Author Topic: Is it ok to run a 175 watt mercury vapor bulb on an hps starter?  (Read 2875 times)
thelightingman

View Posts
View Gallery
All lighting except LED rules!

Re: Is it ok to run a 175 watt mercury vapor bulb on an hps starter? « Reply #15 on: February 27, 2021, 12:35:02 AM » Author: thelightingman
The arc voltage and current of a 175W MV lamp is 130V at 1.5A. The current is too high, and the voltage is too low.
A better ballast substitution would be an M57 metal halide ballast.

Where can I find an M57 ballast? Or an H39 ballast? (the ballast the lamp is designed for)

I think HPS, MV, and MH rule! :mv: :mvc: :hps: :emh: Ban LED instead! :eoled:

joseph_125

View Posts
View Gallery

GoL
Re: Is it ok to run a 175 watt mercury vapor bulb on an hps starter? « Reply #16 on: February 27, 2021, 12:40:59 AM » Author: joseph_125
M57 ballasts you could probably still get from lighting stores or eBay. H39 ballasts you'll have to get NOS from eBay. If you're in the US or Canada you could also try going to your local Habitat Restore and seeing if there's any ballasts or fixtures that can run 175w lamps. 175w MV was a very common wattage so you might be able to get a used fixture there.
thelightingman

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Is it ok to run a 175 watt mercury vapor bulb on an hps starter? « Reply #17 on: February 27, 2021, 12:48:09 AM » Author: thelightingman
M57 ballasts you could probably still get from lighting stores or eBay. H39 ballasts you'll have to get NOS from eBay. If you're in the US or Canada you could also try going to your local Habitat Restore and seeing if there's any ballasts or fixtures that can run 175w lamps. 175w MV was a very common wattage so you might be able to get a used fixture there.

I once saw a 175 watt light at a Restore but I went back the next day to get it and it was gone because where I live, they are super popular. I plan to check tomorrow to see if I can find one but for now I am temporarily running it on a 250 watt hps ballast (why I originally posted my question) and the ballast it in 1 of 2 street lights I found at the Restore. It works well but when it is at full brightness, it flashes brighter for a few seconds so that's why I am looking for a dedicated fixture for my bulb.

Rommie
Administrator

View Posts
View Gallery

Andromeda Ascendant

Re: Is it ok to run a 175 watt mercury vapor bulb on an hps starter? « Reply #18 on: February 27, 2021, 07:20:07 AM » Author: Rommie
It's never a good idea to run a discharge lamp on the wrong ballast for long. For a quick test you'll probably be ok, but long term, do try and get the right one.

Ria (aka Rommie) in Aberdeen
Administrator, UK & European time zones. Any questions or problems, please feel free to get in touch :love:

"What greater gift than the love of a cat..?" - Charles Dickens
*** No smiley-only replies, please ***

thelightingman

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Is it ok to run a 175 watt mercury vapor bulb on an hps starter? « Reply #19 on: February 27, 2021, 10:00:33 AM » Author: thelightingman
It's never a good idea to run a discharge lamp on the wrong ballast for long. For a quick test you'll probably be ok, but long term, do try and get the right one.

That's what I am trying to do.

Joe Maurath, Jr.

View Posts
View Gallery

Transgender, Avid About Street Lamps, Insulators.

Re: Is it ok to run a 175 watt mercury vapor bulb on an hps starter? « Reply #20 on: February 27, 2021, 11:54:13 AM » Author: Joe Maurath, Jr.
I have run MVs underwattage on HX ballasts with no problems. However never operate a MV of another wattage on a CWA ballast because you will soon cook it and the capacitor.

"A secret to happiness is letting every situation be what it is, instead of what you think it should be, and then making the best of it."

Please refer to www.insulators.info where I periodically post many images of lights and insulators in the group's Picture Poster Gallery. Thank you.

thelightingman

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Is it ok to run a 175 watt mercury vapor bulb on an hps starter? « Reply #21 on: February 27, 2021, 12:03:58 PM » Author: thelightingman
I have run MVs underwattage on HX ballasts with no problems. However never operate a MV of another wattage on a CWA ballast because you will soon cook it and the capacitor.

I am running mine with a 250 watt hps ballast with capacitor
« Last Edit: February 27, 2021, 12:05:33 PM by thelightingman » Logged

Print 
© 2005-2024 Lighting-Gallery.net | SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies