Author Topic: Where to find a 700 watt ballast for my 700 watt HPL-N mercury vapor bulb  (Read 1655 times)
Zambi137

View Posts
View Gallery

Where to find a 700 watt ballast for my 700 watt HPL-N mercury vapor bulb « on: February 19, 2021, 06:54:25 AM » Author: Zambi137
I have a 700 watt mercury vapor bulb and needless to say, I'd like to burn it  ;) However, I can't find a 700 watt ballast anywhere. Does anyone here have a 700 watt ballast they'd like to part with? Or a place I might find one? It should be 230 volts.

Also, I was wondering if I can't find one I might use a 600 watt plus a 100 watt ballast, would that work? Or a 400 and a 250? Suggestion are very welcome.

Thanks a big bunch. 
« Last Edit: February 19, 2021, 06:56:12 AM by Zambi137 » Logged
Rommie
Administrator

View Posts
View Gallery

Andromeda Ascendant

Re: Where to find a 700 watt ballast for my 700 watt HPL-N mercury vapor bulb « Reply #1 on: February 19, 2021, 07:14:54 AM » Author: Rommie
Best of luck, 700W ballasts for 230V are very hard to find, I've certainly never come across one, which is why I've never bought a 700W lamp :mrg:

You might be able to get away with using a 1000W ballast and reducing the input voltage, but it's not recommended unless you know what you're doing. 700W lamps are rare and you don't want to blow it up  :poof:
« Last Edit: February 19, 2021, 07:17:02 AM by sox35 » Logged

Ria (aka Rommie) in Aberdeen
Administrator, UK & European time zones. Any questions or problems, please feel free to get in touch :love:

"What greater gift than the love of a cat..?" - Charles Dickens
*** No smiley-only replies, please ***

Medved

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Where to find a 700 watt ballast for my 700 watt HPL-N mercury vapor bulb « Reply #2 on: February 19, 2021, 07:33:54 AM » Author: Medved
Are we talking about 230V series choke or 120V transformers?
For the 230V you just add multiple chokes in parallel so the sum of their current matches the current this lamp need (you have to google for the required lamp arc current specs).

For the autotransformer ballasts it works the same way, but you have two extra limitation:
Both ballasts have to have their phase the same (so both lead CWA, or both lag HX)
And both ballast OCV should be close to each other.

In any case, measure the arc current after the thing is assembled and verify it matches the lamp requirements.
The usually allowed tolerance is +/-5%, if you don't mind lower light output and lower efficacy, down to -30% ("+" means current being higherthan the lamp rating, "-" lower)

No more selfballasted c***

Zambi137

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Where to find a 700 watt ballast for my 700 watt HPL-N mercury vapor bulb « Reply #3 on: February 19, 2021, 11:38:26 AM » Author: Zambi137
thanks guys!!

@sox35 How would I go about reducing the input voltage? I have no idea so it would probably be wisest for me not to go there, but still curious :)

@Medved I'm talking about 230V, I live in the Netherlands so basically everything here is 230V :) I'm saving what you said in this post, but I understand it's not at as easy as just chuck 2 ballasts together lol I will google and look into it before even trying :)

Rommie
Administrator

View Posts
View Gallery

Andromeda Ascendant

Re: Where to find a 700 watt ballast for my 700 watt HPL-N mercury vapor bulb « Reply #4 on: February 19, 2021, 11:49:14 AM » Author: Rommie
thanks guys!!

@sox35 How would I go about reducing the input voltage? I have no idea so it would probably be wisest for me not to go there, but still curious
:)
Well the way I'd do it is to use a Variac (variable auto-transformer, like this, but as I said, you need to have an idea of what you're doing before you attempt something like this. It sounds as though you're not all that experienced (no disrespect) so I'd leave well alone.

Administrator, UK & European time zones. Any questions or problems, please feel free to get in touch :love:

Olav
Re: Where to find a 700 watt ballast for my 700 watt HPL-N mercury vapor bulb « Reply #5 on: February 19, 2021, 01:00:36 PM » Author: Olav
Hello Zambi71,

i bought a new ballast for 700W mv lamp in 2020.
Here is the company's address:

OPTIMA German Lighting Component GmbH

Send your request to them.

Greetings from Hamburg

Olav
AngryHorse

View Posts
View Gallery

Rich

Re: Where to find a 700 watt ballast for my 700 watt HPL-N mercury vapor bulb « Reply #6 on: February 19, 2021, 02:04:33 PM » Author: AngryHorse
A 400 watt and a 250 in parallel is the standard 700 watt set up in the UK

Current: UK 230V, 50Hz
Power provider: e.on energy
Street lighting in our town: Philips UniStreet LED (gen 1)
Longest serving LED in service at home, (hour count): Energetic mini clear globe: 54,050 hrs @ 10/2/24

"Beauty fades, dumb is forever".......Judge Judy :D

Zambi137

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Where to find a 700 watt ballast for my 700 watt HPL-N mercury vapor bulb « Reply #7 on: February 21, 2021, 05:43:33 AM » Author: Zambi137
Well the way I'd do it is to use a Variac (variable auto-transformer, like this, but as I said, you need to have an idea of what you're doing before you attempt something like this. It sounds as though you're not all that experienced (no disrespect) so I'd leave well alone.

Thanks for replying, I think I will leave it alone ;)
Zambi137

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Where to find a 700 watt ballast for my 700 watt HPL-N mercury vapor bulb « Reply #8 on: February 21, 2021, 05:44:01 AM » Author: Zambi137
A 400 watt and a 250 in parallel is the standard 700 watt set up in the UK

Thanks!
Zambi137

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Where to find a 700 watt ballast for my 700 watt HPL-N mercury vapor bulb « Reply #9 on: February 21, 2021, 05:45:08 AM » Author: Zambi137
Hello Zambi71,

i bought a new ballast for 700W mv lamp in 2020.
Here is the company's address:

OPTIMA German Lighting Component GmbH

Send your request to them.

Greetings from Hamburg

Olav

Hi Olav,
thanks so much!! I have already emailed them :)
tolivac

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Where to find a 700 watt ballast for my 700 watt HPL-N mercury vapor bulb « Reply #10 on: February 22, 2021, 12:26:55 AM » Author: tolivac
Wonder if it would be easier to find a 700WMV fixture rather than just the ballast.IE a fixture that has a ballast in it.Weren't ballasts made that could run either 700W or 1000 W MV?The 700W MV is sort of odd to me never seen them until on this site.
Medved

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Where to find a 700 watt ballast for my 700 watt HPL-N mercury vapor bulb « Reply #11 on: February 22, 2021, 02:06:35 AM » Author: Medved
To run on the same ballast, both lamps wpuld have to be rated for the same current.
If the 700W is 5.6A (250+400W chokes in parallel), its arc voltage is already about 140V, which is already on the top end what the 230V mains may support.
The 5.6A 1kW lamp would be then about 200V and that would need 400V feed (across 2 phases).
So to have a sinhle fixture supporting both lamps sounds to me as not much viable...

No more selfballasted c***

James

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Where to find a 700 watt ballast for my 700 watt HPL-N mercury vapor bulb « Reply #12 on: February 27, 2021, 11:12:57 AM » Author: James
If you can get yourself over to Tienen in Belgium, you are welcome to have a 700W ballast for free.  I have a spare of the Philips BHL700 at work.  Or we could look at posting it, but that may cost more than it is worth.
Rommie
Administrator

View Posts
View Gallery

Andromeda Ascendant

Re: Where to find a 700 watt ballast for my 700 watt HPL-N mercury vapor bulb « Reply #13 on: February 27, 2021, 11:14:15 AM » Author: Rommie
One of these days James, you're definitely going to get a visit  :mrg:

Print 
© 2005-2024 Lighting-Gallery.net | SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies