Author Topic: REALLY?  (Read 1822 times)
Walter Knox

View Posts
View Gallery

@WalterKnox
REALLY? « on: February 01, 2021, 09:35:49 PM » Author: Walter Knox
I guess i really should not look at this stuff because it is just making me more mad and making me hate people more. every day it seems that more perfectly good vintage fixtures are being removed and destroyed and it really makes me sick. people don't seem to understand that this stuff is quality and will last forever. they just remove it and junk it or convert it to LED. just really makes me mad every time I see it. And with the fact that fluorescent tubes are getting harder to find i guess it is just going to continue to get worse.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ivy_9EmInZ0

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V0AJibBtyME
Walter Knox

View Posts
View Gallery

@WalterKnox
Re: REALLY? « Reply #1 on: February 01, 2021, 09:40:49 PM » Author: Walter Knox
and then there is this person who has taken something nice, turned it into scrap metal, and is trying to sell it for $500

https://www.ebay.com/itm/VTG-Art-Deco-Fluorescent-Drop-Light-Fixture-Converted-to-LED-Pool-Table-Office/292452306295?hash=item4417840d77:g:lQkAAOSwBV5ahzAU
tolivac

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: REALLY? « Reply #2 on: February 02, 2021, 01:30:58 AM » Author: tolivac
Those lights are no longer COLLECTABLE!!!Now they use crappy LED bulbs!!!!Love how one says-"no longer uses unreliable ballast technology-funnythose ballasts have run for DECADES-unlike how long the crappy LED bulbs will run for!If you have to do this at least get quality,frosted LED bulbs!Glad the one light in that "Fix It shed" at least has diffuser lenses to hide the individual LEDS in the bulbs.
LightsoftheWest

View Posts
View Gallery

SRP for life.

streetlightian
Re: REALLY? « Reply #3 on: March 28, 2021, 07:34:50 PM » Author: LightsoftheWest
Well, I did restore a Holophane Lobay from the 1950s. It doesn't look nearly as original is it once was. It was originally steel gray, but it was so rusted out, I ended up using metallic silver. I had intended to paint it the color it originally was. I did want to put in a standard bulb in it because I don't want to use a 300W incandescent in it. What I'm trying to say here is that I didn't intentionally ruin a perfectly good vintage fixture. It was in really rough condition.

LG's #1 North American light fixture identifier

AZTECH

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: REALLY? « Reply #4 on: March 28, 2021, 08:26:55 PM » Author: AZTECH
I guess i really should not look at this stuff because it is just making me more mad and making me hate people more. every day it seems that more perfectly good vintage fixtures are being removed and destroyed and it really makes me sick. people don't seem to understand that this stuff is quality and will last forever. they just remove it and junk it or convert it to LED. just really makes me mad every time I see it. And with the fact that fluorescent tubes are getting harder to find i guess it is just going to continue to get worse.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ivy_9EmInZ0

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V0AJibBtyME

Understands how you feeling about it but truthfully we are small of group of people who do care about old time antique or vintage fixtures. We cannot salvage it every one pieces on earth but we just do try save some of them and hopefully more new people will join us more to save more old stuffs. But still always small of % of us.
icefoglights

View Posts
View Gallery

ITT Low Pressure Sodium NEMA

GoL
Re: REALLY? « Reply #5 on: March 30, 2021, 09:10:13 PM » Author: icefoglights
At least he converted and saved it.  What gets converted can be converted back.  If it had gone to the scrap bin, that can't be undone.

01010010 01101111 01100010 01100101 01110010 01110100

Cavannus

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: REALLY? « Reply #6 on: April 05, 2021, 10:27:19 PM » Author: Cavannus
I know some people who are not collectors nor lighting enthusiasts, but they do like vintage stuff, including the vintage fluorescent start and humming.
I understand conversion in office or industrial buildings, they do make sense. But in a shed or in a house, the benefit of led conversion is limited. But I think the kind of guy of the video is very practical, I know people like him who were the first to use CFLs on antique lights, drill oil lamps to convert them to electricity, etc.
« Last Edit: May 10, 2021, 12:10:43 AM by Cavannus » Logged
joseph_125

View Posts
View Gallery

GoL
Re: REALLY? « Reply #7 on: April 05, 2021, 11:53:39 PM » Author: joseph_125
At least he converted and saved it.  What gets converted can be converted back.  If it had gone to the scrap bin, that can't be undone.

Yeah, agreed unless the conversion is a particular hack job kind of conversion, stuff like ballast changes can be undone.
Print 
© 2005-2024 Lighting-Gallery.net | SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies