Author Topic: Is quality assurance and quality control illegal in China?  (Read 1439 times)
WorldwideHIDCollectorUSA

View Posts
View Gallery

HID, LPS, and preheat fluorescents forever!!!!!!

Worldwide HIDCollectorUSA
Is quality assurance and quality control illegal in China? « on: July 09, 2021, 07:21:10 AM » Author: WorldwideHIDCollectorUSA
Since many light bulbs, ballasts, and fixtures made outside of China are good quality products due to manufacturers having quality assurance and quality control teams, I often see information about Chinese made light bulbs, ballasts, and fixtures often failing shortly after they are first being put into service. I wonder if quality assurance and quality control teams for manufacturing are illegal in China?

Desire to collect various light bulbs (especially HID), control gear, and fixtures from around the world.

DISCLAIMER: THE EXPERIMENTS THAT I CONDUCT INVOLVING UNUSUAL LAMP/BALLAST COMBINATIONS SHOULD NOT BE ATTEMPTED UNLESS YOU HAVE THE PROPER KNOWLEDGE. I AM NOT RESPONSIBLE FOR ANY INJURIES.

CreeRSW207

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Is quality assurance and quality control illegal in China? « Reply #1 on: July 09, 2021, 08:04:23 AM » Author: CreeRSW207
I wouldn't say illegal but I think they just don't care.

Long live the Incandescent streetlights!
Power Company: Eversource
Startup Landscaping/LED retrofit business.

Rommie
Administrator

View Posts
View Gallery

Andromeda Ascendant

Re: Is quality assurance and quality control illegal in China? « Reply #2 on: July 09, 2021, 01:00:50 PM » Author: Rommie
I may be wrong, but my feeling has always been that the Chinese will make precisely what they are asked to make. You want cheap crap, they'll make you cheap crap. You want top quality goods, they're perfectly able to make that too, but it will cost you. As the saying goes, you get what you pay for. And the other saying to remember is, let the buyer beware.

Ria (aka Rommie) in Aberdeen
Administrator, UK & European time zones. Any questions or problems, please feel free to get in touch :love:

"What greater gift than the love of a cat..?" - Charles Dickens
*** No smiley-only replies, please ***

AngryHorse

View Posts
View Gallery

Rich, Coaster junkie!

Re: Is quality assurance and quality control illegal in China? « Reply #3 on: July 09, 2021, 08:35:33 PM » Author: AngryHorse
I may be wrong, but my feeling has always been that the Chinese will make precisely what they are asked to make. You want cheap crap, they'll make you cheap crap. You want top quality goods, they're perfectly able to make that too, but it will cost you. As the saying goes, you get what you pay for. And the other saying to remember is, let the buyer beware.
No, that’s absolutely spot on!, the real reason a lot of garbage comes from China is us dumb westerners want it!
Anything cheap and nasty and we’re salivating at it!, and places like eBay and alibaba are more than happy to pedal it!
This is one of the reasons LED has a bad name, there are good manufacturers of both LED and HID lamps in China, but I remember James once saying, “ the good stuff made in China tends to stay in China “
« Last Edit: July 10, 2021, 04:26:01 PM by AngryHorse » Logged

Current: UK 230V, 50Hz
Power provider: e.on energy
Street lighting in our town: Philips UniStreet LED (gen 1)
Longest serving LED in service at home, (hour count): Energetic mini clear globe: 54,050 hrs @ 10/2/24

Welcome to OBLIVION

wide-lite 1000

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Is quality assurance and quality control illegal in China? « Reply #4 on: July 10, 2021, 01:49:08 AM » Author: wide-lite 1000
EXACTLY !!

Collector,Hoarder,Pack-rat! Clear mercury Rules!!

joseph_125

View Posts
View Gallery

GoL
Re: Is quality assurance and quality control illegal in China? « Reply #5 on: July 10, 2021, 01:56:50 AM » Author: joseph_125
Yeah exactly, everything is built to a price point in that regard. You can have quality range from the non branded Amazon/Aliexpress/eBay stuff to Apple devices. The unfortunate thing is that to most, low price is the first consideration so longevity and build quality suffers.
Rommie
Administrator

View Posts
View Gallery

Andromeda Ascendant

Re: Is quality assurance and quality control illegal in China? « Reply #6 on: July 10, 2021, 07:45:15 AM » Author: Rommie
@joseph_125 - Indeed. Our Dell laptops are made in China, and they're excellent quality. Strangely enough, the Dell desktop I recently bought from eBay was made in Poland..!

Administrator, UK & European time zones. Any questions or problems, please feel free to get in touch :love:

funkybulb

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Is quality assurance and quality control illegal in China? « Reply #7 on: July 10, 2021, 11:46:51 AM » Author: funkybulb
Look at China made satco stuff and damar stuff lately these 
 Been comming out of china,  I never really have any problems
  With them.  And they came from major lamp supply house too.   These cost bit more than crap u buy in stores. 
 Let look at all electronic ballasted CFLs  last time i bought
 A CFL it still going in my old bed room at my moms house
  A rare 6500K daylight one. Now back in those 2000 era of
  CFL  u had good ones and bad ones.   U have a GE China made CFL last a long time,  and then u run across a cheap low quailty Trisonic CFL with halophosphor in them.  It lasted about
 A week like bad quailty leds.  The saying goe This what u pay for and that what u get.  So  u buy crap then u get crap results.

No LED gadgets, spins too slowly.  Gotta  love preheat and MV. let the lights keep my meter spinning.

Foxtronix

View Posts
View Gallery

Formerly "TiCoune66". Also known here as Vince.

GoL UCs4tSgJSCoCIMGThBuaePhA
Re: Is quality assurance and quality control illegal in China? « Reply #8 on: July 10, 2021, 10:24:59 PM » Author: Foxtronix
I won't repeat what's been said already but I'll add this:

It's also our approach with quality that's got issues. Cheap stuff gets expensive over time, quite ironically. What was previously maintenance work is now often an accelerated cycle of batch-replacement, not exactly the best way to lower the costs of workmanship. I always thought the idea would make its way in the western world where labour isn't cheap, but nope...

The naive part of myself always hopes things will change eventually...

takemorepills

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Is quality assurance and quality control illegal in China? « Reply #9 on: July 10, 2021, 10:46:17 PM » Author: takemorepills
Everything said so far about Chinese made things is pretty accurate.

What really surprises me though, the insatiable consumerism of our society, and how no one even blinks an eye anymore to the mountains of stuff that they discard.

I remember going to older people's homes in the early 80's, they'd have a 30 year old radio. Of course, it worked fine. More importantly, the tech back then didn't become obsolete so quickly.

Nowadays, if you get a quality, Chinese or foreign made device that lasts a long time, you'd be lucky to be able to use it for more than 5-10 years, even if it is still working it becomes obsoleted and no longer functional in many cases. Which then begs the question, why bother with quality?
sol

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Is quality assurance and quality control illegal in China? « Reply #10 on: July 10, 2021, 11:27:15 PM » Author: sol
[...]More importantly, the tech back then didn't become obsolete so quickly.[...]

And also fixable. The amount of glue and welds that go into manufacture these days make it all the most difficult (Apple, I'm looking a you in particular...).
takemorepills

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Is quality assurance and quality control illegal in China? « Reply #11 on: July 10, 2021, 11:47:28 PM » Author: takemorepills
And also fixable. The amount of glue and welds that go into manufacture these days make it all the most difficult (Apple, I'm looking a you in particular...).

It was so expensive back then, a basic radio could cost the equivalent of several hundred dollars. So, if it needed tubes or an alignment, you'd call in a mobile repair person, and they'd either repair it in your home, or you'd take it to their local repair shop.

You'd be keeping stuff out of the waste stream, and employing local people.

joseph_125

View Posts
View Gallery

GoL
Re: Is quality assurance and quality control illegal in China? « Reply #12 on: July 11, 2021, 02:33:40 AM » Author: joseph_125
To be honest, the lack of (easy) repairability on newer devices, be it phones, laptops, or even lighting is an annoyance to me. When possible I still like to extend the life of my devices by repairing them myself but the lack of parts to the end user and the glue is a major barrier to repairing stuff as an end user. A particularly annoying example is some of the Microsoft Surface products where almost everything is glued in...even more so than Apple I believe.

One thing I like about my vintage audio electronics is that they're fairly easy to open up and service and generally service manuals with a full set of schematics are readily available online.
Rommie
Administrator

View Posts
View Gallery

Andromeda Ascendant

Re: Is quality assurance and quality control illegal in China? « Reply #13 on: July 11, 2021, 04:17:52 AM » Author: Rommie
If you want to see real rants on Apple (lack of) repairability, check out Louis Rossmann on Youtube.

Print 
© 2005-2024 Lighting-Gallery.net | SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies