Author Topic: Quote within a quote  (Read 266 times)
Bulbman256

View Posts
View Gallery

Mad Max

Bulbman256
Quote within a quote « on: March 31, 2021, 01:48:55 PM » Author: Bulbman256
Hey all,

was coppermine updated? Because i saw a quote within a quote and was wondering that. To test this, someonequote this and i will quote the message back. :bulbman:

Collecting light bulbs since 2012

sox35
Administrator

View Posts
View Gallery

Andromeda Ascendant

Re: Quote within a quote « Reply #1 on: March 31, 2021, 02:07:05 PM » Author: sox35
Hey all,

was coppermine updated? Because i saw a quote within a quote and was wondering that. To test this, someonequote this and i will quote the message back. :bulbman:

Not that I'm aware of, but I'll check with Patrick, Coppermine is his department.

Ria (aka Rommie) in Aberdeen
It'll be all right in the end, and if it isn't all right, it isn't the end :love:

Administrator, UK and European time zones. Any questions or problems, please feel free to get in touch
:love:

Bulbman256

View Posts
View Gallery

Mad Max

Bulbman256
Re: Quote within a quote « Reply #2 on: March 31, 2021, 03:04:05 PM » Author: Bulbman256
Not that I'm aware of, but I'll check with Patrick, Coppermine is his department.

Okay, thank you! 8)

sox35
Administrator

View Posts
View Gallery

Andromeda Ascendant

Re: Quote within a quote « Reply #3 on: March 31, 2021, 03:06:37 PM » Author: sox35
I'm confused now. Coppermine is the gallery, SMF is the forum, which particular quote are you referring to..?

It'll be all right in the end, and if it isn't all right, it isn't the end :love:

Administrator, UK and European time zones. Any questions or problems, please feel free to get in touch

Bulbman256

View Posts
View Gallery

Mad Max

Bulbman256
Re: Quote within a quote « Reply #4 on: March 31, 2021, 03:24:54 PM » Author: Bulbman256
I'm confused now. Coppermine is the gallery, SMF is the forum, which particular quote are you referring to..?

I was confusing the two. it seems emeber xmaslightsguy figured out how to write the quote format into another quote, seen here: sorry for my stupid question. :-[

sox35
Administrator

View Posts
View Gallery

Andromeda Ascendant

Re: Quote within a quote « Reply #5 on: March 31, 2021, 03:28:30 PM » Author: sox35
If you mean quoting multiple people in a single message, that's complicated to do, but not impossible. I thought you meant quoting someone and including a quote they made, which is an option that can be set, but is turned off on this site.

xmaslightguy

View Posts
View Gallery

zzz

GoL ATL
Re: Quote within a quote « Reply #6 on: March 31, 2021, 08:30:13 PM » Author: xmaslightguy
Quote from: Bulbman256
Quote from: sox35
  I was confusing the two. it seems emeber xmaslightsguy figured out how to write the quote format into another quote, seen here: sorry for my stupid question. :-[
Double quoting .. like when I've done this :) ...
Yeah, you have to do it manually, there's no built-in function for it. (though interestingly it does color the boxes differently on its on)

So no its not a stupid question Bulbman256!

Forget the lights..just give me a good lightning storm & tornado to go watch...

sox35
Administrator

View Posts
View Gallery

Andromeda Ascendant

Re: Quote within a quote « Reply #7 on: March 31, 2021, 08:33:51 PM » Author: sox35
That's nested quoting. There's an option for it in the site config, but it's turned off as it can make posts far too long and complex when several people do it one after another. If you've ever used Usenet you'll know how irritating it can be, especially when people top-post (write their text above that which they're quoting instead of below it  :curse:)

xmaslightguy

View Posts
View Gallery

zzz

GoL ATL
Re: Quote within a quote « Reply #8 on: March 31, 2021, 10:19:46 PM » Author: xmaslightguy
That's nested quoting. There's an option for it in the site config, but it's turned off as it can make posts far too long and complex when several people do it one after another. If you've ever used Usenet you'll know how irritating it can be, especially when people top-post (write their text above that which they're quoting instead of below it  :curse:)
Yep, you can deff over-do it! I will use it on occasion to reply to a couple posts together.

And oh yeah I used to use usenet allot! (good old days there :) ) Sadly allot of the groups are mostly dead and/or have gone to spambots now. Will admit I kinda miss it..that's where I started internet-wize, back before stuff like websites existed!

And major .UG. to people top-posting!
I also hate that top-replies has become the normal thing in emails these days.

sox35
Administrator

View Posts
View Gallery

Andromeda Ascendant

Re: Quote within a quote « Reply #9 on: April 01, 2021, 07:16:42 AM » Author: sox35
I also hate that top-replies has become the normal thing in emails these days.
Not only that, but people never trim the quotes, so you end up with a one-line reply and three pages of quotes underneath >:(

xmaslightguy

View Posts
View Gallery

zzz

GoL ATL
Re: Quote within a quote « Reply #10 on: April 01, 2021, 08:39:17 PM » Author: xmaslightguy
Not only that, but people never trim the quotes, so you end up with a one-line reply and three pages of quotes underneath >:(
Oh yep that for sure too! I usually cut off everything except the last reply...maybe that's OCD .lol. but a whole long list of stuff bugs me. :)

sox35
Administrator

View Posts
View Gallery

Andromeda Ascendant

Re: Quote within a quote « Reply #11 on: April 01, 2021, 08:44:16 PM » Author: sox35
Oh yep that for sure too! I usually cut off everything except the last reply...maybe that's OCD .lol. but a whole long list of stuff bugs me. :)
It seems we share many common traits. I think it's something to do with my autism, it seems a lot of people here have it to some degree or other. I suppose everyone does, really, it's just how strongly it affects you in life.

xmaslightguy

View Posts
View Gallery

zzz

GoL ATL
Re: Quote within a quote « Reply #12 on: April 02, 2021, 10:29:06 PM » Author: xmaslightguy
It seems we share many common traits. I think it's something to do with my autism, it seems a lot of people here have it to some degree or other. I suppose everyone does, really, it's just how strongly it affects you in life.
I do remember there being a thread somewhere on here at one point, where multiple members were talking about having it. Does make me wonder if there might be some connection where autism maybe generates an attraction to light or something?

As far as I know I don't have it, and have never known anyone in person that had it(atleast to my knoledge I haven't..)
But like you say there's the how strongly it affects thing.

Print 
© 2005-2021 Lighting-Gallery.net | SMF 2.0.18 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines