Author Topic: I feel dumb.  (Read 1377 times)
LightsoftheWest

View Posts
View Gallery

SRP for life.

streetlightian
I feel dumb. « on: March 22, 2021, 11:56:47 PM » Author: LightsoftheWest
Well, I've meaning to post this for a little while now. I simply feel like I know absolutely nothing about anything as far as lighting goes, whether it be manufacturing dates, model names, or anything in between. My goal here on L-G is to make information known, but it seems like I may never achieve that goal. I have been corrected constantly about model names. Some members know a lot more than me. They probably know more than I'll ever know in my life. Anything helps.

LG's #1 North American light fixture identifier

fluorescent lover 40

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: I feel dumb. « Reply #1 on: March 23, 2021, 12:12:17 AM » Author: fluorescent lover 40
Hey don't feel bad. I've had my fair share of dumb moments. I know a decent amount, but I don't know everything. I've been corrected many times before. You can PM some of the members who know more than you and ask questions on how to identify a light, how to tell one light from another and so on.
LightsoftheWest

View Posts
View Gallery

SRP for life.

streetlightian
Re: I feel dumb. « Reply #2 on: March 23, 2021, 12:25:33 AM » Author: LightsoftheWest
Hey don't feel bad. I've had my fair share of dumb moments. I know a decent amount, but I don't know everything. I've been corrected many times before. You can PM some of the members who know more than you and ask questions on how to identify a light, how to tell one light from another and so on.
I will try that.

LG's #1 North American light fixture identifier

Bulbman256

View Posts
View Gallery

Mad Max

Bulbman256
Re: I feel dumb. « Reply #3 on: March 23, 2021, 12:38:41 AM » Author: Bulbman256
Hey man don't feel bad, i was a dimwit when i started doing bulb collecting too. You slowly learn all the neat tidbits of lighting history and tech over tiem from others who are kind enough to share there knowledge. :bulbman:

Collecting light bulbs since 2012, a madman since birth.

High Intensity

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: I feel dumb. « Reply #4 on: March 23, 2021, 02:30:44 AM » Author: High Intensity
Don't beat yourself up about this, when I first joined, I knew next to nothing about model names or the like, now I can ID a decent number of fixtures off the top of my head. And I really think you can do the same, you just need time and a bit of help to learn this stuff. I still make mistakes from time to time, but that's a part of learning.
rjluna2

View Posts
View Gallery

Robert

GoL
Re: I feel dumb. « Reply #5 on: March 23, 2021, 07:27:25 AM » Author: rjluna2
Don't feel too bad about that, LightsoftheWest.  I learn something new every day here :D

Pretty, please no more Chinese failure.

CreeRSW207

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: I feel dumb. « Reply #6 on: March 23, 2021, 07:45:29 AM » Author: CreeRSW207
Well, I've meaning to post this for a little while now. I simply feel like I know absolutely nothing about anything as far as lighting goes, whether it be manufacturing dates, model names, or anything in between. My goal here on L-G is to make information known, but it seems like I may never achieve that goal. I have been corrected constantly about model names. Some members know a lot more than me. They probably know more than I'll ever know in my life. Anything helps.
You are most certainly not dumb. Some of the lights I posted, I thought I would never find out the brand until you told me! Don’t worry I have had plenty of dumb moments, especially for NEMA heads! :lol:

Long live the Incandescent streetlights!
Power Company: Eversource
Startup Landscaping/LED retrofit business.

Rommie
Administrator

View Posts
View Gallery

Andromeda Ascendant

Re: I feel dumb. « Reply #7 on: March 23, 2021, 10:09:58 AM » Author: Rommie
Hey, don't feel dumb, I'm an Essex Girl, I've heard them all  :lol:

Ria (aka Rommie) in Aberdeen
Administrator, UK & European time zones. Any questions or problems, please feel free to get in touch :love:

"What greater gift than the love of a cat..?" - Charles Dickens
*** No smiley-only replies, please ***

HPSM250R2

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: I feel dumb. « Reply #8 on: March 23, 2021, 10:29:58 AM » Author: HPSM250R2
You're 14 years old lol. There's plenty of members here including myself that have been researching and collecting much longer than you have. You're not going to just know everything it takes years to learn it all. And even then there's still going to be plenty more to learn as other, more rare things are discovered.
CreeRSW207

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: I feel dumb. « Reply #9 on: March 23, 2021, 11:06:19 AM » Author: CreeRSW207
You're 14 years old lol. There's plenty of members here including myself that have been researching and collecting much longer than you have. You're not going to just know everything it takes years to learn it all. And even then there's still going to be plenty more to learn as other, more rare things are discovered.
I remember when I first joined, I only had a basic understanding of street lights. By being here and learning everyday, I’ve gotten much smarter in all of that stuff, and I have much to still learn lol.

Long live the Incandescent streetlights!
Power Company: Eversource
Startup Landscaping/LED retrofit business.

Joe Maurath, Jr.

View Posts
View Gallery

Transgender, Avid About Street Lamps, Insulators.

Re: I feel dumb. « Reply #10 on: March 23, 2021, 11:11:50 AM » Author: Joe Maurath, Jr.

I have been into lighting for a few decades and I still am learning new stuff! That is one of the exciting things I find true about this and all of my other hobbies :-). The fun facts, figures, history, background and the rest of what I have found out about lamps, lighting, fixtures, etc., I am pleased to share with everyone else here on this site. That is one of the reasons why I am here. As an experienced lighting collector and researcher it is my pleasure and personal duty to mentor and educate others. And this is a great place to do that! :mv: :bumh: :mvc:

"A secret to happiness is letting every situation be what it is, instead of what you think it should be, and then making the best of it."

Please refer to www.insulators.info where I periodically post many images of lights and insulators in the group's Picture Poster Gallery. Thank you.

AngryHorse

View Posts
View Gallery

Rich

Re: I feel dumb. « Reply #11 on: March 23, 2021, 03:33:05 PM » Author: AngryHorse
You’re slowly starting to amass lighting knowledge at 14, exactly the same age I did, I do feel sorry for you however, you’re entering an interest that has rapidly changed to how it was in 1984, when I was 14.
I started really learning about lighting 4 years after classic lamps like SOX were installed in our town and even though it was an age old light source by that time, it was brand new to me!

1984 was also still the heyday of the linear sodium lamps in my town, and where mercury lamps still existed in full service in other towns, and a time where we in Cheshire hadn’t even experienced HPS street lighting yet!
It’s sad to think that today’s new lighting enthusiasts are seeing all these things obsolete and rare to find today, even the fluorescent tubes are on their way out of existing  :-\
A time where you now have to pay out big bucks to study lamps that I took for granted, that were everywhere!

I’ve got the upmost respect for people entering into an interest in lighting today, as their having to fight to try and get lamps and control equipment before it’s all signed into history!

Current: UK 230V, 50Hz
Power provider: e.on energy
Street lighting in our town: Philips UniStreet LED (gen 1)
Longest serving LED in service at home, (hour count): Energetic mini clear globe: 54,050 hrs @ 10/2/24

"Beauty fades, dumb is forever".......Judge Judy :D

alexd120

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: I feel dumb. « Reply #12 on: March 23, 2021, 03:49:15 PM » Author: alexd120
I have been collecting for a long time now.
 And over those years ive fried and grenade several ballast. That was back when i knew nothing.
 When I got my 1st 4 fixture I knew nothing about the different wattages and bulbs lengths.

Rapid start ,preheat metal halide mercury vapor and high pressure sodium for life.

Metal Halide Boy

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: I feel dumb. « Reply #13 on: March 25, 2021, 08:14:35 AM » Author: Metal Halide Boy
It`s okay, you`ll learn someday. I`ve been corrected on here too (sometimes harshly) and I`ve held up and LEARNED somthing! I diden`t used to know hardly anything when I joined, and my spelling was horrible. In fact I thought a refractor was a "Lens Refractor" and any bucket light, NEMA or yardblaster, was a "Dusk to Dawn", as that`s what e-conolight calls there LED replacements. I used to like Metal Halide best but I don`t any more, now I like Murcury Vapor best. But I still like MH. You might too, once you come to know more.

If you can`t understand something that I said, just ask me. I ask other folks what they mean, too.
wide-lite 1000

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: I feel dumb. « Reply #14 on: March 25, 2021, 10:20:18 PM » Author: wide-lite 1000
Don't worry about it ! Making mistakes is how we learn !! I can't count the number of times I was wrong when I thought I was right .  :-[

Collector,Hoarder,Pack-rat! Clear mercury Rules!!

Print 
© 2005-2024 Lighting-Gallery.net | SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies