DELETED FROM MY POSTS

Jovan

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Difference between ML and MLL lamps « Reply #11 on: January 27, 2021, 05:06:44 PM » Author: Jovan
Thank You for info.I think that my ML lamps use luminescent coating.Are C coating bulbs still made ?
James

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Difference between ML and MLL lamps « Reply #12 on: January 30, 2021, 03:39:15 PM » Author: James
I don’t think the ML-C was ever listed as standard, but some collectors here have examples from the 1980s/90s.  Even the standard ML are no longer produced by Signify.
Jovan

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Difference between ML and MLL lamps « Reply #13 on: January 30, 2021, 05:10:40 PM » Author: Jovan
I don’t think the ML-C was ever listed as standard, but some collectors here have examples from the 1980s/90s.  Even the standard ML are no longer produced by Signify.
Signify is owner of Philips,right ?
Philips has ML lamps on their site.I've never seen Signify lamps on sale ?Will Philips name on lamps disappear one day ?
« Last Edit: January 30, 2021, 05:16:37 PM by Jovan » Logged
Rommie
Administrator

View Posts
View Gallery

Andromeda Ascendant

Re: Difference between ML and MLL lamps « Reply #14 on: January 30, 2021, 05:14:03 PM » Author: Rommie
Signify is owner of Philips,right ?
Philips has ML lamps on their site.I've never seen Signify lamps on sale ?Will Philips name on lamps dissappear one day ?

I wouldn't be at all surprised  :(

To me, it is sad what has happened to a once great company  :-\

Print 
© 2005-2024 Lighting-Gallery.net | SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies