Author Topic: Lifeguard experement  (Read 2385 times)
Bulbman256

View Posts
View Gallery

Mad Max

Bulbman256
Lifeguard experement « on: January 29, 2021, 11:19:44 AM » Author: Bulbman256
So i had this idea rolling around my noggin, what if i got a brand new run of the mill common Westinghouse lifeguard and ran it 24/7 to see how long it could go on. I would put it on a twitch stream to show what was going on live. What lifeguard should i use? will probably do this when i get my own house. :P

Collecting light bulbs since 2012, a madman since birth.

HPS_250

View Posts
View Gallery

Long live the HPS and SOX!

UCAjfrNb4v77ybEBBYqxZxiw
Re: Lifeguard experement « Reply #1 on: January 29, 2021, 11:24:47 AM » Author: HPS_250
So i had this idea rolling around my noggin, what if i got a brand new run of the mill common Westinghouse lifeguard and ran it 24/7 to see how long it could go on. I would put it on a twitch stream to show what was going on live. What lifeguard should i use? will probably do this when i get my own house. :P

I’d say to use a Westinghouse Lifeguard H39KC-175/DX or H33GL-400/DX. Those seem fairly common, you will just have to wait and eventually you will see one on eBay. Sounds like a cool idea, I’d be interested to see how long it lasts! Did you think of your electric bill though?  :lol:

I’ve always been interested in all kinds of lighting, mainly incandescent and HID, and especially all kinds of sodium lamps (HPS/LPS). I’ll tolerate LED but I’m not a fan of it.
I’m not proud to say that my city has Devolved to LED.

alexd120

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Lifeguard experement « Reply #2 on: January 29, 2021, 02:45:05 PM » Author: alexd120
How long will a 400w China made Phillips MH bulb last running 24/7?

Rapid start ,preheat metal halide mercury vapor and high pressure sodium for life.

BT25

View Posts
View Gallery

Vintage HID Collector

Re: Lifeguard experement « Reply #3 on: January 29, 2021, 04:32:16 PM » Author: BT25
How long will a 400w China made Phillips MH bulb last running 24/7?
Three weeks...tops. :lol:

First known case of Westinghouse Lifeguard Disease! :lol:
If you can say yes to any of the following, you may have it too: :poof:
Can't resist buying more even if you already have an example in your collection? :lol:
Bank account/CC statement shows unnecessary spending? ::)

BT25

View Posts
View Gallery

Vintage HID Collector

Re: Lifeguard experement « Reply #4 on: January 29, 2021, 04:33:31 PM » Author: BT25
Ballast will fail first! :mv:

Can't resist buying more even if you already have an example in your collection? :lol:

alexd120

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Lifeguard experement « Reply #5 on: January 29, 2021, 05:31:23 PM » Author: alexd120
Three weeks...tops. :lol:

Now I wan to try it.
Because i have plenty of thoses bulbs.

Rapid start ,preheat metal halide mercury vapor and high pressure sodium for life.

wide-lite 1000

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Lifeguard experement « Reply #6 on: January 29, 2021, 11:18:17 PM » Author: wide-lite 1000
Modern Philips MH lamps SUCK ! The lighting contractor that services the wallpacks for our parking lot at work uses Philips lamps. They dim probably close to 10-20% in the first month of D2D use and only seem to last maybe 2 to 2 1/2 years before becoming dim as a night light !

Collector,Hoarder,Pack-rat! Clear mercury Rules!!

alexd120

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Lifeguard experement « Reply #7 on: January 30, 2021, 12:45:17 AM » Author: alexd120
I wonder how long it will last running for 3 weeks.

wide-lite 1000

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Lifeguard experement « Reply #8 on: January 30, 2021, 12:47:29 AM » Author: wide-lite 1000
Dunno. I know the Philips Ceramic MH lamps are really great , but the probe start ones seem to really suck !!

Collector,Hoarder,Pack-rat! Clear mercury Rules!!

alexd120

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Lifeguard experement « Reply #9 on: January 30, 2021, 12:49:16 AM » Author: alexd120
Time to pull out a good ole reliable advance ballast,cap and a socket.

BT25

View Posts
View Gallery

Vintage HID Collector

Re: Lifeguard experement « Reply #10 on: January 30, 2021, 09:18:32 AM » Author: BT25
Dunno. I know the Philips Ceramic MH lamps are really great , but the probe start ones seem to really suck !!
Tim, maybe you can encourage them to install Philips Allstart CDM lamps instead. They may have to go to eBay to find them.

alexd120

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Lifeguard experement « Reply #11 on: February 01, 2021, 11:31:58 AM » Author: alexd120
I have plenty of those Chinese made Philips bulbs

HomeBrewLamps

View Posts
View Gallery

SodiumVapor 105843202020668111118 UCpGClK_9OH8N4QkD1fp-jNw majorpayne1226 187567902@N04/
Re: Lifeguard experement « Reply #12 on: February 13, 2021, 07:31:57 PM » Author: HomeBrewLamps
... No capacitor. Use HX ballast and pair it with a cooling fan. More reliable less components. Yes there is a cooling fan. But the cooling fan dying won't extinguish or blow up the lamp. A capacitor will. Also you're gonna wanna get a generator too. Something that will power the lamp no matter if your electricity goes out.

~Owen

:colorbulb: Scavenger, Urban Explorer, Lighting Enthusiast and Creator of homebrewlamps 8) :colorbulb:

HomeBrewLamps

View Posts
View Gallery

SodiumVapor 105843202020668111118 UCpGClK_9OH8N4QkD1fp-jNw majorpayne1226 187567902@N04/
Re: Lifeguard experement « Reply #13 on: February 13, 2021, 07:32:32 PM » Author: HomeBrewLamps
... No capacitor. Use HX ballast and pair it with a cooling fan. More reliable less components. Yes there is a cooling fan. But the cooling fan dying won't extinguish or blow up the lamp. A capacitor will. Also you're gonna wanna get a generator too. Something that will power the lamp no matter if your electricity goes out.

Also it Will outlast several cameras.

~Owen

:colorbulb: Scavenger, Urban Explorer, Lighting Enthusiast and Creator of homebrewlamps 8) :colorbulb:

Print 
© 2005-2024 Lighting-Gallery.net | SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies