Author Topic: Why Toronto considered turning off its highway lights in 1996  (Read 3214 times)
joseph_125

View Posts
View Gallery

GoL
Why Toronto considered turning off its highway lights in 1996 « on: February 02, 2021, 01:45:01 PM » Author: joseph_125
Some cool shots of the old SOX 180 lighting system in action. Apparently Metro Toronto Council suggested turning off the expressway lighting with the exception of ramps and merges like CalTrans in order to save money.

Video Link
CreeRSW207

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Why Toronto considered turning off its highway lights in 1996 « Reply #1 on: February 02, 2021, 02:13:28 PM » Author: CreeRSW207
I’d imagine that those no longer exist.

Long live the Incandescent streetlights!
Power Company: Eversource
Startup Landscaping/LED retrofit business.

joseph_125

View Posts
View Gallery

GoL
Re: Why Toronto considered turning off its highway lights in 1996 « Reply #2 on: February 02, 2021, 02:24:51 PM » Author: joseph_125
Yeah, they were removed starting on the Allen in the early 90s, and ended off with the Gardiner in 2005. There's one missout luminiare left but it's not functional
Econolite03

View Posts
View Gallery

Matthew E.

Re: Why Toronto considered turning off its highway lights in 1996 « Reply #3 on: February 02, 2021, 02:47:31 PM » Author: Econolite03
I like how the cameras back then made SOX lights look red at night. I could understand the operating costs for that amount of lights, but sacrificing additional safety for saving a little bit of money wasn’t worth it. At the time, SOX was a very efficient light source thus they had to been paying the lowest operating costs (aside the cost for replacement lamps and aging equipment).
alexd120

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Why Toronto considered turning off its highway lights in 1996 « Reply #4 on: February 02, 2021, 02:58:31 PM » Author: alexd120
I wonder why they would would do that?

Rapid start ,preheat metal halide mercury vapor and high pressure sodium for life.

wide-lite 1000

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Why Toronto considered turning off its highway lights in 1996 « Reply #5 on: February 03, 2021, 12:14:06 AM » Author: wide-lite 1000
Harrisburg Pa. did the same thing years ago . I-81 was lit by both OV-25s and OV-50s . neither worked for over 25 years until recently when that entire stretch of roadway was redone. All lights were replaced with cheaper to run LEDs instead of 1000w MV and 400w HPS .
 It makes sense , if you're a city and you don't have enough money to pay the bills , you gotta cut back and save money somewhere. The news article started that turning off the lights would save over $400,000.00 !

Collector,Hoarder,Pack-rat! Clear mercury Rules!!

Medved

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Why Toronto considered turning off its highway lights in 1996 « Reply #6 on: February 04, 2021, 04:46:40 AM » Author: Medved
I like how the cameras back then made SOX lights look red at night. I could understand the operating costs for that amount of lights, but sacrificing additional safety for saving a little bit of money wasn’t worth it. At the time, SOX was a very efficient light source thus they had to been paying the lowest operating costs (aside the cost for replacement lamps and aging equipment).

The thing is, the effect on safety of illuminating the roadways is highly questioned in many cases.
On many places the accident statistics just seemed to "not notice" the lighting being installed, on some places some say the situation even became worse - fewer accidents, but more severe ones.

No more selfballasted c***

Print 
© 2005-2024 Lighting-Gallery.net | SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies