Author Topic: Who Makes Quality T5 28W Tubes?  (Read 1072 times)
John

View Posts
View Gallery

Who Makes Quality T5 28W Tubes? « on: February 27, 2021, 04:03:22 PM » Author: John
Hi Folks, need some tubes for my workshop. Preferably daylight triphosphor colour. Everyone sells Philips alto, but they don't seem to have a good name on this forum I have noticed! What are your favourite and why?
Ash

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Who Makes Quality T5 28W Tubes? « Reply #1 on: February 27, 2021, 05:23:54 PM » Author: Ash
Hard to recommend anything if you won't be able to get it...

I have seen good results with Philips Master (not Alto, but those are European lamps probably not sold in the US anyway), GE Starcoat (made by Tungsram), and Osram Lumilux

Lamp life and end blackening will depend on how the lamp is started - I think T5's dont tolerate instant start gear nearly as much as T8 do....
John

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Who Makes Quality T5 28W Tubes? « Reply #2 on: February 27, 2021, 07:32:20 PM » Author: John
Sorry Ash I should clarify, I am located in Australia. All the ballasts are preheat :)
AngryHorse

View Posts
View Gallery

Rich

Re: Who Makes Quality T5 28W Tubes? « Reply #3 on: February 28, 2021, 02:33:36 AM » Author: AngryHorse
Preheat T5s?, that’s interesting, when T5 came out in the UK, they were all HF electronic ballasts only?

Current: UK 230V, 50Hz
Power provider: e.on energy
Street lighting in our town: Philips UniStreet LED (gen 1)
Longest serving LED in service at home, (hour count): Energetic mini clear globe: 54,050 hrs @ 10/2/24

"Beauty fades, dumb is forever".......Judge Judy :D

Medved

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Who Makes Quality T5 28W Tubes? « Reply #4 on: February 28, 2021, 03:16:16 AM » Author: Medved
The T5 dont like the low frequency operation, their cathodes overheat locally during the current peak and cool down way too much during the low current around zero crossing, so then sputter after reignition. That is the tax for the cathodes being designed with minimum losses, they have small temperature margin (the average temperature is selfregulated by the emmission/dissipation/temperature balance, but the ripple causes it to fluctuate around the equilibrium point) so need high frequency to make the temperature ripple low enough so it stay within the tight tolerance around the equilibrium point.

So you would need an electronic ballast. Otherwise there is not much point to go to top lamps, when the 50Hz feed will ruin them fast...

No more selfballasted c***

John

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Who Makes Quality T5 28W Tubes? « Reply #5 on: February 28, 2021, 04:52:47 AM » Author: John
I think my terminology is wrong. They are electronic ballasts, but they don't start instantly. It takes maybe a couple of seconds before they strike.

I think I have found some Philips Master TL5 lamps, these should be a good choice?
dor123

View Posts
View Gallery

Other loves are computers, office equipment, A/Cs

Re: Who Makes Quality T5 28W Tubes? « Reply #6 on: February 28, 2021, 05:35:31 AM » Author: dor123
Preheat T5 are all 4W, 6W, 8W and 13W.
14W and over are all electronic.
You can order a programmed start ballast for your 28W T5.
« Last Edit: February 28, 2021, 05:37:33 AM by dor123 » Logged

I"m don't speak English well, and rely on online translating to write in this site.
Please forgive me if my choice of my words looks like offensive, while that isn't my intention.

I only working with the international date format (dd.mm.yyyy).

I lives in Israel, which is a 220-240V, 50hz country.

AngryHorse

View Posts
View Gallery

Rich

Re: Who Makes Quality T5 28W Tubes? « Reply #7 on: February 28, 2021, 10:13:09 AM » Author: AngryHorse
I think my terminology is wrong. They are electronic ballasts, but they don't start instantly. It takes maybe a couple of seconds before they strike.

I think I have found some Philips Master TL5 lamps, these should be a good choice?
Yeah, you can’t go wrong with Philips masters!, the terminology is slightly confusing with LG being a US site, US pre-heat is what we call switch start in the UK, but pre-heat when referring to CFL, is something different again!

Current: UK 230V, 50Hz
Power provider: e.on energy
Street lighting in our town: Philips UniStreet LED (gen 1)
Longest serving LED in service at home, (hour count): Energetic mini clear globe: 54,050 hrs @ 10/2/24

"Beauty fades, dumb is forever".......Judge Judy :D

dor123

View Posts
View Gallery

Other loves are computers, office equipment, A/Cs

Re: Who Makes Quality T5 28W Tubes? « Reply #8 on: February 28, 2021, 12:12:56 PM » Author: dor123
There were magnetically ballasted CFLs, but now they are hard to find.
CFLs that preheats their electrodes, usually uses PTC to delay the starting capacitor. This meaning that they would instant hot restrike without preheating.
The only real programmed start CFLs I've know are Osram Dulux Intelligent, Vario, Facility and Megamen Ingenium CFLs.

I"m don't speak English well, and rely on online translating to write in this site.
Please forgive me if my choice of my words looks like offensive, while that isn't my intention.

I only working with the international date format (dd.mm.yyyy).

I lives in Israel, which is a 220-240V, 50hz country.

Medved

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Who Makes Quality T5 28W Tubes? « Reply #9 on: February 28, 2021, 04:57:15 PM » Author: Medved

These enjoy quite good reputation in Europe...

No more selfballasted c***

Print 
© 2005-2024 Lighting-Gallery.net | SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies