Author Topic: Can 35w LPS ballast modifty run on single 35W F24T12 HO ?  (Read 1164 times)
AZTECH

View Posts
View Gallery

Can 35w LPS ballast modifty run on single 35W F24T12 HO ? « on: February 16, 2021, 12:51:23 PM » Author: AZTECH
It does work similar wattage 35W? Acting like Instant start ballast? I never have tried it before. I am looking small square ballast (similar like a HID ballast) to fit tight space than common long wide brick cant fit in small box space of fixture.

Or do anyone know other HID ballast type such like MH/MV (removing the pulse start ignitor) ballast might work?
« Last Edit: February 16, 2021, 02:30:57 PM by AZTECH » Logged
joseph_125

View Posts
View Gallery

GoL
Re: Can 35w LPS ballast modifty run on single 35W F24T12 HO ? « Reply #1 on: February 16, 2021, 02:43:29 PM » Author: joseph_125
I believe LPS ballasts have the wrong current voltage profile to run a F24T12HO. Instead I think you could wire one up in a preheat circuit with a 35w HPS ballast as the choke (remove or disable ignitor first) and then use a FS2 starter. Alternately a F20T12 style preheat circuit but with two identical chokes wired in parallel and a FS2 starter would probably work somewhat decently. 
AZTECH

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Can 35w LPS ballast modifty run on single 35W F24T12 HO ? « Reply #2 on: February 16, 2021, 03:26:19 PM » Author: AZTECH
I believe LPS ballasts have the wrong current voltage profile to run a F24T12HO. Instead I think you could wire one up in a preheat circuit with a 35w HPS ballast as the choke (remove or disable ignitor first) and then use a FS2 starter. Alternately a F20T12 style preheat circuit but with two identical chokes wired in parallel and a FS2 starter would probably work somewhat decently.

I am not sure if HPS ballast 35w works, because its low 120 OCV?  While normal F24T12/HO ballast said 480volt output?
funkybulb

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Can 35w LPS ballast modifty run on single 35W F24T12 HO ? « Reply #3 on: February 16, 2021, 06:21:10 PM » Author: funkybulb
 This already been proven on my funky bulb youtube channel
 As I use Two VS 120 volt chokes in parallel. And using FS 2
 Starter. And yes 35 watt HPS choke and starter will work fine.

The LPS ballast in the US is design for over 100 volt 600 mA current.

The 35 watt HO is 50 volt 800 mA

No LED gadgets, spins too slowly.  Gotta  love preheat and MV. let the lights keep my meter spinning.

joseph_125

View Posts
View Gallery

GoL
Re: Can 35w LPS ballast modifty run on single 35W F24T12 HO ? « Reply #4 on: February 16, 2021, 07:55:53 PM » Author: joseph_125
Regarding the OCV, the reason why HO ballasts have such a high OCV is that they're typically rated for lamps much longer, some are even rated for a pair of lamps from 2ft all the way up to 7ft so the higher voltage is needed to both run and start the longer tubes. With a F24T12HO, the 120v line from a choke ballast is enough to run the lamp but not enough to start. Hence why you need to wire a fluorescent starter into the circuit. The inductive kick generated from the starter contacts opening and closing will be enough to start the lamp. 
funkybulb

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Can 35w LPS ballast modifty run on single 35W F24T12 HO ? « Reply #5 on: February 17, 2021, 10:49:58 AM » Author: funkybulb
  That with any preheat circuit using inductive kick to start the lamp.   But  on rapid start Higher OCV is to ensure the lamp starts in the cold  weather.   

I am even preheating a 95 watt HO energy saver on 100 watt mercury ballast.   Keep in mind i own a 8 foot british pop pack
 And preheating 110 watt HO tubes with reduction of the cap value as current is all wrong on 60 Hz. 

That on you tube as well. 

Take a look at F40T12 rapid start it only 200-210 OCV
     And problematic starting in the cold.   The arc voltage is
    Not far off from non HO tubes. 

Keep in mind voltage need to be just twice the Lamp arc voltage for it to start with starting aid.   

Let take 4 watt fluorescent it 30 arc volt u can manually preheat like a desk lamp on 60 volt OCV but non of starter would work cause it way below ionzation voltage of neon or argon gas in a starter. 

So a 2 to 4 feet ballast two lamp is essentually a 8 foot single lamp ballast with a series cap and 3 heating transformer
 To run two lamps in series.  And  higher OCV to help strike
  In the cold weather.  That why HO starts better than F40T12 rapid start

No LED gadgets, spins too slowly.  Gotta  love preheat and MV. let the lights keep my meter spinning.

AZTECH

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Can 35w LPS ballast modifty run on single 35W F24T12 HO ? « Reply #6 on: February 17, 2021, 12:25:54 PM » Author: AZTECH
Thanks funkybulb & joseph_125 for inputs!

I am way too behind the experiments with all type of HID ballasts that could run on fluorescent! Now, I finally understand it some and I was wondering about might too low OCV since I am doing experiment build own street light fluorescent outdoor fixture housing duplicate from Spaulding P. LPS fixture housing. It going be outdoor light might see 0F at cold weather here sometime. How about slimline F24T12 with single pin operate with hps ballast? The F24T12/HO probably better if use with starter.

funkybulb, do you have link for youtube to show how you did wire up with hps ballast and starter on fluorescent? or wiring diagram on paper?

funkybulb

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Can 35w LPS ballast modifty run on single 35W F24T12 HO ? « Reply #7 on: February 17, 2021, 01:58:51 PM » Author: funkybulb
  All u do is treat it like your wiring up a single lamp preheat circuit .

Hot — ballast— pin one. From there pin two to starter block 
   From starter block to Pin 3 on the other end of the lamp.  Pin 4 is your neutral common connection.

Remove any ignitor.

It domt even have to be hps ballast
  You can even double up on preheat chokes in
  Parallel  for F18t12 HO all the way too F36T12

With same wiring diagram above applies to using longer lamps on hid ballast. 100! CWA mercury ballast works better on
 110 watt HO as it helps out on lamp starting.  The UK in early days been running 80 watt 5 foot lamps and 125 watt 8 foot lamps on mercury chokes.  But here on US side of pond we have to do it with Auto transformer ballast.

Let me give u some links to my channel.  It been a chilly and battling with rolling black outs in Texas.

Here one using Kinoflo 120 watt tube and a Canada market advance ballast

https://youtu.be/-mB4Xtkee10

Here  Video using F30T12HO on two 20 watt fluorescent chokes in parallel on 120 volt OCV

https://youtu.be/-PUguBm8De8

Far as runing F24T12 slimeline lamps
  Goes.  Since your really cant preheat cathodes
 And the arc voltage about same as F20T12 bipin lamps
    Only thing  u  can  do  is  using a  common  F20T12  ballast
     But u wire starter across ballast output and Neutral  including  the  lamp.   The  inductive  kick will  start the  lamp
   But  it  going  long  blinky  start  up until  lamp  strikes  an arc,.

« Last Edit: February 17, 2021, 02:36:36 PM by funkybulb » Logged

Print 
© 2005-2024 Lighting-Gallery.net | SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies